Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup problems - Homegroup detected, can't join. @wit's end

31 Aug 2011   #1

Win7 64 bit Home Prem
 
 
Homegroup problems - Homegroup detected, can't join. @wit's end

I have a desktop that is connected to my Belkin router via wire. I have 3 laptops that are all connected to the router wirelessly.
  • All computers have Windows 7 64bit and synched clocks.
  • All are connected to a Home network.
  • All 3 laptops detect that a Homegroup has been created on the wired desktop.
  • I'm using the correct Homegroup password.
  • All computers have discovery on.
  • All computers have IPv4 and Ipv6 running.
  • All services are running.
  • Everything else I've read and tried regarding troubleshooting this issue haven't worked.
All computers can see each other on the Network, but can't connect to the Homegroup.

Please help. I'll provide any other info you need. Thanks!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Aug 2011   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Did you set the folders you are sharing to homegroup? Like say your pictures right click on it and set it to share with the homegroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #3

Win7 64 bit Home Prem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
Did you set the folders you are sharing to homegroup? Like say your pictures right click on it and set it to share with the homegroup.
Yes. I created the Homegroup, reset the password, and set the sharing permissions on all of the folders that I need to share. Then I logged in to one of the laptops and it said that "Windows detected a homegroup on your network...". I clicked join, entered the password and, as always, it came back with "windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer. HomeGroup encountered an error." I run the troubleshooter and sometimes it comes back with no errors, sometimes it comes back with "The system time is different than you local standard time." I made sure all computers were getting the time from time.nist.gov.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Aug 2011   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

may sound daft but have you tried unplugging your reuter for ten seconds and re starting ,then try joining the homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Not sure if the information contained here is relevant, but I'll post it anyway.

Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows 7 & HomeGroup: Downlevel Sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hattrix View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
Did you set the folders you are sharing to homegroup? Like say your pictures right click on it and set it to share with the homegroup.
Yes. I created the Homegroup, reset the password, and set the sharing permissions on all of the folders that I need to share. Then I logged in to one of the laptops and it said that "Windows detected a homegroup on your network...". I clicked join, entered the password and, as always, it came back with "windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer. HomeGroup encountered an error." I run the troubleshooter and sometimes it comes back with no errors, sometimes it comes back with "The system time is different than you local standard time." I made sure all computers were getting the time from time.nist.gov.
Just a thought in passing.


You could set up a new network connection using workgroup. Is there an absolute reason you need homegroup?

Workgroup doesnt require (but can use) a password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #7

 

Have you tried to leave the homegroup on all the systems first and then start the homegourp again on one of them and the rest join then??? Just a thought.

If you run into problems leaving the Homegroup you might look here:

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #8

Win7 64 bit Home Prem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hattrix View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seth500 View Post
Did you set the folders you are sharing to homegroup? Like say your pictures right click on it and set it to share with the homegroup.
Yes. I created the Homegroup, reset the password, and set the sharing permissions on all of the folders that I need to share. Then I logged in to one of the laptops and it said that "Windows detected a homegroup on your network...". I clicked join, entered the password and, as always, it came back with "windows cannot set up a HomeGroup on this computer. HomeGroup encountered an error." I run the troubleshooter and sometimes it comes back with no errors, sometimes it comes back with "The system time is different than you local standard time." I made sure all computers were getting the time from time.nist.gov.
Just a thought in passing.


You could set up a new network connection using workgroup. Is there an absolute reason you need homegroup?

Workgroup doesnt require (but can use) a password.
My desktop has a 1TB HD that holds all of our music, pictures, videos, important files etc and I want my wife to have Read/Write access to certain folders/files but I want my 2 daughters to only have Read for some folders and Read/Write for just their folders (on the desktop). I don't want to have to create an account on the desktop for everyone just so they can get the correct permissions to certain folders. HomeGroup does that well without having to create those accounts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Aug 2011   #9

Win7 64 bit Home Prem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
Have you tried to leave the homegroup on all the systems first and then start the homegourp again on one of them and the rest join then??? Just a thought.

If you run into problems leaving the Homegroup you might look here:

Good luck
Since none of the laptops can join the HomeGroup, I don't have to make them "leave" a HomeGroup. I tried once to create a HG on one of the laptops and then try to join from the desktop, but it ended up the same as always.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2011   #10

Windows 7 Home Preium 64bit
 
 

Having tried everything suggested and rechecked it all, I decided it just wasn't worth it and went back to the old thumb drive. It would have been nice and much easier. I do appreciate every one who had a suggestion, thanks for trying to help.
Bob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup problems - Homegroup detected, can't join. @wit's end




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Homegroup problems - Homegroup detected, can't join. @wit's end
Thread Forum
Can't join Homegroup Network & Sharing
How can I join HomeGroup? Network & Sharing
Solved Homegroup encountered an error / This computer cannot join a homegroup Network & Sharing
Can't Join HomeGroup Network & Sharing
cannot join homegroup Network & Sharing
Can't join homegroup, password problems! Network & Sharing
Cannot join homegroup Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33