Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sometimes pc cannot find perfectly working wirelss, why?

27 Aug 2011   #1
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Sometimes pc cannot find perfectly working wirelss, why?

O.s. win 7 ultimate 7100 32-bit

I have a wireless connection set up at home that works perfectly, however sometimes my win 7 netbook cannot find the wireless network anymore.

this is annoying since i didn't install new drivers, didn't change a thing and besides, my android phone and another xp computer connect without problems.

i tried to restart the windows wireless auto-configuration service as well, turn on/off the wireless or remove the saved wireless network.

// of course in the router properties, i enabled broadcast of network ID and it's not hidden.

the only things that work are either:

1) rebooting the router, after that finds network OK
2) restarting only the WLAN connection, after that finds network OK
3) removing the battery sometimes fixes the problem without 1 or 2
4) shutting down and leaving the pc to rest 5 minutes sometimes fixes the problem without 1 or 2

this is very odd, i upgraded wireless drivers to the latest. i have an Asus n10J 1.6ghz overclocked to 2.1ghz and network card is Atheros 928X.

oh and by the way in the network properties i enabled "connect even if network is not broadcasting its name SSID" // which clearly is not working even if the router wouldn't broadcast it for good....

i start to think that it's a bug in the network card hardware or driver.

anyone with this issue?

thanks
gabrio


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Aug 2011   #2
seth500

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

How far away from the router are you? I know that there are some issue's concerning this with that adapter..

- 1Meters Excellent
- 3M Good
- 6M Fair/Poor (Unstable)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #3
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
How far away from the router are you? I know that there are some issue's concerning this with that adapter..

- 1Meters Excellent
- 3M Good
- 6M Fair/Poor (Unstable)
well connection is "N" and in the apartment where i am now, it's really near, i think it's not more than 1 meter / 1.5 max, and when it works i can roam around without problems, even on balcony for instance.. but tell you what, happened the exact same thing in another much bigger apartment, it could be that the router is near a cordless phone and a microwave oven (which of course is not on all the time). but then again in the other apartment another router is just near a cordless phone and identical problem, let's say every 15 days or something...

i just tried to disable the broadcast of nework SSID from the router, wanna see if it changes anything.. all computers and phones can connect anyway and it's better for security as well
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Aug 2011   #4
seth500

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Have you connected the netbook directly to the router by ethernet?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #5
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
Have you connected the netbook directly to the router by ethernet?
that always works fine, of course. yeah just 1 hour ago didn't work so i plugged the cable, and simply restarted WLAN and after that it "magically" connected, see solution 2) above.

gabrio
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #6
LiquidSnak

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Sorry if I missed it, but what make and how old is the router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #7
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what make and how old is the router?
eheh well no worries, i love this forum anyway...

Router is Sagemcom F@ST2304 from Sky Broadband and i got it 1 month and a half ago i think it's pretty new, but the thing is i have another router back in Italy which is a Netgear which works also flawlessly and there's the EXACT same issue with this computer... so i don't think there's anything to do with the wireless router at all....

like i just mentioned i disabled the broadcast of network SSID right now, wanna see if it makes a difference.

i mean the wireless works perfect, never drops connection like some other ppl complained about, downloads at fantastic speeds, when this happens, it's after i shut it down or reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #8
LiquidSnak

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gabriolinari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what make and how old is the router?
eheh well no worries, i love this forum anyway...

Router is Sagemcom F@ST2304 from Sky Broadband and i got it 1 month and a half ago i think it's pretty new, but the thing is i have another router back in Italy which is a Netgear which works also flawlessly and there's the EXACT same issue with this computer... so i don't think there's anything to do with the wireless router at all....

like i just mentioned i disabled the broadcast of network SSID right now, wanna see if it makes a difference.

i mean the wireless works perfect, never drops connection like some other ppl complained about, downloads at fantastic speeds, when this happens, it's after i shut it down or reboot.
Well, if it happens with two routers, it's unlikely that's the issue. I will see if I can come up with something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2011   #9
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gabriolinari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LiquidSnak View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what make and how old is the router?
eheh well no worries, i love this forum anyway...

Router is Sagemcom F@ST2304 from Sky Broadband and i got it 1 month and a half ago i think it's pretty new, but the thing is i have another router back in Italy which is a Netgear which works also flawlessly and there's the EXACT same issue with this computer... so i don't think there's anything to do with the wireless router at all....

like i just mentioned i disabled the broadcast of network SSID right now, wanna see if it makes a difference.

i mean the wireless works perfect, never drops connection like some other ppl complained about, downloads at fantastic speeds, when this happens, it's after i shut it down or reboot.
Well, if it happens with two routers, it's unlikely that's the issue. I will see if I can come up with something.
thanks a lot, ill be happy to test something.....for the note, wireless card drivers are the latest i could find from www.atheros.cz and they are 9.2.0.113 from 13/11/2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2012   #10
deepace

windows 7 home premium 32 bit
 
 

ya i too am having same problem. at first i thought this might be the router problem because when i change the wireless mode randomly(802.11g +802.11b to 802.11n+802.11g +802.11b), my notebook finds the network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sometimes pc cannot find perfectly working wirelss, why?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Red X On Network Icon But Working Perfectly
Hello. If this has already been covered in another post, please post a link to it? Thanks. Let me start by saying that both my LAN and WAN (Internet) connections are working perfectly. I get full speed on the Internet, and the 4 machines in my house, 2 XP, 1 Vista, and this one which is Win 7,...
Network & Sharing
Wifi working perfectly on my phone, but a mess on my notebook.
I have a HTC One X and my notebook is a Samsung R720 running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. The wifi has been working perfectly on both my phone and notebook for a year or so, and now I installed a bunch of updates on my notebook and I think that caused my problems. Now I have a DLink router, WPA...
Network & Sharing
Wirelss broadband
Hello everyone.I am from denmark and my network supplier is both TDC & TELENOR.TDC provides me landline(through the phone connection) and TELENOR provides me with wireless broadband and i am going to sweden tomorow for 6 days my issue is this:do you think my wireless broadband covers me there,i...
Network & Sharing
I got StarCraft working perfectly in VMware XP Mode!
Here's what I did to get StarCraft working perfectly in Windows 7. 1. Install VMware Player 3. (It's free). 2. Install a virtual Windows XP in VMware. (Through ISO, CD, or by converting your Windows XP mode base VHD file) 3. Install VMware Tools and increase the virtual RAM in VMware to 64. Info...
Gaming
Con't get my wirelss Laptop homegroup to find my pc ethernet homegroup
Hello all, I have connected my pc to the Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz directly with an Ethernet cable and created a homegroup. I then connected my laptop to the linksys with a wireless connection which has a WPA Personal security key. I tried to connect the laptop to the homegroup but instead of...
Network & Sharing
Ramdom BSOD from a perfectly working VISTA Machine (W7)
Hi guys, i have a machine that was working perfectly on vista, but now i get random BSOD every now and then, and almost always when im not using my machine... I dont know how to use minidump files, so i attached the one i get. Im using this computer to work so i need to resolve the problem,...
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App