Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: File sharing won't turn on

21 Nov 2010   #11
patwhatsthat

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

What adapter are you using? Manufacturer, model name and number and Rev#.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Nov 2010   #12
SteveH

Win7-64 (Pro)
 
 

Like I said, everything was working fine until a crash. A "Revert to last working configuration" got everything working except the LAN connection to my workgroup. Internet connection was fine. After trying everything I did a system Restore and then lost the Internet as well. UNDO of the system restore did not work.

This is a legit copy of WIN7-32

I'm not at that PC now but the adaptor was an Intel Gigabit something (?) and the wireless router is a Dlink dir-655 (or similar). The DLink is wired to the PC with the problem and all other PCs, smart phones, etc are working fine with the DLink so I don't think the problem is there.

Is it possible to reinstall JUST the networking section of WIN7 or repair only. I don't want a dirty reinstall if I can help it.

Or is there something I/we haven't tried?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #13
SteveH

Win7-64 (Pro)
 
 

Is a complete reinstall of Windows my only option at this point?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Nov 2010   #14
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Like I said, everything was working fine until a crash. A "Revert to last working configuration" got everything working except the LAN connection to my workgroup. Internet connection was fine. After trying everything I did a system Restore and then lost the Internet as well. UNDO of the system restore did not work.

This is a legit copy of WIN7-32

I'm not at that PC now but the adaptor was an Intel Gigabit something (?) and the wireless router is a Dlink dir-655 (or similar). The DLink is wired to the PC with the problem and all other PCs, smart phones, etc are working fine with the DLink so I don't think the problem is there.

Is it possible to reinstall JUST the networking section of WIN7 or repair only. I don't want a dirty reinstall if I can help it.

Or is there something I/we haven't tried?
I have the same router as you do, works very well for me.

Try running this batch file which will reset winsock, reset the TCP/IP stack and release renew your IP.


Download Renew IP + Reset Winsock Batch File

To get file and printer sharing working again you should try delating the idstore.sst file from the following location.
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #15
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Are you (were you) running a HomeGroup or a workgroup?

It sounds like you have 2 NICs in this system, one wired, one wireless... is that correct? If so, try disabling or uninstalling the wireless to test the wired connection and sharing. Why 2 NICs? Is this a lappy or desktop?

As for a repair, yes you can do a repair by booting the Win7 DVD and choosing repair.

Please fill in your system specs, as just stating "OS Win7-32" really doesnt help us help you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #16
SteveH

Win7-64 (Pro)
 
 

No, just one network, DLink (Dir-815?) wirless. The problem PC is hardwired to it. I'll have to look up exact specs when I get home. Network is: the problem desktop PC with Win7, another desktop also hardwired with XPHome and two laptops, one with XP and one Win7 both wireless. The other 3 PCs can still see, share with each other. I am running a workgroup. In case you haven't read the entire thread, everything was fine until a crash, (Windows splash screen then self reboot) Malware? Virus?. I got to a "go back to last know working configuration" screen and took that option. Everything was fine but no LAN. Went to a previous System Restore then also lost Internet (as well as LAN). "SERVER" service won't start (if it needs to be).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #17
SteveH

Win7-64 (Pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
To get file and printer sharing working again you should try delating the idstore.sst file from the following location.
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
Tried this, same result.
Isn't the WINSOCK reset for the DLink? That seems to be working fine for the other computers I don't want to mess with it.

My specs: Intel Core2 6600@2.4 2GB. Network Adaptor Intel 82566DC Gigabit v 9.13.4.1, 3-26-09. DLink Dir-655.

I compared the SERVICES running with the working WIN7 laptop in the workgroup.
The following services are running in the working WIN7 laptop that are NOT running in the problem WIN7 desktop:

Base Filtering Engine (Error 2- The system cannot find the specified file)
Computer Browser (Error 1168: Dependent services not running)
BHCP Client (Error 1168: " " )
Function discovery.
Others....

