I've read numerous threads and have been trying for the past six hours trying to get my stupid computer to connect to the wireless network. I have a Dell Studio XPS 1340 laptop, wireless card is "Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WlAN Mini-card", router is cicsco E4200. I don't know that much about computers, so i've been relying on what people have suggested doing in former threads.
I know there is nothing wrong with the router, because the other computers in the house both by LAN and wireless can connect to the internet and it runs super fast. Mine was working great until suddenly last night, it said it was connected but that there was no internet access. I did upgrade my computer from Vista to Windows 7, but that was about a month ago, and I've had no problems since. When I clicked on the diagnostic button to try and let it resolve it itself, it pops up saying "DNS server isn't responding"
This is what I have done already:
1) reboot router, modem (shouldn't be a problem with them since all other computers can access perfectly)
2) I tried turning on/off my wireless on the laptop, and restarting, etc.
3) when I tried to ipconfig /release, it says "no operation can be performed on Local area connection while it has its media disconnected - same goes for when I do ipconfig /renew
4) I also tried flushing the DNS, by typing ipconfig /flushdns, it says successfully flushed the DNS resolver Cache, but after rebooting, nothing's changed.
5) I also went to properties for the wireless network, under Internet Protocol Version 4, I set it to use a manual IP address
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway : 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS : 184.108.40.206
Alternate DNS server 220.127.116.11
I don't understand how the wireless all of a sudden stopped working. Is this some retarded Windows 7 thing. This never happened to me before - before, especially if I've been doing a lot of downloading, I have to unplug the modem, and everything is great. But, now it's just my computer that's not working. So strange...any clues, guys? This is getting frustrating, I'm about to throw it in the trash and just get a new computer, hahaha. Thanks for your help!