Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: N Router with G adapter how much you would lose?

10 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
 
 
N Router with G adapter how much you would lose?

Hi guys, that is the question if you have a N router and connect a G device your speed drops down to G but which are the numbers in mbs?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Feb 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Unless you have fiber optic internet you shouldn't really notice a difference in normal use.
Internal network is more affected though.
There you may actually notice a difference.
As it stands most average web interaction is limited by hubs and site servers, generally they won't pass 5 MBps regardless of whether your connection can handle more or not.
With the internal network, you are dealing with 54mbps vs 300mbps.
Now I never finished college but I'm pretty sure that 300 is bigger than 54.
Though honestly most wireless n I've used is limited to about half of that either because of signal strength or some internal issue of some sort.

anyhow, I guess what I'm saying is what is lost is situational. It could be nothing it could be a noticeable difference, it mostly depends on the connection to the net/network and what you are doing at the time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #3

 

G = 54mbps
N = 300 mbps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Feb 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Unless you have fiber optic internet you shouldn't really notice a difference in normal use.
Internal network is more affected though.
There you may actually notice a difference.
As it stands most average web interaction is limited by hubs and site servers, generally they won't pass 5 MBps regardless of whether your connection can handle more or not.
With the internal network, you are dealing with 54mbps vs 300mbps.
Now I never finished college but I'm pretty sure that 300 is bigger than 54.
Though honestly most wireless n I've used is limited to about half of that either because of signal strength or some internal issue of some sort.

anyhow, I guess what I'm saying is what is lost is situational. It could be nothing it could be a noticeable difference, it mostly depends on the connection to the net/network and what you are doing at the time.
yes im using internet fiber optic why?

Though honestly most wireless n I've used is limited to about half of that either because of signal strength or some internal issue of some sort.
So can i conclude that 20mb in G speeds is normal right?
For N should i get at least 150mb?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brady View Post
G = 54mbps
N = 300 mbps
Nop in the practice.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/14509..._wifi_yet.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

You should have a 150mb connection (maybe more maybe less) when using full wireless N yes. It loves to adjust speed for some reason... a lot more than G did anyhow.

The reason I mentioned fiber optic is it's about the only internet that would be fast enough to push past the 54mbps wireless g limit to begin with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
The reason I mentioned fiber optic is it's about the only internet that would be fast enough to push past the 54mbps wireless g limit to begin with.
mmm, i don't think so, you even said it too, when using wireless you lose speed....even if you have a 100mb ISP package you will only get less than 54mb when using G....
My question was how much you should lose wirelessly? what's the normal? the half? How much a G device affects a N router? how fast it will go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I've honestly never noticed any real difference in my internal network (though I only stream lower grade video I usually just run HD stuff locally from the machine in the main room, and since my internet rarely sustains a speed above 2 MB/s It doesn't really come up there. I would say on average the n is about 100kbs faster than the g in that scenario. ...that could just be signal strength though.

In my experience where wireless really fails is with downloads where a lot of connections are in play, like with a torrent or p2p download scenario. I've had results from both N and G that include, loss of connection, loss of connection data resulting in no connection, significant choking when many connections are active at once regardless of signal strength, high number of failed hashes, and other such annoyances when using wireless for p2p. Though it does not seem to suffer the same problems in a usenet scenario or normal download/stream where there is only one to four or so sources.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
 
 

Well, thanks anyway, maybe some who has lived that panorama could share his experiences with us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Is there really a "normal"? It depends a lot on the server that is sending/receiving your data. I noticed that uploads to some sites are nearly at the rated speed whilst other sites are super slow. And downloads are a similar problem. I remember Vista SP1 which took an awfully long time to download. Then MS had installed some fast servers (after a lot of people complained) and I downloaded the whole SP1 in 12 minutes on a DSL 6000 line. If I remember right it was about 460MBs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Is there really a "normal"? It depends a lot on the server that is sending/receiving your data. I noticed that uploads to some sites are nearly at the rated speed whilst other sites are super slow. And downloads are a similar problem. I remember Vista SP1 which took an awfully long time to download. Then MS had installed some fast servers (after a lot of people complained) and I downloaded the whole SP1 in 12 minutes on a DSL 6000 line. If I remember right it was about 460MBs.
All right not normal but max speed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 N Router with G adapter how much you would lose?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: N Router with G adapter how much you would lose?
Thread Forum
wireless adapter won't connect to new router Network & Sharing
Should I set MTU on network adapter as well as the router? Network & Sharing
Problem in using TP-Link pci adapter with WiMAX router Network & Sharing
Adapter - Router Network & Sharing
Wireless router causing wired computers to lose connection. Network & Sharing
Laptop, N Adapter, N Router - Only 54 Mbps Network & Sharing
Wireless adapter cannot connect to my router Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33