Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help needed with wireless connectivity!


11 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Help needed with wireless connectivity!

Hello, I'm new here at seven forums and I'm not really good with computers so please be patient if I couldn't give you what you want.

I've been experiencing some issues with my wireless modem and I can't seem to fix it.

Problem: My wireless modem is up and running and I know it is working because I have no trouble using the wifi via my phone. But for my laptop, I can't seem to get it working. This has happened for the past few days and I'm really frustrated about it. I have some scrrenshots below to show you all what has happened.

This is what I get when i go to "Network and Sharing Center"


And this is what i got when i go to "See full map"


This is when everything is normal and by normal I mean connecting via the Ethernet cable.


Oh ya and I have updated my "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter" to the latest version via Acer website. But the setup says it only finished the operations and i need to complete the installation from the Found New Hardware section? I never bothered to because I can't find it and I am still able to turn my wifi on and off. If it is important how do I go to "Found New Hardware" section?

Additional info: I'm using Acer Aspire TimelineX (4820TG) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and my "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter" driver version is 5.60.18.8

Please help!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2011   #2

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

hi and hello to the forums
this is a common problem on the forums and lots of users have there own way of resolving it mine is to reset the hub/router and reboot the pc/laptop and windows troubleshooters in windows 7 should help. Here are some links for you

How do I fix network adapter problems? How do I fix network adapter problems?
Network connection problems in Windows http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ems-in-windows
Troubleshooting in Windows Troubleshooting in Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi and hello to the forums
this is a common problem on the forums and lots of users have there own way of resolving it mine is to reset the hub/router and reboot the pc/laptop and windows troubleshooters in windows 7 should help. Here are some links for you

How do I fix network adapter problems? How do I fix network adapter problems?
Network connection problems in Windows Network connection problems in Windows
Troubleshooting in Windows Troubleshooting in Windows
After fighting with the problem for some time now I have finally solved the problem! Thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jan 2011   #4

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaLeon8 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi and hello to the forums
this is a common problem on the forums and lots of users have there own way of resolving it mine is to reset the hub/router and reboot the pc/laptop and windows troubleshooters in windows 7 should help. Here are some links for you

How do I fix network adapter problems? How do I fix network adapter problems?
Network connection problems in Windows Network connection problems in Windows
Troubleshooting in Windows Troubleshooting in Windows
After fighting with the problem for some time now I have finally solved the problem! Thank you!
if you post how you fixed it other users who read this forum may benefit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaLeon8 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi and hello to the forums
this is a common problem on the forums and lots of users have there own way of resolving it mine is to reset the hub/router and reboot the pc/laptop and windows troubleshooters in windows 7 should help. Here are some links for you

How do I fix network adapter problems? How do I fix network adapter problems?
Network connection problems in Windows Network connection problems in Windows
Troubleshooting in Windows Troubleshooting in Windows
After fighting with the problem for some time now I have finally solved the problem! Thank you!
if you post how you fixed it other users who read this forum may benefit
Alright I'm sorry I got too excited and totally forgot about it. I'm still not very sure exactly what was the cause but the steps below are what i took to solve the problem.

1) I unplug the ethernet cable from my laptop connected to my modem and also unplugged the telephone line connected to the modem that is required to obtain internet connection.

2) From friend's advice I pressed the "Reset" button on my modem while it is not connected to my laptop and the telephone line, so there is normally only 2 lights blinking for wireless modem like mine, the "power" and "WLAN" light. I left it alone for 10 minutes.

3) I ran a complete virus scan to remove harmful virus or malwares that might affect your computer from performing smoothly (includes possibility of blocking your computer from accessing the internet), degragment the registry, clean the registry, turn off unnecessary programs that start at startup i.e. msn, skype and set them not to start at startup. I also checked my hard drives for errors.

4) After all that I shut down my computer for 5minutes and booted it (friend's advice). I close all programs that require internet connection, i.e automatic updates.

5) Uninstall network adapter driver and install latest version from my computer manufacturer's website.

6) Restarted my computer, this time I connected everything together, i.e. Ethernet cable connected to laptop from modem and telephone line connected to modem.

7) I then went to my routers page which is 192.168.1.1 and I manually set up the details required. I got them from my internet service provider which is streamyx, such as ID, password required to login, protocol type, for my case is PPPoE, connection type, for my case is LLC.

8) Then, from friend's advice too, I manually entered preferred and alternate DNS server address. (Which according to my friend is critical.) You can do so by going to Start> Control Panel (at the top right page choose "View By : Category"> Network and Internet> Network and Sharing Center> and click on the connections you are using i.e. Wireless Network Connection (YOUR SSID NAME)> Properties> HIGHLIGHT "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4)> Properties> check on "Use the following DNS server addresses"> enter your preferred and alternate DNS server provided by your Internet Service Provider.

9) Reboot your computer and your modem for the changes to take effect, it might take some time for everything to take effect which in my case took around 4~6 minutes before I had everything up and running.

10) When you have your first sign that you have internet connection i.e. able to connect to msn, (friend's advice too), don't stress your connection out by immediately opening many pages, downloading many things and going on youtube or anything that eats your connection speed, let everything start slowly to maintain stability of connection.

That's how I got mine to work, and I'm sorry if some of the things I type in here are irrelevant to you all. I barely had any connection for the past few days so I tried everything out and from most of the solutions I've found on the internet are the same and doesn't work for me. My advice "Never give up on anything and try everything even all the little things, maybe they are insignificant but you never know when miracles will happen."

Hope this helps =)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I've been trying to get a USB wireless adapter to work, will try what you've outlined here - hopefully it'll help...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SixStringJammin View Post
I've been trying to get a USB wireless adapter to work, will try what you've outlined here - hopefully it'll help...
Hello,
Not to be rude but can you be more specific? Like saying what errors you encounter or showing a screenshot of your problem?

My friend suggest that if the USB wireless adapter comes with an installation disc, you follow the guides on the disc to install. And if it doesn't work, check that your computer have met the requirements needed to function properly, i.e. operating system, required disk space, required ram etc. And if it still doesn't work, check that your USB drivers are correctly installed, and also check that your antivirus and firewall are not blocking your USB network adapter.

Hope this helps, good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2011   #8

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

whats the make and model of the wireless adapter please?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help needed with wireless connectivity!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Help needed with wireless connectivity!
Thread Forum
wireless connectivity Network & Sharing
Solved Wireless getting limited connectivity Network & Sharing
Solved Wireless connectivity problem !, Please Help Network & Sharing
no wireless connectivity Network & Sharing
wireless connectivity Network & Sharing
Wireless connectivity unreliable Network & Sharing
Wireless connectivity unreliable Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33