Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Admin mapped drives acting weird

21 Jul 2009   #1
Strahan

Win 7 RC, Win XP, Win 2003, Ubuntu
 
 
Admin mapped drives acting weird

Howdy. I've been finding that the new UAC and linux style permission system is pretty annoying (I'm coming to Win7 from XP). Yea, I know it's proper security but I haven't had any issues with XP all these years since I know what I'm doing so I really wish my OS would trust me, lol.

Anyway.. I made life pretty comfortable by installing HotKeyBind and having it run as the administrator so whenever I hit Win-D I get an Administrator level DOS window. Usually when I get hamstrung by the limited rights it's when I'm in DOS trying to do something so this got rid of most of my hassles. HKB launches at startup from a batch file in the startup folder which does a "runas" on HKB to launch it as admin.

Now the problem comes from the fact that the DOS process is not running as me, so my mapped drives are not accessible. Even file associations were wrong when launched from that window. So I edited the launch batch to launch a second bat rather than HKB directly. In that batch file I map my drives. Seems to work golden. Alas, it seems at random intervals the system suddenly forgets the domain user I've associated with the drive mappings. (All the drives are remote PCs that require my domain credentials). I made another .bat called "admindrives" that will unmap them all then remap and then they work.

Just now though, I couldn't access my webserver's D$ share, kept getting "Access Denied" in my admin DOS. Admindrives.bat didn't help. Manually remapped the drive.. net use w: \\webserver\d$ /user:domain\username pwd. It mapped with no error, but still couldn't access the drive. Opened a regular non-admin window, went to the W: drive just fine.

It's frustrating as hell. I wish I could just make my domain account act like the super-admin, or make the super-admin have a domain user token.

Anyone know of a way to handle mapped drives like this?
Has anyone found a way yet to make a domain account have the full no-limits admin privledges?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jul 2009   #2
7echno7im

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

just some thoughts...

Is this account you are using in the local admins group on the machine or is there a group that the domain account is in that it can inherit admin privileges (Domain Admins, TechSupport, etc...)?

For the mappings, when the batch runs, is it running as Admin to map them?
When you get this error, can you still access the drive via UNC path?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jul 2009   #3
7echno7im

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

ahhh your syntax may be wrong...


net use [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename password /USER:domainname\username

instead of:
net use w: \\webserver\d$ /user:domain\username pwd

try:

net use w: \\webserver\d$ pwd /user:domain\username


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jul 2009   #4
7echno7im

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

did this fix your problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
mapped drive prob

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Howdy. I've been finding that the new UAC and linux style permission system is pretty annoying (I'm coming to Win7 from XP). Yea, I know it's proper security but I haven't had any issues with XP all these years since I know what I'm doing so I really wish my OS would trust me, lol.

Anyway.. I made life pretty comfortable by installing HotKeyBind and having it run as the administrator so whenever I hit Win-D I get an Administrator level DOS window. Usually when I get hamstrung by the limited rights it's when I'm in DOS trying to do something so this got rid of most of my hassles. HKB launches at startup from a batch file in the startup folder which does a "runas" on HKB to launch it as admin.

Now the problem comes from the fact that the DOS process is not running as me, so my mapped drives are not accessible. Even file associations were wrong when launched from that window. So I edited the launch batch to launch a second bat rather than HKB directly. In that batch file I map my drives. Seems to work golden. Alas, it seems at random intervals the system suddenly forgets the domain user I've associated with the drive mappings. (All the drives are remote PCs that require my domain credentials). I made another .bat called "admindrives" that will unmap them all then remap and then they work.

Just now though, I couldn't access my webserver's D$ share, kept getting "Access Denied" in my admin DOS. Admindrives.bat didn't help. Manually remapped the drive.. net use w: \\webserver\d$ /user:domain\username pwd. It mapped with no error, but still couldn't access the drive. Opened a regular non-admin window, went to the W: drive just fine.

It's frustrating as hell. I wish I could just make my domain account act like the super-admin, or make the super-admin have a domain user token.

Anyone know of a way to handle mapped drives like this?
Has anyone found a way yet to make a domain account have the full no-limits admin privledges?
Hey I have a question. You using homegroup?, and a sugesstiong turn UAC off. You know what your doing and lived wo it on xp so why not. I do it because it was just too annoying

Ken

edit : ignore this post. just call it a 3am oops
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2009   #6
7echno7im

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

I doubt he is using HomeGroup considering he is on a domain. I could be wrong though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #7
Strahan

Win 7 RC, Win XP, Win 2003, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7echno7im View Post
Is this account you are using in the local admins group on the machine or is there a group that the domain account is in that it can inherit admin privileges (Domain Admins, TechSupport, etc...)?

