Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Speed Test Results?

11 Dec 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Speed Test Results?

Hello,
I was wondering why my download speed is 1.58mb/s when its suppose to be 3.00mb/s. I have the At@t DSL pro internet package, and its advertised as having 3mb/s download speed so why am i getting 1.58?
Ive tested it on a few sites and they have all came up with about the same results:



Any ideas on how to get it near 3mb/s?
Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Dec 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoGoodNamesLeft View Post
Hello,
I was wondering why my download speed is 1.58mb/s when its suppose to be 3.00mb/s. I have the At@t DSL pro internet package, and its advertised as having 3mb/s download speed so why am i getting 1.58?
Ive tested it on a few sites and they have all came up with about the same results:



Any ideas on how to get it near 3mb/s?
Thanks.

Unfortunately there isnt much you can do. ADSL (and pair gain adsl) is dependent on distance from the switching statation. SBC (and att+t) dont promise the 3 Mb downloads they say it is optimum or normal. In fact they dont even promise 24 hour availability.

I had DSL for 3 years so I know your pain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoGoodNamesLeft View Post
Hello,
I was wondering why my download speed is 1.58mb/s when its suppose to be 3.00mb/s. I have the At@t DSL pro internet package, and its advertised as having 3mb/s download speed so why am i getting 1.58?
Ive tested it on a few sites and they have all came up with about the same results:



Any ideas on how to get it near 3mb/s?
Thanks.

Unfortunately there isnt much you can do. ADSL (and pair gain adsl) is dependent on distance from the switching statation. SBC (and att+t) dont promise the 3 Mb downloads they say it is optimum or normal. In fact they dont even promise 24 hour availability.

I had DSL for 3 years so I know your pain.
The thing is that 1.5mb/s is what the lower package is called DSL Direct Express, so im getting the speed of a lower package with a higher price!
Do you know of any other good companies i could change to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Dec 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

It's like zigzag told you...they never ever guarantee a set speed. What you could do is complain to them so they have to measure the line to see if there is some faulty equipment on their part to blame.

(I BET if you switch to DSL Direct Express you'll get even less throughput

-DG
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SledgeDG View Post
It's like zigzag told you...they never ever guarantee a set speed. What you could do is complain to them so they have to measure the line to see if there is some faulty equipment on their part to blame.

(I BET if you switch to DSL Direct Express you'll get even less throughput

-DG
Ok thanks.
I might give them a call later today.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #6

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
 
 

You have to pay twice as much to get half as much.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #7

windows 7 RTM
 
 

Call Att, They have your settings wrong. I use the lower speed and it is
consistently the same speed. I used to have the same option which you are using and it consistently tested at about 3MPS.

They use a Governor which will hold your speed to what you paid for. I have rarely
had any download run slower than it should. It does happen occasionally but not
very often.

Call 1800 288 2020 and ask for Tech Support.

Good luck
Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rerice View Post
Call Att, They have your settings wrong. I use the lower speed and it is
consistently the same speed. I used to have the same option which you are using and it consistently tested at about 3MPS.

They use a Governor which will hold your speed to what you paid for. I have rarely
had any download run slower than it should. It does happen occasionally but not
very often.

Call 1800 288 2020 and ask for Tech Support.

Good luck
Richard
Thanks,
I was looking for the number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I've used ATT for the past 9 years and have been relatively satisfied over that time. I did have a speed problem a few years back and called the local office. They sent a guy out that checked on a switching station (I think that's what it was called) and they found some problem there. Corrected it, and my problems cleared up.

However, as zigzag stated the speed they tell you is optimum and not guaranteed. I have the 6.0 Mb and get around 5.15 on an average day, and some days it may be in the high 4's.

I don't think you'll get the hoped for 3.0, but I think you should be getting 2.5+.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Speed Test Results?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33