Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot access network shares...


10 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 
Cannot access network shares...

I have a linux samba share setup that I use for my file server. It's setup for guest access.

Recently when I tried accessing the server, it asked me for a username and password, which it shouldn't. So I typed in guest, didn't work, I typed in the root account, didn't work.

My roommate can still access the server just fine. I checked all the permissions on the linux box, and it has to be an issue with my computer. I had my roommate setup a shared folder on his computer, and I couldn't access it either.

I'm not sure what happened to cause this... one day it worked, the next day it didn't. I tried a system restore thinking maybe some update caused an issue, but that didn't do anything. I've checked various registry keys, made sure the proper services are running. I'm lost as to what could be causing this...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jul 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
network shsare

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrdLock View Post
I have a linux samba share setup that I use for my file server. It's setup for guest access.

Recently when I tried accessing the server, it asked me for a username and password, which it shouldn't. So I typed in guest, didn't work, I typed in the root account, didn't work.

My roommate can still access the server just fine. I checked all the permissions on the linux box, and it has to be an issue with my computer. I had my roommate setup a shared folder on his computer, and I couldn't access it either.

I'm not sure what happened to cause this... one day it worked, the next day it didn't. I tried a system restore thinking maybe some update caused an issue, but that didn't do anything. I've checked various registry keys, made sure the proper services are running. I'm lost as to what could be causing this...
Did you by chance change to a homegroup?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

I was on a homegroup, which I don't ever remember joining... but I left the group and still have the same issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
network

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrdLock View Post
I was on a homegroup, which I don't ever remember joining... but I left the group and still have the same issue.
Ok you left the homegroup but did you change networking from home to work? Sorry abt these dumb questions but Im just trying to get a handle on where you are

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

I've always had it set to Home since I installed Vista. I tried switching it to work, didn't change anything though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
networking

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrdLock View Post
I've always had it set to Home since I installed Vista. I tried switching it to work, didn't change anything though.
ok i thought that was too easy. the samba share is on a diff mach over a lan? I assume the usual cable modem, router, pc's, right?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

Yup, we have a terrabyte media box downstairs running ubuntu. Typical network, 4 pc's, 2 routers.

Oh, and it's not a network issue, as I can still SSH into the box and ping it just fine.

And one other weird thing I noticed, when I do a net view I get this:

C:\>net view
System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to log in from this station.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #8
Microsoft MVP

6x W2K8 R2 (x64), 6x W7 7600 (x64), 2x Gentoo (x64), 1x Ubuntu 9.04 (x64), 1x pfSense (FreeBSD)
 
 

Sounds like you enabled Server Message Block (SMB) signing by accident. Did you happen to enable any settings recently in your Local Security Policy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
samba share

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrdLock View Post
Yup, we have a terrabyte media box downstairs running ubuntu. Typical network, 4 pc's, 2 routers.

Oh, and it's not a network issue, as I can still SSH into the box and ping it just fine.

And one other weird thing I noticed, when I do a net view I get this:

C:\>net view
System error 1240 has occurred.

The account is not authorized to log in from this station.
Other than the samba share is sharing working on pc to pc level?

GOT IT just gogled the error code and MS has an answer
Err Msg: System Error 1240 Has Occurred. The Account Is Not Authorized to Login from This Station
Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2009   #10

Windows 7 RC 7100
 
 

Just checked the SMB policy settings and they're as they should be at their defaults.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot access network shares...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cannot access network shares...
Thread Forum
cant access w7 shares. Network & Sharing
Windows 7 cannot access all shares Network & Sharing
BSOD when accessing network or network shares via Wireless BSOD Help and Support
Cannot access shares on same computer through network folder Network & Sharing
Can access Vista shares from XP but not from Windows 7 (access denied) Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Ultimate, can not access network shares Network & Sharing
Help - Unable to access network shares Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33