Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: IP conflict


19 Apr 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
IP conflict

Hello,

I am having trouble setting up ICS with my home network. I have uploaded a diagram I made to better explain what I am meaning.

What I have done on my laptop is bridge my wireless connection with my lan port so my computer next to the laptop can connect to the network and internet. It's working good as all devices are seeing each other and can connect to the internet.

My only problem is that the computer wired to my laptop can't be connected to when I turn it on sometimes because of a IP conflict. I have tried setting static IPs for the bridge and for the wired computer but I just can't get them to communicate once I have done that. It appears to be a simple solution, but I can't work it out .

The computer connected to my laptop is running Windows XP professional, the laptop is running Home Premium x64 and the topmost computer is also running Home Premium x64.
IP conflict-bituser_network_map.png


Thanks Guys,

Bituser - Sam



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Apr 2011   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bituser View Post
Hello,

I am having trouble setting up ICS with my home network. I have uploaded a diagram I made to better explain what I am meaning.

What I have done on my laptop is bridge my wireless connection with my lan port so my computer next to the laptop can connect to the network and internet. It's working good as all devices are seeing each other and can connect to the internet.

My only problem is that the computer wired to my laptop can't be connected to when I turn it on sometimes because of a IP conflict. I have tried setting static IPs for the bridge and for the wired computer but I just can't get them to communicate once I have done that. It appears to be a simple solution, but I can't work it out .

The computer connected to my laptop is running Windows XP professional, the laptop is running Home Premium x64 and the topmost computer is also running Home Premium x64.
Attachment 150093


Thanks Guys,

Bituser - Sam

Great post. I do have one idea. Is the networking set up to use Homegroup (IPV6) or workgroup (IPV4). Homegroup is for win 7 networks, workgroup for mixed with older hardware.


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

If you do not set static IP's to all devices, then you need to choose those IP's used as static from the end of your IP pool. If for instance you are using normal 192.168.x.x range, use IP's like 192.168.x.250 to 255.

When devices using dynamic IP's get their address from DHCP server, they usually get addresses starting from the low end of your IP pool. So, if you have several dynamic IP devices on and connected and you then boot a device whose static IP is from the low end of the address pool, the conflict is almost sure to happen.

Better of course would be to use only static addresses.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Apr 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bituser View Post
Hello,

I am having trouble setting up ICS with my home network. I have uploaded a diagram I made to better explain what I am meaning.

What I have done on my laptop is bridge my wireless connection with my lan port so my computer next to the laptop can connect to the network and internet. It's working good as all devices are seeing each other and can connect to the internet.

My only problem is that the computer wired to my laptop can't be connected to when I turn it on sometimes because of a IP conflict. I have tried setting static IPs for the bridge and for the wired computer but I just can't get them to communicate once I have done that. It appears to be a simple solution, but I can't work it out .

The computer connected to my laptop is running Windows XP professional, the laptop is running Home Premium x64 and the topmost computer is also running Home Premium x64.
Attachment 150093


Thanks Guys,

Bituser - Sam

Great post. I do have one idea. Is the networking set up to use Homegroup (IPV6) or workgroup (IPV4). Homegroup is for win 7 networks, workgroup for mixed with older hardware.


Ken
Thanks for the compliment and the Rep Ken . I thought I would get more replies if I properly explained . I didn't know about that minor difference with Homegroup and Workgroup, you can have some rep too .


Quote:
If you do not set static IP's to all devices, then you need to choose those IP's used as static from the end of your IP pool. If for instance you are using normal 192.168.x.x range, use IP's like 192.168.x.250 to 255.

When devices using dynamic IP's get their address from DHCP server, they usually get addresses starting from the low end of your IP pool. So, if you have several dynamic IP devices on and connected and you then boot a device whose static IP is from the low end of the address pool, the conflict is almost sure to happen.

Better of course would be to use only static addresses.

Kari
Thanks Kari. I switched all devices that supported static IPs to static and was still having the same issue. I found the solution though. I completely forgot about setting the DNS servers +Rep

Thanks for everything guys, glad I have this sorted

~Bituser - Sam
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Apr 2011   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 IP conflict




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: IP conflict
Thread Forum
Solved 32 BIT & 64 BIT Conflict. Installation & Setup
IP conflict Network & Sharing
USB 3.0 and Bluetooth conflict Drivers
Vpn conflict Network & Sharing
IP adress conflict Network & Sharing
32/64 driver conflict Drivers
IP address conflict Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33