For a few months now, a few times a day, I'll be surfing fine but after awhile my browser (Firefox or IE) cannot load any pages, it'll say something like cannot load page. But I notice my downloads are still going (in Firefox or µTorrent, etc.) and my VoIP still works.
I"m on a WIRED connection
and have noticed the problem mostly on this PC, but that's probably because this is used way more than the others. I'm using Windows 7 x64. I've updated to SP1 but this problem has still been happening even before then. I've done alot of searching and I've done the following things to try and fix this but it still happens:
- My Setup: modem to wireless router to ethernet cables to 2 PCs and VoIP
. My router is a D-Link DIR-615 B2 set to DHCP with DNS Relay OFF.
- The computer IPv4 is set to auto retrieve IP and DNS.
- Windows Firewall disabled, I use Kaspersky Internet Security 11. I've even tried to close Kaspersky when the problem happens, doesn't help.
- Kaspersky and Malwarebytes found no viruses/malware.
- I originally thought it may be a really hidden virus/malware, so I formatted
and did a fresh install of Win 7
- I've updated my network drivers
(all are latest). I originally thought my onboard network adapter was dying, so I put in a spare Belkin F5D5000 v2000 10/100 Network Adapter
and turned off the onboard one in the bios, still happens.
- My Rogers cable modem is 10/100, so in my D-Link router I switched the speed from auto to 100. On PC is auto, wasn't sure if setting to 100 Full duplex would help. Still happens.
- I also read that Rogers DNS servers are crap so I switched to 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
but it still happens whether using default Rogers DNS or Google's.
- Disabled WinHTTP AutoProxy service, read this can cause problems as it stops itself after 15 mins of inactivity. I saw it was off when it happened, turned it on and it worked, but it always turns off again so I disabled it from ever starting.
In an elevated command prompt I've done all these, but still happens:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- netsh winsock reset catalog
(reset winsock entries)
- netsh int ip reset
(reset TCP/IP stack)
- sfc /scannow
No system files were corrupt
I suspect it's my router giving out, I've updated the firmware/factory reset but still happens. I'd plug the modem directly to the PC to test but since we use VoIP, the PC would be the only thing connected, and I'm expecting calls. Plus I can't really predict when the problem will occur, could take all day...
I've noticed I don't necessarily have to restart the PC to fix the problem; I can either unplug/replug the router
or ipconfig /release then /renew
each time it happens. Which makes me think its either a router issue with DNS cache or DHCP. I've read ppl have had problems with this router, but its just happened to me these past few months...I think its been with me for 5 years now.