For the mappings, when the batch runs, is it running as Admin to map them?
When you get this error, can you still access the drive via UNC path?
The account I'm mapping with is a domain admin, which is in the local administrator's group. When the mapping runs, it's running as administrator. There is a batch file in the startup that just contains:

@echo off
runas /env /user:administrator "C:\Program Files (x86)\HotKeyBind\go.bat"


So that launches go.bat as the administrator, which contains:

@echo off
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\HotKeyBind"
start hotkeybind.exe
net use w: /d
net use w: \\webserver\d$ /user:domain\username password


No, when I get access denied I cannot access via UNC.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 7echno7im View Post
ahhh your syntax may be wrong...
net use [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename password /USER:domainname\username

instead of:
net use w: \\webserver\d$ /user:domain\username pwd

try:

net use w: \\webserver\d$ pwd /user:domain\username
Nah, that wouldn't work, the original syntax is actually correct. The password that caught your eye is the share password (if it has one) not the authenticating user password.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hey I have a question. You using homegroup?, and a sugesstiong turn UAC off. You know what your doing and lived wo it on xp so why not. I do it because it was just too annoying
Nope, I'm not even sure what homegroup is. The PC is joined to a domain if that means anything. I assume homegroup is some newfangled term for workgroup? I did try turning UAC off, then instead of a "Yes/No" prompt I got an authentication window. I turned UAC back up 1 click from the bottom then set the registry to automatically say "yes" to the popups, that seems to be ideal.

Of course, the problem is one of convenience. I hate having to right click my DOS shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator" even if I don't get the UAC verification.. it's an annoying extra step. I use HotKeyBind running as administrator so I can just hit Win-D and get an admin priv'd DOS shell. Therein lies the problem though, it opens in the context of admin and thus I don't get my mapped drives.

Weird thing is, my current startup-runas-batch method works fine at first. It doesn't start to fail auth until later. Ugh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #8
Strahan

Win 7 RC, Win XP, Win 2003, Ubuntu
 
 

Well, I found a solution. No, not a solution, a workaround heh. I started running the HotKeyBind as myself then setup a separate macro, Win-C, to run an admin level command prompt and left Win-D as a regular user cmd. I realized that most of the time I don't need admin privs in dos since I'm usually just doing stuff in my games folder or my webserver folders. A tad bit of hassle, but not the end of the world since I only have to tap two keys and voila, God DOS hehe.

Nice thing is the regular Win-D DOS has all my drives since it runs in my own context.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2009   #9
7echno7im

Windows 7 7600.16384 x64
 
 

Nice glad to hear you have a workaround in place. I know it still may be annoying though!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Admin mapped drives acting weird




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Nvidia GTX 660 acting weird!
PC SPECS: CORSAIR CX 600 PSU GIGABYTE GTX 660 8GB DDR3 CORSAIR RAM GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H REV 1.0 So guys basically what's happening is my GPU Won't "boot" and I get no signal on screen if I leave the pc off for a long time. Whenever I cold boot the pc I have to wait for around 5 minutes and...
Graphic Cards
tab key acting weird
Hello, If this is the wrong forum, please move to the appropriate one! I have Windows 7 installed, IE8, Office 2007 etc. Recently I've noticed that the tab key isn't doing what it should be doing - i.e. tabbing between cells in a form, or web page. When you press the tab key, the form...
General Discussion
New admin user acting differently than standard user changed to admin
I have created two new user accounts. The first I set up as a standard account, logged on, did a few things, then logged off, logged on as my administrator account and editted the account to be an administrator. When I log back on as this account, it appears that the user still does not have...
General Discussion
Mapped drives
We have a linux server and all the Windows 7 Pro workstations have the same mapped drives, w,x,y,z. The only problem is that the path for z is a share nested in another share, w. When we try to map z we get the message, 'Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using...
Network & Sharing
Really weird acting...
Ive got a problem with my windows 7 computer. Ive had it for about six months now and its working OK. Although now all of the sudden it started like... Acting weird... I was able to click on some places but i couldnt exit my web browser, neither change to another tab as it deleted the one i...
BSOD Help and Support
PC Acting really weird.
Hi, I have some sort of problem here, and I am hoping you could help me. Sometimes, MY PC just freezes and I have to shake the Chassis to make it unfreeze again. What problem is this? Any help appreciated.
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App