Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup password prompt

17 Aug 2011   #1
dlk7107

Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 
Homegroup password prompt

I installed Homegroup on a new laptop. I can access the other two computers in my house. however, when I try to access the new laptop from the other computers, I get a user id & password prompt.

I found out that the time on the new computer was one hour off, and it was set for "Turn on password protected sharing". I fixed both of these problems, but that did not help. Is it possible that the changes I made were not written to the registry?

Please help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

ome
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dlk7107 View Post
I installed Homegroup on a new laptop. I can access the other two computers in my house. however, when I try to access the new laptop from the other computers, I get a user id & password prompt.

I found out that the time on the new computer was one hour off, and it was set for "Turn on password protected sharing". I fixed both of these problems, but that did not help. Is it possible that the changes I made were not written to the registry?
h
Please help.
I suspect the other two computers are not win 7. Homegroup requires a password and when you set up win 7 and it asked you what type of network you connect to (you said a home network) it provided a user id and password.

Check how to join homegroup (in help under network and sharing). A work around is to create a new connection based on the older network config called "workgroup". It doesnt use IPv6 nor require a password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #3
seth500

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

On the new laptop try out the homegroup troubleshooter and click repair automatically and see what kind of problems you find. Just go to start menu and type homegroup in the search bar and hit return and you'll see the trouble shooter. Post back with the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Aug 2011   #4
dlk7107

Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
ome
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dlk7107 View Post
I installed Homegroup on a new laptop. I can access the other two computers in my house. however, when I try to access the new laptop from the other computers, I get a user id & password prompt.

I found out that the time on the new computer was one hour off, and it was set for "Turn on password protected sharing". I fixed both of these problems, but that did not help. Is it possible that the changes I made were not written to the registry?
h
Please help.
I suspect the other two computers are not win 7. Homegroup requires a password and when you set up win 7 and it asked you what type of network you connect to (you said a home network) it provided a user id and password.

Check how to join homegroup (in help under network and sharing). A work around is to create a new connection based on the older network config called "workgroup". It doesnt use IPv6 nor require a password.
The 2 existing computers are Windows 32 Home Premium. The new laptop is Windows 64 Home Premium.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #5
dlk7107

Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
On the new laptop try out the homegroup troubleshooter and click repair automatically and see what kind of problems you find. Just go to start menu and type homegroup in the search bar and hit return and you'll see the trouble shooter. Post back with the results.
The Troubleshooter said "Some solutions were applied". I clicked on "Yes, the problem is fixed". I then restarted the laptop; however, the problem was not fixed.

My existing computers have Windows 32 Home Premium. The new laptop has Windows 64 Home Premium. Could that be the prblem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2011   #6
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

i would just create a new homegroup, get all the computers to leave the homegroup then create a new one with the correct time etc on the lappy.
got to be easier than trying to fix something that wont do as its asked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup password prompt




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
UAC control password prompt
Hi all. I wanted to enable autо logon on my PC and I did it as I knew: CMD > Control userpasswords2 > Uncheck "Users have to enter a password to..." > Enter my password. Now I have this weird problem: When I try to run a program with Admin rights I get the UAC popup, but it says "Enter an admin...
System Security
What causes prompt for Network password?
I've set all the Advanced Sharing settings as I always do, with no password for sharing, Network discovery, sharing allowed, but one PC on this network insists on prompting for a Network password when trying to connect to the other. It stopped for awhile but is back to doing it again now, also...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Control Panel Homegroup not revealing Homegroup Password
I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I am trying to connect my laptop to my homegroup with the password for my homegroup, but my desktop will not reveal it. Is there any other place that I can find it? Thanks in advance for your help. theAdmiral
Network & Sharing
Change password prompt
The only suggestion I've seen to avoid this issue is to turn off password expiration entirely, which I can't do. However, the endless prompts to change my password are driving me nuts. Here's the message: Your password is going to expire in 'n' days. Would you like to change it now? Generally...
General Discussion
Password prompt!
Hi all, I have a user account on my laptop, running Windows 7, named 'RDPLIVE'. FYI: It is an admin account, but it is NOT the in-built Administrator account. What I want to do is either: 1) When the password prompt appears at first boot-up, I would like my 'startup apps' to load in...
Performance & Maintenance
Add a password prompt to UAC?
I know this has been covered probably somewhere, but I can't find out how to add a password box to the UAC prompts so it asks for my password (or whoever's the account it is using privileges with). It did this sometimes in Vista, but I have Windows 7 (it came with this computer). unfortunately I...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App