Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help to Homegroup


07 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 8.1 PRO
 
 
Help to Homegroup

hey guys i need some help regarding homegroup ... i already made a homegroup but how can i join using my other computer? my desktop is wired connected through internet and my laptop is using WIFI

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jan 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

From what I was told.....Both have to be on at the same time to share data.
I could be wrong so wait till you get a more positive answer.

I have same set up (laptop and desktop) but do not homegroup with the two. Using two different firewalls and AV programs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 8.1 PRO
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
From what I was told.....Both have to be on at the same time to share data.
I could be wrong so wait till you get a more positive answer.

I have same set up (laptop and desktop) but do not homegroup with the two. Using two different firewalls and AV programs.

okay thanks for the details.. so it should be both WIFI or both connected wired?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

No. My laptop is connected through the DSL router provided by AT&T Uverse.
I am using laptop now and desktop is off. Mine is not set up for homegroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 8.1 PRO
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
No. My laptop is connected through the DSL router provided by AT&T Uverse.
I am using laptop now and desktop is off. Mine is not set up for homegroup.

i didnt get what you mean sir. can you please elaborate more
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I get my internet connection through a DSL line provided by AT&T uverse. It's a package deal that brings in TV and internet connection.
With that in mind my desktop is cable wired from their router which in turn my wifi laptop is connected.
I can use one or both no matter which one I choose to use. But I don't have a home group connection between the laptop and the desktop.
To my little knowledge of home group they both must be on at the same time to share info between each other. Which I choose not to do. If one gets infected I don't want both to be. That is why I use different AV's and firewalls in each.
Hope that explains it better Kupalski.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 8.1 PRO
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
I get my internet connection through a DSL line provided by AT&T uverse. It's a package deal that brings in TV and internet connection.
With that in mind my desktop is cable wired from their router which in turn my wifi laptop is connected.
I can use one or both no matter which one I choose to use. But I don't have a home group connection between the laptop and the desktop.
To my little knowledge of home group they both must be on at the same time to share info between each other. Which I choose not to do. If one gets infected I don't want both to be. That is why I use different AV's and firewalls in each.
Hope that explains it better Kupalski.
I get ny internet on the same provider also.. My desktop and laptop are on when im doing the homegroup but i cant find the join button thats my problem. Both also on the same av
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Follow this tutorial..
Both computer's must have the same OS/password etc...
Homegroup - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2011   #9

Windows 8.1 PRO
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Follow this tutorial..
Both computer's must have the same OS/password etc...
Homegroup - Create
i followed those steps and after that where can i find the join button?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This problem usually has to do with the time/date settings being out of sync with the other machines.

It can also be caused by Ipv6 being turned off or the router being used is very old and can't handle the IPv6 protocol.

It's also important to remember that your machines need to have a different name in order to see each other.

Another solutions is this.
1. Click Start. Search for run and press enter. In the field, type regedit and press OK.

2. In the registry, navigate to the following key.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\Tcpip6
\Parameters

3. In the right pane, right-click on “DisabledComponents” and select modify. In the value data field, type “0″ (without quotations) and press OK. If the value was set to ``FF``, it was turned off.
4. Reboot your computer and it should work. It did for me.

It's also important to note that just about any type of A/V software or third party firewalls can also cause this problem to occur.

If you are still lost you can try going through this thread which shows many different solutions to the problem.
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...homegroup.html

This Homegroup check also has useful information to assist you in setting up your Homegroup.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/wi...-to-homegroup/

This tutorial might also be useful.
Homegroup - Add Computer or Join
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help to Homegroup




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33