Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ready to shoot PC, or myself. :( Please help...


19 Jan 2011   #71

windows 7 enterprise 32bit
 
 

Woah! are people on here really agreeing that someone should really remove all AV and rely on MSE!!??

seriously.
people, you need at least one layer between you and the bad guys. MSE is an advance on previous 'offerings' from Microsoft but is no way an alternative to avira, etc. that is yet, maybe in a year or so...

maybe not nortons bloatware.
But seriously think about what you do on your pcs.
banking, buying stuff from ebay, sorting personal information/accounts, surfing websites, social networks, etc
do you really think your pc will be 'safe' with just MSE installed.

personally I use Kaspersky internet Suite, it isn't free. but it isn't too expensive (i think I picked up a 3 user licence for 18...not so long ago. what is that, 6 for a years virus/malware free pc?
check out ebay for the previous years editions....they just come with a reg key that can be applied to the latest version.
it's not too invasive, for me anyhow. I game online, work via VPN and Logmein.com and communicate via Skype amongst other VOIP vendors without a problem.

...and no before you ask, I don't work for Kaspersky. Just that I realise that I have a lot of important information on my pc that I don't really want mr Trojan or Mrs Malware looking into.

oh and I didn't mean to come across as flaming a thread, if it is taken this way I apologise, I am new here...as said elsewhere.

love and peace

Ant.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2011   #72

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anta View Post
Woah! are people on here really agreeing that someone should really remove all AV and rely on MSE!!??

seriously.
people, you need at least one layer between you and the bad guys. MSE is an advance on previous 'offerings' from Microsoft but is no way an alternative to avira, etc. that is yet, maybe in a year or so...

maybe not nortons bloatware.
But seriously think about what you do on your pcs.
banking, buying stuff from ebay, sorting personal information/accounts, surfing websites, social networks, etc
do you really think your pc will be 'safe' with just MSE installed.

personally I use Kaspersky internet Suite, it isn't free. but it isn't too expensive (i think I picked up a 3 user licence for 18...not so long ago. what is that, 6 for a years virus/malware free pc?
check out ebay for the previous years editions....they just come with a reg key that can be applied to the latest version.
it's not too invasive, for me anyhow. I game online, work via VPN and Logmein.com and communicate via Skype amongst other VOIP vendors without a problem.

...and no before you ask, I don't work for Kaspersky. Just that I realise that I have a lot of important information on my pc that I don't really want mr Trojan or Mrs Malware looking into.

oh and I didn't mean to come across as flaming a thread, if it is taken this way I apologise, I am new here...as said elsewhere.

love and peace
Ant.
Hi Ant, and welcome to the forum! Totally agree with you that we have to have more protection than just MSE, especially those of us who purchase on line, do our banking on line, and other financial transactions on line.

And I must tell you, that even with extra protection, I've had my bank account hijacked once (within PayPal no less!!!), my credit cards hijacked twice, and my email hijacked several times!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #73

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
And I must tell you, that even with extra protection, I've had my bank account hijacked once (within PayPal no less!!!), my credit cards hijacked twice, and my email hijacked several times!
I hereby declare you the forum expert . My sympathies!

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jan 2011   #74

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

ALL HAIL MSE! I LOVE IT. SORRY FOR CAPS, BUT Microsoft Security Essentials IS THE BEST SW Microsoft SHIPS! imho. Of course, I run XoftSpy and Norton 360 just to be sure it's true.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #75

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James Colbert View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
And I must tell you, that even with extra protection, I've had my bank account hijacked once (within PayPal no less!!!), my credit cards hijacked twice, and my email hijacked several times!
I hereby declare you the forum expert . My sympathies!

James
Thanks James I've always wanted to be the forum expert in something, but surely not to be the head of the 'most hijacked' committee!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #76

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Anta- You'd probably have a little bit of credibility if you didn't have a big, flaming AD in the middle of your response.

Otherwise, as the original poster, and update.

Soon after my problem being supposedly "resolved" and my Internet speeds picking up, and download speeds becoming tolerable, for strange and unbeknownst reasons pages began to have extremely slow load times again, and downloads became prehistoric-level again as well.

I became so frustrated and feeling down to last resorts that I took the advice of the poster whom suggested a new Modem. I purchased the Motorola Surfboard Docsis 3.0 (& returned my rented modem to Charter Internet). Now, pages will finally complete loading, and I am back to normal. Sucks I had to buy a new modem, but NICE to FINALLY be where I need to be!

Thanks to who suggested that! (Doc, maybe?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #77

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alienalias View Post
Anta- You'd probably have a little bit of credibility if you didn't have a big, flaming AD in the middle of your response.
The ads appear to non-members and those who aren't logged in. As soon as you logged in, the ad should have disappeared.

Quote:
Otherwise, as the original poster, and update.

Soon after my problem being supposedly "resolved" and my Internet speeds picking up, and download speeds becoming tolerable, for strange and unbeknownst reasons pages began to have extremely slow load times again, and downloads became prehistoric-level again as well.

I became so frustrated and feeling down to last resorts that I took the advice of the poster whom suggested a new Modem. I purchased the Motorola Surfboard Docsis 3.0 (& returned my rented modem to Charter Internet). Now, pages will finally complete loading, and I am back to normal. Sucks I had to buy a new modem, but NICE to FINALLY be where I need to be!

Thanks to who suggested that! (Doc, maybe?)
Glad your problem is resolved. Doc's last post to the thread (and perhaps earlier) did suggest a new modem. Kudos Doc!

James
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2011   #78

Win7 Ult. 32bit
 
 

Just an observation. I think getting a better modem is a good move, but it seems strange that the modem didn't work well with one machine and did with the other. Hopefully the problem is over, but if not, if the problem were mine I would consider going back to the eMachine (I've had a very good experience with one) and adding a dual-head video card if that is the hanging point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ready to shoot PC, or myself. :( Please help...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Ready to shoot PC, or myself. :( Please help...
Thread Forum
Solved BSOD while playing Max Payne 3 not sure what to do to trouble shoot BSOD Help and Support
HELP about to shoot myself Network & Sharing
When I shoot or crash in new games my pc crashes Gaming
Any good shoot video games ? Gaming
screen shoot BIOS? General Discussion
Cpu usage shoot to 100% on playing video Performance & Maintenance
Dutch Police Shoot Escaped Reindeer Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33