Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Issues connecting desktop to wireless router


10 Jul 2009   #1

Win7 RC Build 7100
 
 
Issues connecting desktop to wireless router

Hi there,

I am in a bit of a pickle with my current residence. My leaser will not allow me to have an extra cable modem install near the only place I can have my desktop. So my next course of action was to get a wireless adapter and connect it to a wireless router.

Here is the entire map

NOT WORKING: Desktop -> Linksys adapter Model: WUSB600N -X> Linksys wireless router Model: WRT400N -> Cable Modem.

WORKING: Desktop -> Linksys wireless router Model: WRT400N (connected through hardline) -> Cable Modem.

WORKING: Desktop -> Cable Modem.

This is what I have done.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Build 7100 x64. Got the router to install and connect no issues had to get a 50ft string of Cat-5 to string across the house until Newegg delivered my router and adapter. Once the router was install I have no issues of internet. I got the adapter installed, device drivers had no problems, ran the software that came with the router (LELA) and no problems still. Using Windows 7 networking management, connected manually to the network I had just set up. No problems. Unplugged the cable from the router and the Ethernet jack in my PC no issues. Still pulling down 8MB tested at (speedtest.net) with the wireless adapter.

Only issue the router was plugged into a wall jack near my comp, I got this also to connect my 360 to via hardline. So thinking it was all good, I shut down my pc, unplugged my router, relocated it and plugged everything back in, turned everything back on. No internet. I can see the network some times with excellent signal, try to connect using WPA or WPA-2 with the correct security key and 7 tells me I cannot connect to the wireless router. Thinking the router fugged up, unplugged the 50 ft cord and plugged it directly from my modem to the router and i get internets. Second try, relocated the router and connected the computer via Cat-5 cable to the router and voila internet.

I know for a fact the wireless router is good because I can connect it to my iTouch and NDS with no issues. After relocating it the first time to be near my 360.

I have tried resetting the IP, resetting the modem and reconfiguring my wireless network. Still cannot connect to internet via adapter.

I am using the most up to date drivers for my P5N-D NIC, chipset, everything my basic TS steps have fixed most of my problems and this will not fix.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jul 2009   #2

Win7 Ultimate, x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrocide View Post
Only issue the router was plugged into a wall jack near my comp, I got this also to connect my 360 to via hardline. So thinking it was all good, I shut down my pc, unplugged my router, relocated it and plugged everything back in, turned everything back on. No internet. I can see the network some times with excellent signal, try to connect using WPA or WPA-2 with the correct security key and 7 tells me I cannot connect to the wireless router. Thinking the router fugged up, unplugged the 50 ft cord and plugged it directly from my modem to the router and i get internets. Second try, relocated the router and connected the computer via Cat-5 cable to the router and voila internet.

I know for a fact the wireless router is good because I can connect it to my iTouch and NDS with no issues. After relocating it the first time to be near my 360.

I have tried resetting the IP, resetting the modem and reconfiguring my wireless network. Still cannot connect to internet via adapter.

I am using the most up to date drivers for my P5N-D NIC, chipset, everything my basic TS steps have fixed most of my problems and this will not fix.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I think, maybe, the highlighted text above is significant in that you say you can see the router "sometimes". It may be that the signal across your house is dropping off enough to cause the problem.

Question: You say that your iTouch connects with no issues. Does it do so from the position of the computer?

Another thought: Have you attempted the connection with all the wireless security turned off (just for a moment). My understanding (and it's slim at best) is that wireless security can cause signal strength issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #3

Win7 RC Build 7100
 
 

Quote:
I think, maybe, the highlighted text above is significant in that you say you can see the router "sometimes". It may be that the signal across your house is dropping off enough to cause the problem.

Question: You say that your iTouch connects with no issues. Does it do so from the position of the computer?

Another thought: Have you attempted the connection with all the wireless security turned off (just for a moment). My understanding (and it's slim at best) is that wireless security can cause signal strength issues.
I know the signal isn't an issue, as it can be sitting 6 inches away from the adapter and have the same issues.

I can connect to the router from my study (location of comp) to the living room and watch a youtube vid and it never stops to buffer.

