Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Bridged Connection speed

22 Jun 2009   #1
Talbot

Windows 7
 
 
Bridged Connection speed

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I moved my desk away from my router. I used to be able to just have a wired connection... but now I need a wireless. So I got a wireless PCI adapter. My internet seemed fine. Then I needed to connect my xbox so I took an ethernet cable and connected my computer to my xbox... bridged the connection... and had internet on both. But when I started to play games on both my xbox and pc... the connection absolutely sucked.

Does anyone know what exactly is slowing down my internet connection? I have bridged my internet to my xbox before and I didn't notice a difference... so I'm positive that that is the problem.

If you need any information... devise model #'s... speedtest.net stats... linksys router settings... anything... ask.

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jun 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
bridged inet

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Hi everyone.

Yesterday I moved my desk away from my router. I used to be able to just have a wired connection... but now I need a wireless. So I got a wireless PCI adapter. My internet seemed fine. Then I needed to connect my xbox so I took an ethernet cable and connected my computer to my xbox... bridged the connection... and had internet on both. But when I started to play games on both my xbox and pc... the connection absolutely sucked.

Does anyone know what exactly is slowing down my internet connection? I have bridged my internet to my xbox before and I didn't notice a difference... so I'm positive that that is the problem.

If you need any information... devise model #'s... speedtest.net stats... linksys router settings... anything... ask.

Thanks.
Hi and welcome
A bridged connection by nature is 1/2 your total to each device plus if the data stream excceds the ability of the slowest component its gets into a packet storm and will almost gind to a halet.

But We could really use all the networking stuff, wired/wireless,router,isp,speedtest, etc

Hope this helps and again welome

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #3
Talbot

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hi and welcome
A bridged connection by nature is 1/2 your total to each device plus if the data stream excceds the ability of the slowest component its gets into a packet storm and will almost gind to a halet.

But We could really use all the networking stuff, wired/wireless,router,isp,speedtest, etc

Hope this helps and again welome

Ken
Thanks.

I'll do my best... here you go.

Router: Linksys WRT54G v1.1
PCI: Linksys WMP54G
SpeedTest/ISP:


Anything else... let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
bridged connection

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Thanks.

I'll do my best... here you go.

Router: Linksys WRT54G v1.1
PCI: Linksys WMP54G
SpeedTest/ISP:


Anything else... let me know.
OK so you have plenty of speed down. what are you getting from wired (100Mb) and wireless (54Mb)? When things slow down could you run taskmanager and look in the connection tab and see what happens then. You could use snipping tool to snip a pic and send it to us.

We will get there. Im thinking network congestion. Why would you have to bridge connections? You have 1 cable in w xbox cabled, and 1 laptop wireless ly connected to the same router. Does it only happen when gameplaying??

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2009   #5
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Sorry to butt in but I have managed to get this particular thing to work using my Laptop.

Steps

1. Open Network and Sharing Center.
2. On the left side click Change Adapter Settings.
3. Right-click 'Local Area Connection' and click Properties.
4. Click the sharing tab and check the box that says 'Allow other network users to....'

Plug your Xbox 360 into your PC via Ethernet and try to connection (use the test connection feature in your Xbox 360 first).

Note: For me it made my Wifi unusable, if it happens to you then right-click your Wireless icon in the bottom right-hand corner and click Troubleshoot, it will fix it.

EDIT: You should also unbridge the connections first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #6
Talbot

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
OK so you have plenty of speed down. what are you getting from wired (100Mb) and wireless (54Mb)? When things slow down could you run taskmanager and look in the connection tab and see what happens then. You could use snipping tool to snip a pic and send it to us.

We will get there. Im thinking network congestion. Why would you have to bridge connections? You have 1 cable in w xbox cabled, and 1 laptop wireless ly connected to the same router. Does it only happen when gameplaying??

Ken
Sorry for the delay... I was busy yesterday.

Zigzag: I'm not sure what you are asking in your first question (wired and wireless).

My desktop is connect wirelessly to my router (which is not a possible "wire" distance). I need to get internet to my xbox which is next to my computer. About a month ago I a friend of mine set it up and it wasn't lagging. Then I moved positions so I was closer to the router and was able to get a wired connection. When I moved back I tryed to set it up again. I first tried "Bridging" (which I think was what my friend set up)... and I just tried sharing the connection like Dark suggested but there doesn't seem to be a difference.

I have tried running a speedtest while in an xbox game and also with the bridge disabled... but it is still the same. I just went under the networking tab in the Task Manager while playing a game and the graph never got aboe .5% Wireless Network connection usage. I was lagging as bad as usual... but next to my name there is the connect speed (Green, Yellow, Red) and I was mainly in the yellow and going into the red every now and then. But my network usage stayed the same.

Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #7
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Did you try my steps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #8
Talbot

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
Did you try my steps?
Yes I did. I am able to connect... it is just a slow connection... and I don't know why.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #9
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Yes I did. I am able to connect... it is just a slow connection... and I don't know why.
It could be your ethernet port on your computer is slow.

You did unbridge the connections before doing my steps right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2009   #10
Talbot

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGundam View Post
It could be your ethernet port on your computer is slow.

You did unbridge the connections before doing my steps right?
Well I was thinking that the port may be the problem... but then I realized it wouldn't make sense for my pc games to be lagging as well.

I'm sort of thinking that this issue doesn't have to do with the bridge/sharing. Is there some router or windows network settings that I should take a look at? I do have all the Xbox live ports forwarded btw.

And yes, I did unbridge the connections.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Bridged Connection speed




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Bridged connection is connecting to a different network
I bridged my Wlan from my laptop to a desktop using a ethernet cable, but the network bridge is connecting to another network (which doesnt exist, it's SSID is my network's name before i changed it) and i don't have access to the internet on the desktop.. I also deleted all the saved networks in...
Network & Sharing
bridged connection between virtualbox vm and windows host
I have a problem at bridged connection between virtualbox vm and windows host. 1. host windows 7 x64. 192.168.0.2 2. virtualbox guest scientific linux 6.2 x86 192.168.0.5 bridged adapter
Network & Sharing
Xbox 360 bridged connection wont work
I just bridged the connection between my Shuttle mini desktop which I'm using a wireless adapter to connect to my belkin N router, but my xbox won't connect to the network..any ideas on how to fix this?
Network & Sharing
High Speed Connection - Low Speed Download?
I have a 2Mb/s connection. At least that is what online speed test shows. But why are my downloads much lower? I mean less than 1Mb/s
Network & Sharing
Bridged VS ICS
Hey everyone! Been a while since I posted for help. As you all (should) know, I have a Xbox 360. I use my laptop to give it internet via ICS. I share my WiFi with my ethernet and grant it internet that way. Now, my question is, would I be better off using ICS or Bridging the two (ethernet...
Network & Sharing
Bridged Connections
I have a wireless connection to my main desktop. I have 2 lan adapters installed, 1 for XBOX360 and the other for my other desktop. I have bridged these connections together. Everything works great, but I would like my main desktop to have a static IP. Is there a way to keep DHCP going for 360 and...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App