Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My laptop does not pick up any wireless networks

15 Jun 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
My laptop does not pick up any wireless networks

Several months ago my computer stopped picking up any wireless networks. I can connect using an Ethernet cable and a USB wireless adapter. I have troubleshooted and removed my driver and updated software; I even upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 hoping that might fix the problem but it didn’t. I am thinking it may be my internal wireless card. So you recommend going to a hotspot to see if I can pick up there? I would think I would have to do that considering the USB adapter picks up multiple wireless networks but my internal one picks up none so I think that already rules out my router being a problem.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jun 2011   #2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Looks like a bad internal wireless card. Are you sure you havent switched it off with some toggle button? is it shown in the device manager?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

It does show in device manager and that it is working properly. My wireless switch is on, well I have it off since I am using the USB and gave up on troubleshooting but I wanted to give one last try on this forum since I addressed it in the VIsta forum before I upgraded to 7. I should mention that I did have a virus that was removed; issues originated from a improper hibernation that resulted in the start of my wireless problem where I would get it intermittently and chkdsk ran at restart and hibernate wasn't even working at all. I removed the virus, stopped chkdsk and removed AVG just because and upgraded to Windows 7 which caused a chkdsk error to come up but upon restart when upgrade was finished it ran chkdsk and seemed to resolve that issue. It hibernates fine and everything seems fine except I still don't connect to ANY wireless networks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jun 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by latina1979 View Post
It does show in device manager and that it is working properly. My wireless switch is on, well I have it off since I am using the USB and gave up on troubleshooting but I wanted to give one last try on this forum since I addressed it in the VIsta forum before I upgraded to 7. I should mention that I did have a virus that was removed; issues originated from a improper hibernation that resulted in the start of my wireless problem where I would get it intermittently and chkdsk ran at restart and hibernate wasn't even working at all. I removed the virus, stopped chkdsk and removed AVG just because and upgraded to Windows 7 which caused a chkdsk error to come up but upon restart when upgrade was finished it ran chkdsk and seemed to resolve that issue. It hibernates fine and everything seems fine except I still don't connect to ANY wireless networks.

The chkdsk said saomething about a corrupt drive x: but again upon restart it seemed to fix the problem because I watched it and it cleaned some file # which I have written down at home.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #5

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

So without the usb adapter and the internal card turned ON, what do you see in the system tray- the wireless icon with a red cross or with an orange asterisk or something else?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
 
 

Have you tried in this order- unplugging modem/router power supply (whilst active) > power off PC > leave for 2-5 mins > plug modem/router back in > wait 60 secs > start PC

Have you double checked your router is set to broadcast it’s network name (SSID), that the SSID is correct and that you are using the correct type of key. If you're attempting to use WPA or WPA2, check that these are supported by both your adapter and router. If you are having issues detecting your wireless network using WPA or WPA2, try using WEP instead to see if you are able to connect (if using an 802.11N router, try switching over to WPA2-AES encryption)?

Which Anti-Virus are you using?

Are you using a firewall and if so which one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
So without the usb adapter and the internal card turned ON, what do you see in the system tray- the wireless icon with a red cross or with an orange asterisk or something else?
I have seen both of them but I think most recently and more often I see the red cross if my switch is on but i do not have the usb inserted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Oaken View Post
Have you tried in this order- unplugging modem/router power supply (whilst active) > power off PC > leave for 2-5 mins > plug modem/router back in > wait 60 secs > start PC

Have you double checked your router is set to broadcast it’s network name (SSID), that the SSID is correct and that you are using the correct type of key. If you're attempting to use WPA or WPA2, check that these are supported by both your adapter and router. If you are having issues detecting your wireless network using WPA or WPA2, try using WEP instead to see if you are able to connect (if using an 802.11N router, try switching over to WPA2-AES encryption)?

Which Anti-Virus are you using?

Are you using a firewall and if so which one?
I have reset my modem/router (AT&T Uverse) because it has a battery supply hooked up to it in addition to the power cable. But when I have done this my Pc has been on. DO you recommend doing so, waiting and then powering on PC?

My router has to be broadcasting since the USB picks up the name doesn't it?

How do I check if my router and adapter both support WPA which is how it is formatted now?

I do not have an antivirus installed. I had Norton until it expired and then I used AVG but I have since uninstalled.

I also do not have firewall protection I dont think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #9

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

A red cross means that as far as the card is concerned, no wireless network exists. Irrespective of whether the router supports or does not support WPA, the card should at least detect the network. The only reasons I can think of are:

1) No wireless network exists- this is not true because the usb adapter picks up the network.

2) The card is bad.

3) The driver is bad.

4) Card is physically turned off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
A red cross means that as far as the card is concerned, no wireless network exists. Irrespective of whether the router supports or does not support WPA, the card should at least detect the network. The only reasons I can think of are:

1) No wireless network exists- this is not true because the usb adapter picks up the network.

2) The card is bad.

3) The driver is bad.

4) Card is physically turned off.
How do you determine if the card is bad?

How can I tell if driver is bad which it shouldn't be since I have uninstalled and my computer installed a new upon restart.

My wireless on switch is ON but is there a way to make sure my card isn't turned off?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My laptop does not pick up any wireless networks




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: My laptop does not pick up any wireless networks
Thread Forum
Laptop can't discover/connect to wireless networks. Network & Sharing
Solved Laptop not detecting wireless networks? Network & Sharing
My laptop connect to wireless networks except my network Network & Sharing
laptop can detect but not connect to wireless networks Network & Sharing
laptop cannot detect wireless networks Network & Sharing
Laptop cannot connect to either wireless or wired networks Network & Sharing
Solved My laptop cannot detect Wireless networks nor interface! Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33