Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: three comp- 2 lan 1 wan= wan wont connect to homegroup

10 Jul 2011   #1
dragonseye86

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
three comp- 2 lan 1 wan= wan wont connect to homegroup

i got three comps- two desktops running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 connected to homegroup no problem but the third is a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 connected through wifi but wont connect to the homegroup even though the the settings are correct and the passwords are correct. any ideas? the last time this happened i had to reinstall windows but im trying to prevent that from happening.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dragonseye86 View Post
i got three comps- two desktops running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 connected to homegroup no problem but the third is a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 connected through wifi but wont connect to the homegroup even though the the settings are correct and the passwords are correct. any ideas? the last time this happened i had to reinstall windows but im trying to prevent that from happening.
Probably a "homegroup" issue. It uses IPv6 and on some systems has connectivity issues. A workaround'/check would be to create a new network connection using "workgroup" and if it works you can then disable IPv6 and kill homegroup.

Added pluses to workgroup are a workgroup password isnt required, and it uses IPv4.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jul 2011   #3
dragonseye86

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

well see the thing is is its working fine through regular network but im the only comp savvy person in the house so the homegroup would be best for the other two to use so im trying to set it up and the IPv6 is up and running on all three comps but im beging to think that it is that the issue might be the different versions of windows 7 being the two that are working correctly are running the same thing but the one not working is running a lower version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dragonseye86 View Post
well see the thing is is its working fine through regular network but im the only comp savvy person in the house so the homegroup would be best for the other two to use so im trying to set it up and the IPv6 is up and running on all three comps but im beging to think that it is that the issue might be the different versions of windows 7 being the two that are working correctly are running the same thing but the one not working is running a lower version
Its not the versions. In what way is homegroup better for a noob than workgroup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #5
dragonseye86

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

with homegroup i can integrate the shared folders from other computers into the libraries which makes it really easy for them you cant really do that to well with network
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dragonseye86 View Post
with homegroup i can integrate the shared folders from other computers into the libraries which makes it really easy for them you cant really do that to well with network
Makes sense. All I can offer is some generic help advice.

1-udate all the critical drivers like networking, video (maybe BIOS) etc.

2-run a system file check to verify and repair OS files
Run a system file check to verify and repair your system files.
To do this type cmd in search, then right click to run as administrator, then
SFC /SCANNOW

Read here for more information SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Let us know the results from the report at the end.

3-Flush dms by typing (start>cmd) ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /renew.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #7
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Try the Attachment at the bottom of this Post - Network Posting Tips to flush the DNS and reset some Things (Run as Administrator)

Also have you tried the Homegroup Troubleshooter?

-homegroup-troubleshooter.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #8
dragonseye86

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Yeah iv tried the trouble shooter but it comes up with nothing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 three comp- 2 lan 1 wan= wan wont connect to homegroup




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My.comp.wont.upgrade.to.Home.Premium....
Okay.. So today after my friend suggested me upgrading my os to home premium to fix some of the errors , that's what i planned when I came home. So when I'm trying to upgrade for the fourth time now it says that The upgrade was unsuccessful. Now I'm absolutely pissed.. I paid 120 bucks so it...
Windows Updates & Activation
Comp wont ALLOW F2 for Startup
So it says clearly on my comp when loading F2 to get into the bios and what not, but it wont allow me to do it actually... immediately after that screen it just goes to a corrupted jibber jabber of colors which then freezes up until i reset and attempt to do this all over again. I am absolutely...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD's and Comp wont boot with 8gig Ram anymore
Hi Having a couple of issues here they are, at least once a day I get a BSOD for various reasons (when I have time to see it before the comp shuts down) there doesnt seem to be a recurring theme it just does it when it feels like it, when it happened the first time I was running 8gig of GSkill...
BSOD Help and Support
can only connect to my friends comp when using wifi?
My friend is running OSX (i know, tought break). But we are trying to share files on my linksys router. Now I have my router set up perfectly for myslef. Hes connecting to my wifi (internet works) and I am connected using eithernet but I can not see him on the network. Then when I take my computer...
Network & Sharing
Where can i download music that wont slow down my comp
i just wanna no
General Discussion
shared internet connect problem between 2 comp.
hi guys! first time posting here but i just wanted to share i have been reading here for a while and i must say that i appreciate all the help you do to those who needs it. however i got a problem of my own now and i cant seem to find anyone that shares this problem with me. i got one windows...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App