Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless connected, but Windows thinks it's not

27 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 
Wireless connected, but Windows thinks it's not

Hi.
I'm currently connected to the internet through a wireless network to post this thread. If I open the wireless network connections, under the list of network names, it says I'm connected. However, the taskbar icon shows no connection, and Windows recognizes no connection if, for example, I go to the Network and Sharing Center. This image shows what I mean.

This problem applies to every wireless network, not just specific ones. This has been going on for almost a year, and hasn't really caused any problems, so I paid it no notice. However, I'm now discovering some problems. Since Windows thinks I'm not connected to a network, I can't do any of the following things:
  • Create or join a homegroup
  • Stream media to an XBox 360
  • Change network security settings (home/private/public)
  • Pass Ubisoft DRM checks for a network connection

Does anyone know what's going on? I've asked for help on the Steam forums, I've updated my wireless card driver, I've tried to change network security settings... no solutions yet.

System:
Gateway NV5909h
Windows 7 home premium x64 (OEM)
Atheros AR5B93 wireless network adapter
Intel core i3-330m
More specs can be provided on request

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2011   #2
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Hello szthesquid,

See if removing then re-add your wireless network profiles help. Make sure you type in the correct network encryption if your network is secured.
Easy Way to Delete Wireless Network Profile in Windows 7

Also, verify that 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' is enabled in your wireless connection.
How to enable DHCP in Windows 7? | Windows 7 Themes

An update will be nice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hello szthesquid,

See if removing then re-add your wireless network profiles help. Make sure you type in the correct network encryption if your network is secured.
Easy Way to Delete Wireless Network Profile in Windows 7

Also, verify that 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' is enabled in your wireless connection.
How to enable DHCP in Windows 7? | Windows 7 Themes

An update will be nice.
Have already tried both these things.
Removing a wireless profile doesn't change anything, because as I said above, this problem applies all the time to every wireless network, whether it's new or an existing profile.
Automatic DNS is and always has been enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Jan 2011   #4
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Please restart your computer, Tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking, see if issue persis here.


Also, the following requires an Admin permission, make sure that you have the permission.
  • Create or join a homegroup
  • Stream media to an XBox 360
  • Change network security settings (home/private/public)
  • Pass Ubisoft DRM checks for a network connection
Have you tried creating a New User Account with Admin permission and see if you can replicate the issue?

Verify that all your Network Services are Started from Control Panel=> Performance and Maintenance=> Admin Tools=> Services:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
• WLAN AutoConfig ( Vista wireless configurations only)
• Workstation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Please restart your computer, Tap F8 and select Safe Mode with Networking, see if issue persis here.


Also, the following requires an Admin permission, make sure that you have the permission.
  • Create or join a homegroup
  • Stream media to an XBox 360
  • Change network security settings (home/private/public)
  • Pass Ubisoft DRM checks for a network connection
Have you tried creating a New User Account with Admin permission and see if you can replicate the issue?

Verify that all your Network Services are Started from Control Panel=> Performance and Maintenance=> Admin Tools=> Services:
My account is the only account, and thus has always had admin permission.

The problem is still present on a new account with admin permission.

The problem is still present when starting in safe mode with networking.

All of those services are started and set to automatic start.

I had been using TuneUp Utilities 2010 since I got this laptop, and had it optimize internet and network settings for a high speed connection, but still allowed Windows to manage networks and connections. I have since uninstalled the program. Could TuneUp have anything to do with this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #6
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Let's uninstall all the remains of Tuneup Utilities by using Revo Uninstaller and see if it will help.

Restart your computer after and see if issue persist.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Let's uninstall all the remains of Tuneup Utilities by using Revo Uninstaller and see if it will help.

Restart your computer after and see if issue persist.
When I did uninstall it, it wasn't a clean uninstall. I got an error halfway through -- it had removed the entries in the Add/Remove Programs interface, but I still had some files left over. I manually searched for and deleted remaining files from the hard drive and registry, and I'm not sure how thorough that was.

Anyway, because it wasn't a clean uninstall, it's not showing up in Revo Uninstaller. Should I try reinstalling and then uninstalling?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Try running this batch file which will reset winsock, reset the TCP/IP stack and release renew your IP.


Download Renew IP + Reset Winsock Batch File

This will sometimes fix problems associated with an upgrade installation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2011   #9

Windows 7 home premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Try running this batch file which will reset winsock, reset the TCP/IP stack and release renew your IP.


Download Renew IP + Reset Winsock Batch File

This will sometimes fix problems associated with an upgrade installation.
Didn't work. It did acknowledge that I was connected to a network though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2011   #10
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Try to reinstall Tuneup Utilities, it actually might help. Do not uninstall yet.

If unsuccessful perhaps, it's time for sfc /scannow.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

If that didn't help, a Repair Install.
Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless connected, but Windows thinks it's not




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wireless connected, but Windows thinks it's not
Thread Forum
Wireless internet says I'm Not connected when I am Network & Sharing
Solved Wireless connected but no internet Network & Sharing
Windows 7 thinks there are 3 monitors when only 2 are connected General Discussion
Solved Connected to Wireless network, but windows says Not connected Network & Sharing
How can I set my wireless to be connected only as admin? Network & Sharing
Can't get connected on wireless router? Network & Sharing
Wireless says I'm not connected, but I am... Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33