Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WIFI or hardwire

05 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
WIFI or hardwire

I currently use ISP Verizon FIOS with my laptop. Since my laptop is about 25' from the router for TV & internet I use the wireless connection to activate my laptop.

My question is if I connect via hardwire in lieu of WIFI will my access speed increase.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Feb 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by enigma1944 View Post
I currently use ISP Verizon FIOS with my laptop. Since my laptop is about 25' from the router for TV & internet I use the wireless connection to activate my laptop.

My question is if I connect via hardwire in lieu of WIFI will my access speed increase.

Thanks
We need more info. what is Verizons dl rated at, what speed are you getting in wifi?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by enigma1944 View Post
I currently use ISP Verizon FIOS with my laptop. Since my laptop is about 25' from the router for TV & internet I use the wireless connection to activate my laptop.

My question is if I connect via hardwire in lieu of WIFI will my access speed increase.

Thanks
We need more info. what is Verizons dl rated at, what speed are you getting in wifi?

Ken
Thanks for your answer

I don't know what the speed factors are.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Feb 2011   #4

windows 7 64 bit and dual boot Pinguyos
 
 

HI, I use a wired and wireless(PC and laptop) and to be honest I have not noticed any difference even though the PC is 100Mbps and the wifi is 54Mbps. The data rate is determined by the ISP and whichever source you get the data from. You may get a more stable signal from wired though as it is less prone to interference.


Raz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by razy60 View Post
HI, I use a wired and wireless(PC and laptop) and to be honest I have not noticed any difference even though the PC is 100Mbps and the wifi is 54Mbps. The data rate is determined by the ISP and whichever source you get the data from. You may get a more stable signal from wired though as it is less prone to interference.


Raz
Thanks for the answer.

This Verizon FIOS router is supposed to be 802.11b/g/n. It also controls the HDTV signal via hardwire from 1 of the four ports. If I hardwired the laptop it would use 1 more of the router ports. After digesting your post I'm thinking that maybe the hardwire would be better for stability. When Verizon installed the equipment there was no info about speeds so I'm assuming they must be at the 802.11N rate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2011   #6

windows 7 64 bit and dual boot Pinguyos
 
 

Depending on the level of accessibility you have to the router you could try to turn on N only then in your WIFI settings in your laptop do the same this would give a stronger WIFI signal however you would still only get as good as the input from your ISP and source.

Raz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Feb 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by razy60 View Post
Depending on the level of accessibility you have to the router you could try to turn on N only then in your WIFI settings in your laptop do the same this would give a stronger WIFI signal however you would still only get as good as the input from your ISP and source.

Raz
OK thanks

case closed
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WIFI or hardwire




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33