Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless dropping every few mins


24 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Wireless dropping every few mins

Adapter: Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter
Router: Netgear
Build: 7229

At the topic title says my wireless internet is cutting off every few mins. It then tells me that i have no wireless card connected but if i look in device manager it shows i have one.

To get the internet working again i have to unplug the usb drive from the computer and plug it back in and it works fine for another few mins.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jul 2009   #2

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

maybe it's switching itself off to save power.

right-click on the adapter in device manager >> properties >> power management >> untick boxes.

hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Already tired that and it didn't seem to do anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Jul 2009   #4

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chrismelling View Post
Adapter: Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless USB Adapter
Router: Netgear
Build: 7229

At the topic title says my wireless internet is cutting off every few mins. It then tells me that i have no wireless card connected but if i look in device manager it shows i have one.

To get the internet working again i have to unplug the usb drive from the computer and plug it back in and it works fine for another few mins.
ChrisM

First thing I would check is NIC driver, the usb, and the router firmware. You may even have to un-install the nic driver and let win update find one for you.

Second IP-6 support sometimes causes this so you can disable ip-6 support.
there are also several threads here at SF that have the same problem that might help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
ChrisM

First thing I would check is NIC driver, the usb, and the router firmware. You may even have to un-install the nic driver and let win update find one for you.

Second IP-6 support sometimes causes this so you can disable ip-6 support.
there are also several threads here at SF that have the same problem that might help

Ken
I have uninstalled the driver and then allowed windows to install it on its own and i thought it worked but its now started to cut out again.

I am unsure on how i do the second step, please could you give me some steps on doing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chrismelling View Post
I have uninstalled the driver and then allowed windows to install it on its own and i thought it worked but its now started to cut out again.

I am unsure on how i do the second step, please could you give me some steps on doing it.
Hey ChrisM

Ip-6 support. right click network icon in sys tray. click open network and sharing. In network click on change adapter settings. right click the adapter and click properties.
Uncheck IP-6. you may have to reboot

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7
 
 

Done the above and its still stopping every few mins. I have also found out that i can just troubleshoot the device and it fixes it but it still needs fixing!

This network adparter works perfectly for windows vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 7265 x64
 
 

There have been several threads on this and similar problems. I have had real hair pulling issues with both wired and wireless connections.
It is a driver problem - that's clear from the fact that you have issues in Win 7 but not in Vista.
The best solution as I have found is to go to the website for the offending device and install the latest driver after a complete uninstall in Windows. You may then as I did have to play with a number of options including enable, disable, etc. The good news is that with persistence the problem can be solved. I wish I could give you a straightforward solution but I haven't found it yet.
At present I am stable with either wire or wireless.
Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #9

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
wifi

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Chrismelling View Post
Done the above and its still stopping every few mins. I have also found out that i can just troubleshoot the device and it fixes it but it still needs fixing!

This network adparter works perfectly for windows vista.
ChrisM

Gene is of course right. It is a driver issue. One thing you can do is to go into device manager (type device manager into search) and right click the wifi device to see if it is installed and working properly. Another thing is to go into event viewer (yeah type event viewer into search) ans see if there are any errors logged relevant to wifi. If there are could you use the snipping tool (in search) to tske a snip and upload it to us.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Well i thought it had it fixed and it had been working for a good hour before it dropped and then i restarted but computer and its started doing it again!

Time to give up on windows 7, its just not worth the hassel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless dropping every few mins




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Wireless dropping every few mins
Thread Forum
Internet Connection keeps dropping every 5 mins!! Network & Sharing
Wireless internet sometimes dropping out Network & Sharing
Wireless keeps dropping out on new laptop. Please help! Network & Sharing
Wireless Signal keep dropping. Network & Sharing
Wireless Network Dropping Network & Sharing
Connection dropping every few mins Network & Sharing
Dropping Wireless Connection Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33