Today, my laptop and desktop, both running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, started having the same problem - they can't connect to the internet. With windows Network Diagnostics, sometimes "The DNS server isn't responding", and sometimes "Local Area Connection/Wireless Network Connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration".
- unplugging and replugging the power cable to the modem
- resetting the wireless router
- ensured obtaining IP address and DNS server address are obtained automatically for Internet Protocol V4 and V6
- netsh int ip reset (CMD)
- netsh winsock reset (CMD)
- ipconfig /renew and ipconfig /release (CMD) (the latter gives me the following error message on my laptop: "An error has occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.")
-ping-ing 188.8.131.52 (CMD) transmit failed, general faliure 4/4 times.
- clearing browser history
- system restore to an earlier point on my laptop
- checking for updates to my network adaptors (Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor was updated)
- disabling Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adaptor
- uninstalling and reinstalling the wiresless adapter to my laptop
- inputting the physical address on my desktop to the Network Address (Local Area Connection > Properties > Advanced) - originally the value was "Not Present"
None of the above worked. I've used this network for a few years, and this is the first time this problem has occured on both the laptop and desktop.
Any help is greatly appreciated.