I think most of these and maybe others are network related.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #18
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
To get file and printer sharing working again you should try delating the idstore.sst file from the following location.
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
Tried this, same result.
Isn't the WINSOCK reset for the DLink? That seems to be working fine for the other computers I don't want to mess with it.

My specs: Intel Core2 6600@2.4 2GB. Network Adaptor Intel 82566DC Gigabit v 9.13.4.1, 3-26-09. DLink Dir-655.

I compared the SERVICES running with the working WIN7 laptop in the workgroup.
The following services are running in the working WIN7 laptop that are NOT running in the problem WIN7 desktop:

Base Filtering Engine (Error 2- The system cannot find the specified file)
Computer Browser (Error 1168: Dependent services not running)
BHCP Client (Error 1168: " " )
Function discovery.
Others....

I think most of these and maybe others are network related.
Resetting winsock fixes problems with the TCP/ip stack and is standard procedure for fixing these sorts of problems. If it didn't work I wouldn't have posted it. It has nothing to do with resetting the router.

In fact that batch file I posted has fixed so many problems I've lost count, so not only does it work but it's perfectly safe to run. I already explained exactly what it does in the last post but I'll repeat that in case you missed it last time. The batch file resets winsock, resets the TCP/IP stack and release renew your IP on your computer. It doesn't do a thing to the router, you have a reset button on the router for that.


I would also try a repair installation from the Windows CD at this point because you don't have much to lose. Repair installs fix problems just like the ones you seem to be having on a regular basis. Recent example > Win 7 Pro Network problem

Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #19
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

I agree, try a system repair.... it cant hurt! Plus you have all day waiting on the b1rd!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2010   #20
SteveH

Win7-64 (Pro)
 
 

I want to update you before I try the WINSOCK batch file. I mentioned the system restore didn't work but it occured to me yesterday to import an old registry I saved from right after I recoved from the crash. I GOT MY INTERNET BACK but still no LAN. I can see and connect to others and a network printer, but they can't see or connect to me. Other symptoms are the same, 'File sharing' radio button won't stay selected, SERVER service won't start. Still run the batch file? PS: I haven't run a batch file since the DOS days.... how is it done again?

Thanks for your continued help! I think I'm getting close.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 File sharing won't turn on




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Turn off Media Sharing
Like the title says... How on earth do you turn off media sharing? Windows makes it so easy to turn on media sharing but for the life of me I cannot find how to turn it off!!! :cry: This has to be one of the most frustrating things. It should be so simple yet is so difficult!
Media Center
Network Discovery and File Sharing - Can't Turn On
On my desktop computer, when I go to Network & Sharing Center and select Change Advanced Sharing Settings, Turn off network discovery and Turn off file and print sharing are both selected. I click on the Turn on options and then click on Save Changes but when I come back to this screen, they're...
Network & Sharing
Cannot turn on Network discovery and file sharing
I have 2 PCs connected to a Win 2003 Ent server domain (not R2 - this is the original 2003 version), although the Domain was originally setup using Win2K My laptop, which connects wirelessly has network discovery turned on and no probs. My desktop (Wkstn1), however, does not allow me to turn on...
Network & Sharing
Cannot turn on Network Discovery and File Sharing
My computer was infected with some trojans. I managed to clean it up with Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot S&D. It's running much more smoothly now, but I'm still having one annoying problem. I can't turn on Network Discovery and File Sharing, and I no longer get the option to join my...
Network & Sharing
cannot turn on File Discovery and File and Print Sharing
I am trying to set up file sharing between my two pcs and am unable to access my laptop files from my desktop. The problem I believe is that on the “change sharing options for different network profiles” page (Control Panel>Network sharing) I cannot turn on the Network discovery and...
Network & Sharing
File and Printer Sharing won't turn On after saving changes
Hello, I've been trying to enable File and printer Sharing but after pressing Save Changes it turn off again, what's wrong Please Help!!
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App