Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Internet and Internal home network

04 Sep 2011   #1
kale39

Windows 7 Home Edition
 
 
Internet and Internal home network

Hi guys, hope I'm not re-posting an old question; it seems like a common place question but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Recently we had Wind Mobile come into our town, and now the cheapest/fastest internet option available is their mobile hotspot (12Mbps, unlimited downloading, $30). Only problem is that it doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) work with a router. So, is there any way to have the household computers set up to connect to the internet, while still maintaining an internal network for file transfer/wireless printer connections?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Sep 2011   #2
UKMedia

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kale39 View Post
Hi guys, hope I'm not re-posting an old question; it seems like a common place question but I can't find an answer anywhere.

Recently we had Wind Mobile come into our town, and now the cheapest/fastest internet option available is their mobile hotspot (12Mbps, unlimited downloading, $30). Only problem is that it doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) work with a router. So, is there any way to have the household computers set up to connect to the internet, while still maintaining an internal network for file transfer/wireless printer connections?

Hi

I assume that you have a router and that your household computers are connected together at the moment?

If that is the case then I would leave your setup as it is and then follow the instructions in the link below to setup Internet Connection Sharing. (The host PC will be the one with the dongle attached )

Using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #3
kale39

Windows 7 Home Edition
 
 

Right now we have a broadband modem with a built in router. At the moment I am just trying to figure out IF this will work before I go out an invest the $$$ dollars in this setup. As near as I can tell, the wireless hotspot doesn't allow file transfer between devices on the same network, hence the need for a secondary network. The real question though is: can I do that without having to switch between the hotspot and the internal network every time I want to do something?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Sep 2011   #4
UKMedia

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kale39 View Post
Right now we have a broadband modem with a built in router. At the moment I am just trying to figure out IF this will work before I go out an invest the $$$ dollars in this setup. As near as I can tell, the wireless hotspot doesn't allow file transfer between devices on the same network, hence the need for a secondary network. The real question though is: can I do that without having to switch between the hotspot and the internal network every time I want to do something?
Hi

If your modem has a built in router that allows the other PC's to connect via a HomeGroup or WorkGroup? Then I would leave the setup as it is and disconnect the broadband conection to your existing modem/router but leave the network cables connected. This should enable your old modem/router to maintain file sharing connectivity between your PC's and the ICS will allow the other PC's to access the Internet.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2011   #5
kale39

Windows 7 Home Edition
 
 

The modem's a rental, and is hardwired to only work with an ISP who over charges and under delivers. Hence trying to find a better way to do business.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2011   #6
UKMedia

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kale39 View Post
The modem's a rental, and is hardwired to only work with an ISP who over charges and under delivers. Hence trying to find a better way to do business.

Hi

Okay, in that case you just need to replace your modem with a switch which will allow your network to continue to share files. Something like this (you can go upto a 24 port switch if you require more connections) :

ZyXEL GS108B 8 port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

To enable the other PC's to access the internet, you will see need to follow the instructions for ICS.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Internet and Internal home network




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot connect to internal network and the internet in windows xp mode
All - I have read all the threads regarding this issue. None of them worked. When I set the network card into NAT I can access the internet, but cannot access anything on the internal network. When I set it to bridged mode, I can access everything on the internal network, but I cannot surf. ...
Virtualization
Unidentified home network with Wifi only internet
I've read countless threads (here and elsewhere), but have found nothing that really describes my problem. First of all, some background. I live on a boat and the only available Internet connection is by Wifi. There are no landline or cable connections available. I have two Toshiba laptops,...
Network & Sharing
Windows Seven can't connect to Internet or home network
I installed windows 7 about 5 minutes ago. I then tried to go to the internet and it says that there is not a properly installed network device. How do fix this? In vista in just worked.
Drivers
Home network intermittent internal outage
I have a wifi home network with several devices (laptops, all but one are win7, and a wireless printer) connected through a dsl modem/router (a NexusLink 5631) to each other and to the internet. The laptops can all access shared folders on each others' hard drives, and all can print wirelessly to...
Network & Sharing
Can find home network, but not internet
Hi, until recently my laptop has been connecting via my router to the internet, with no problems. However now it can connect to the router (wireless network) fine, but I can't get to the internet, or nothing can talk to the internet (eg virus updates). What's happened in between: I...
Network & Sharing
LAN Home Network with router + Wifi internet
I have Windows 7 64bit, a Belkin router, and a Wifi usb card. I have a Windows Xp computer networked and shared on the router. I get my internet from the Wifi usb card. I would like to use the internet off the wifi card, but also still connect to my network and get files from the XP...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App