I haven't tried it without security. I will try that when I have a chance. Thanks for the reply. +rep

Anyone else have any explanation or some sort of advice?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
wifi router prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrocide View Post
Hi there,

I am in a bit of a pickle with my current residence. My leaser will not allow me to have an extra cable modem install near the only place I can have my desktop. So my next course of action was to get a wireless adapter and connect it to a wireless router.

Here is the entire map

NOT WORKING: Desktop -> Linksys adapter Model: WUSB600N -X> Linksys wireless router Model: WRT400N -> Cable Modem.

WORKING: Desktop -> Linksys wireless router Model: WRT400N (connected through hardline) -> Cable Modem.

WORKING: Desktop -> Cable Modem.

This is what I have done.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 Build 7100 x64. Got the router to install and connect no issues had to get a 50ft string of Cat-5 to string across the house until Newegg delivered my router and adapter. Once the router was install I have no issues of internet. I got the adapter installed, device drivers had no problems, ran the software that came with the router (LELA) and no problems still. Using Windows 7 networking management, connected manually to the network I had just set up. No problems. Unplugged the cable from the router and the Ethernet jack in my PC no issues. Still pulling down 8MB tested at (speedtest.net) with the wireless adapter.

Only issue the router was plugged into a wall jack near my comp, I got this also to connect my 360 to via hardline. So thinking it was all good, I shut down my pc, unplugged my router, relocated it and plugged everything back in, turned everything back on. No internet. I can see the network some times with excellent signal, try to connect using WPA or WPA-2 with the correct security key and 7 tells me I cannot connect to the wireless router. Thinking the router fugged up, unplugged the 50 ft cord and plugged it directly from my modem to the router and i get internets. Second try, relocated the router and connected the computer via Cat-5 cable to the router and voila internet.

I know for a fact the wireless router is good because I can connect it to my iTouch and NDS with no issues. After relocating it the first time to be near my 360.

I have tried resetting the IP, resetting the modem and reconfiguring my wireless network. Still cannot connect to internet via adapter.

I am using the most up to date drivers for my P5N-D NIC, chipset, everything my basic TS steps have fixed most of my problems and this will not fix.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you tried connecting to the wireless router in the clear (disabling wep, wpa) you can then tell if it is a connectivity issue of encryption issue

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #5

Win7 RC Build 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Have you tried connecting to the wireless router in the clear (disabling wep, wpa) you can then tell if it is a connectivity issue of encryption issue

Ken
Was never a fan of networking, how do I disable an already enabled WPA?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #6

Win7 Ultimate, x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrocide View Post
Was never a fan of networking, how do I disable an already enabled WPA?
Access the router wireless setup, navigate to the security section, disable. At that point, you may (or may not, depends on the router) have to reboot the router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #7

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
router reset

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by srq2625 View Post
Access the router wireless setup, navigate to the security section, disable. At that point, you may (or may not, depends on the router) have to reboot the router.
srq2625 is completely correct. I would also reset the router to default by unplugging for >30 secs. Just remember if you disable encryption your in the clear to your neighbors. If you are gonna run in the clear make sure you have a decent software firewall


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #8

Win7 RC Build 7100
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
srq2625 is completely correct. I would also reset the router to default by unplugging for >30 secs. Just remember if you disable encryption your in the clear to your neighbors. If you are gonna run in the clear make sure you have a decent software firewall


Ken
I have Avira, Spybot and Windows Defender. But if it does work without the encryption I plan on contacting Linksys and having them set it up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
linksys

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyrocide View Post
I have Avira, Spybot and Windows Defender. But if it does work without the encryption I plan on contacting Linksys and having them set it up.
let us know if it works w/o encryption. If it does I can help you configure encryption (i have a linksys as well)

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Issues connecting desktop to wireless router




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Issues connecting desktop to wireless router
Thread Forum
Wireless connectivity help. was connecting to old router now not to ne Network & Sharing
Solved Connecting satellite modem to wireless router Network & Sharing
Trouble connecting to wireless router Network & Sharing
Connecting a Wireless Router to Wired Network Network & Sharing
connecting a belkenN wireless router to the LAN while connected to hub Network & Sharing
Connecting Wireless Router Hardware & Devices
Connecting two wireless computers w/out a router? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33