|21 May 2011||#3|
| || |
seems to be a lot of people suddenly with Printer sharing problems recently
I keep referring then to an old post of mine look at Post nr 6 in this thread
Trouble with printer sharing
This should fix 99% of these types of problems -- in a 32 / 64 bit mix, w2k, XP / Windows 7 / w2k3 server / w2k8 server etc.
just in case you can't find it
I've posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of Windows 7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).
("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).
assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.
1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.
2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.
Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).
3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.
4) Create NEW port==>Local port
5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER
6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.
(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address. Note the IP address of the printer on the network.
If the printer is on the Windows 7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Network Printing|
|Network Printing||Hardware & Devices|
|Network printing||Network & Sharing|
|network printing problems||Network & Sharing|
|Network Printing Problem||Network & Sharing|
|Network printing between XP and Windows 7||Hardware & Devices|
|Printing through a network||Network & Sharing|
|Help with printing to XP on network||Network & Sharing|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.