Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unidentified network - invalid IP configuration


30 Nov 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Unidentified network - invalid IP configuration

As per a lot of other people on here, I'm having issues with connecting my desktop PC to my BigPond router. It will connect via wireless (have an installed D-Link DWA525 wireless card) but will not connect via LAN.

I've changed the IP, DNS and Default gateways to the same as the other working PC's in the house, but still no luck. The mobo uses Realtek GBE Family PCI-E controllers, but for some reason it won't move off 10Mbps (even when I try to tell it to change this).

I have tried new drivers, and have tried uninstalling drivers and letting windows install its own. None have worked. I've disabled V6, didn't work.

My IPCONFIG ALL shows up the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\CJHBeast>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CJHBeast-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : BigPond

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-6F-65-3D-7A-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9524:a51e:e2af:166e%14(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 421293925
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-82-40-63-1C-6F-65-3D-2C-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : BigPond
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-AF-F7-68-68-43
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41b:81e0:e1d8:bb33%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 01 December, 2010 7:05:54 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 02 December, 2010 7:06:52 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 203206647
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-82-40-63-1C-6F-65-3D-2C-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Here is the IPCONFIG/ALL from this laptop when connected to the same LAN cable:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chris-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : BigPond

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : BigPond
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-B7-A8-D5-67
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fdf0:d04:197c:465a%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.17(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 1 December 2010 7:44:39 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 2 December 2010 7:44:39 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268441015
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-2E-14-B7-00-15-B7-A8-D5-67

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I have no idea why I can't get it work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cjhod View Post
As per a lot of other people on here, I'm having issues with connecting my desktop PC to my BigPond router. It will connect via wireless (have an installed D-Link DWA525 wireless card) but will not connect via LAN.

I've changed the IP, DNS and Default gateways to the same as the other working PC's in the house, but still no luck. The mobo uses Realtek GBE Family PCI-E controllers, but for some reason it won't move off 10Mbps (even when I try to tell it to change this).

I have tried new drivers, and have tried uninstalling drivers and letting windows install its own. None have worked. I've disabled V6, didn't work.

My IPCONFIG ALL shows up the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\CJHBeast>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CJHBeast-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : BigPond

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-6F-65-3D-7A-18
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9524:a51e:e2af:166e%14(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 421293925
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-82-40-63-1C-6F-65-3D-2C-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : BigPond
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-525 Wireless N 150 Desktop Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1C-AF-F7-68-68-43
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41b:81e0:e1d8:bb33%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 01 December, 2010 7:05:54 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 02 December, 2010 7:06:52 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 203206647
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-82-40-63-1C-6F-65-3D-2C-37

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Here is the IPCONFIG/ALL from this laptop when connected to the same LAN cable:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Chris-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : BigPond

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : BigPond
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-B7-A8-D5-67
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fdf0:d04:197c:465a%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.17(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 1 December 2010 7:44:39 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 2 December 2010 7:44:39 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 268441015
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-2E-14-B7-00-15-B7-A8-D5-67

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I have no idea why I can't get it work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Two suggestions.
1-dont use IPv6 as on some system it has connectivity issues.

2-I notice the DHCP IAID numbers are different for the working and non working..

Not using IPv6 might help with the 10 Mb problems well


Ken J
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2010   #3

 

Think Zig hit it in the head ^^


disable IPv6 and enable DHCP and you should be ok (most likely DCHP wasn't processing Ipv6 requests)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Nov 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brady View Post
Think Zig hit it in the head ^^


disable IPv6 and enable DHCP and you should be ok (most likely DCHP wasn't processing Ipv6 requests)

Ok, how do I enable DHCP?

I've already disabled IPv6 and it made no difference. But I'm unsure of how to enable DHCP.

I also have a weird issue with my LAN connection speed in that it shows up as only 10Mbps, even though I know it can run at 100Mbps. I've tried to change it manually, but it makes no difference.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2010   #5

 

properties of your LAN adapter (ipv4 properties)
"Obtain IP address automatically"



* you may want to restart the machine or run "ipconfig /renew"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Doesn't seem to have worked. Still not allowing me to connect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2010   #7

 

did you renew your adapter's ip address by restarting or runnin ipconfig /renew?


If so, please post screen shot of new Ipconfig sheet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brady View Post
did you renew your adapter's ip address by restarting or runnin ipconfig /renew?


If so, please post screen shot of new Ipconfig sheet

This is the error that returned when I tried to run the IPCONFIG/RENEW

--------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\CJHBeast>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : The sys
tem cannot find the file specified.

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.


C:\Users\CJHBeast>
---------------------------------------------
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Which A/V software do you have installed on this machine? Please disable or remove the A/V for testing purposes. If you have anything from apple or Adobe installed then the bonjour service could be part of the problem.

Disabling IPv6 isn't going to fix anything for you, every router made in the last 15 years has IPv6 functionality. Don't change the default Ipv4 properties, leave them at default with DHCP enabled. Do not designate the DNS server or anything else in the ipv4 properties window, use the routers settings for DNS,DHCP, default gateway.

You should also disable the wireless adaptor when testing the wired connection.

After doing all that Try running this batch file which will reset winsock, reset the TCP/IP stack and release renew your IP. After all that please post another screen shot of your ipconfig /all like in the picture below.




Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified network - invalid IP configuration-my-ipconfig-all.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I managed to get it working yesterday afternoon by manually assigning an IP in the range of 192.168.1.1-10 and having the default gateway as 192.168.1.254.

It appears the router we have has two gateway IP's, which is weird in itself, but this is working for now, so I won't touch anything else. It also fixed my 10Mbps problem. As soon as I changed these settings and plugged the LAN cable back in, the network connected and gave me internet access.

Also, in relation to the above, I do have Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 installed, but I coudln't find any Bonjour or Id Strings matching those in the services list that others had mentioned having issues with. Could this software still have been the issue?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unidentified network - invalid IP configuration




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Unidentified network - invalid IP configuration
Thread Forum
Intermittent invalid IP configuration Network & Sharing
Troubleshooting Invalid IP Configuration Network & Sharing
How to avoid "invalid IP configuration" connection error? Network & Sharing
"Invalid IP Configuration" on most wireless networks. Network & Sharing
please help! unidentified public network with invalid ip Network & Sharing
Unidentified Public Network & Invalid IP Address Network & Sharing
Unidentified network - invalid ip address Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33