Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: File Sharing between W7 & XP

01 Dec 2010   #1

XP Pro SP3 | Vista Home Premium x86 | Windows 7 Pro x86
 
 
File Sharing between W7 & XP

Hi,

I am trying to use the network through wireless router between my Desktop (XP Pro SP3) & Laptop (Win 7 Pro). Able to view my shared folders & printers in each of the PC's but am not able to access them. Getting the following error messages respectively;

Desktop (XP Pro SP3) - Network Name 1234
Quote:
\\ABCD\Documents is not accessible. You might not have the permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.
Laptop (Win 7 Pro) - Network Name ABCD
Quote:
Network Error
Windows cannot access \\1234\Documents

You do not have permission to access \\1234\Documents. Contact your network administrator to request access.
Additional Info:
1) Windows Resource Tool Kit is installed on Desktop (XP Pro). And have entered the following commands:
net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

2) No 3rd Party Firewall software is being used. Have allowed File and Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall on both PC's.

Pls assist in resolving this issue.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Dec 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This usually relates to a permissions issue. Try the tutorial in the link below for the win 7 machine.

Sharing and Permissions

For XP permissions it's in the link below.
Windows XP: Set permissions for folders and files
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2010   #3

XP Pro SP3 | Vista Home Premium x86 | Windows 7 Pro x86
 
 

Thanks chev65 for your reply. I guess permissions was the key to the problem.

But am a bit surprised why the permissions issue came up now. As my laptop (Windows 7 Pro) was previously networked with my desktop (XP SP2) & was in perfect sync with the network. Now I had changed my desktop & installed it with XP SP3.

Am facing the following issues;

1) I am able to rename any shared file/ folder of the XP Desktop on my Laptop. But I am getting an error message renaming any shared file/ folder of the Laptop on Desktop. Neither am able to copy any files to the shared folders to my Laptop on Desktop.

2) Earlier, I was sharing only the required folders & now I have shared the complete drives on both the systems. But still I get those error messages on some of the folders in the drive.

3) Security: There are other machines within my network, now is it possible that I give full access to the drives of my desktop & laptop to each other and restricted access to other machines???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

I'm glad the original sharing problem was fixed by checking the permission settings.

If you need more leverage over those files you can try taking ownership of them. The link below will put a shortcut in your context menu to take ownership of which ever file you need full access permissions for.
Take Ownership Shortcut

For full drive access, besides setting the usual permission settings you also need to go into the Security tab of the drive to allow for permissions there by adding "Everyone" to the access list. The picture below shows you how. Although it's safer from a security stand point to share the entire User folder rather than the entire drive.

As for giving individual User permissions for access to only certain files, that is a bit more complicated. In order to do that you need to set up a seperate User group on both machines then you can share only certain files with the special user through that User group.


Attached Thumbnails
File Sharing between W7 & XP-sharing-c-drive-everyone.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2010   #5

XP Pro SP3 | Vista Home Premium x86 | Windows 7 Pro x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
For full drive access, besides setting the usual permission settings you also need to go into the Security tab of the drive to allow for permissions there by adding "Everyone" to the access list.
Was able to access the complete drives by giving Full Control to 'Everyone'. Now is that secure, how can I make it secure?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
In order to do that you need to set up a seperate User group on both machines then you can share only certain files with the special user through that User group.
Will we able to access/ add the user on the laptop of the desktop or vice-e-versa?

As was trying to add the same but could'nt. Have single users on both the machines. Guest account on XP is turned 'ON' & on Windows 7 is turned 'OFF'. Changed the name of the user on the desktop to same as on the laptop. On desktop could add only the desktop user & similarly on laptop.

Now after doing so & removing full control from 'Everyone', am able to read/ write on the shared drives on my laptop Windows 7. But when I try to do the same on XP desktop am getting error message of being write protected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Parry View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
For full drive access, besides setting the usual permission settings you also need to go into the Security tab of the drive to allow for permissions there by adding "Everyone" to the access list.
Was able to access the complete drives by giving Full Control to 'Everyone'. Now is that secure, how can I make it secure?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
In order to do that you need to set up a seperate User group on both machines then you can share only certain files with the special user through that User group.
Will we able to access/ add the user on the laptop of the desktop or vice-e-versa?

As was trying to add the same but could'nt. Have single users on both the machines. Guest account on XP is turned 'ON' & on Windows 7 is turned 'OFF'. Changed the name of the user on the desktop to same as on the laptop. On desktop could add only the desktop user & similarly on laptop.

Now after doing so & removing full control from 'Everyone', am able to read/ write on the shared drives on my laptop Windows 7. But when I try to do the same on XP desktop am getting error message of being write protected.
I don't have any XP machines to test anything with, so your best bet is to look up sharing permissions settings for XP and go from there. For sharing with just the single XP machine you would need to set up a seperate new User on your Windows 7 machine and set up shares from there with the XP machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #7

XP Pro SP3 | Vista Home Premium x86 | Windows 7 Pro x86
 
 

How can I enable Password Protected Sharing specially on XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2010   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Parry View Post
How can I enable Password Protected Sharing specially on XP?
Try this Password Protect Folders in XP - WorldStart Computer Tips and Computer Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #9

XP Pro SP3 | Vista Home Premium x86 | Windows 7 Pro x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacee View Post
Thanks Jacee for your reply, but I guess we would get the option of 'Make this Folder Private' only under 'Simple File Sharing'; whereas I have disabled that & working with Advanced File Sharing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2010   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

there is another way you can share files between systems using dc++
all you need to do is download dc++ and ynhub
install dc++ to all the systems you want to share the data on - you can even share data between windows and linux - and then install ynhub on any one the the systems you want to use as a host. then run command prompt and type ipconfig and hit enter
there look for the ip address of the network adapter you want to use and in ynhub type that ip address in the host ip collum
then in dc under file go to quick connect and type the same ip
in preferences under sharing add the folders you want to share on each system and your sharing is set up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 File Sharing between W7 & XP




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: File Sharing between W7 & XP
Thread Forum
File/folder sharing "Shared" column and sharing all the contents Network & Sharing
cannot turn on File Discovery and File and Print Sharing Network & Sharing
Solved file sharing with W7 and XP Network & Sharing
Problem with file copying adversely affecting media/file sharing & WMC Performance & Maintenance
File Sharing and Homegroup Sharing Problem Network & Sharing
File sharing- Help!!! Network & Sharing
File sharing on/off Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33