Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Benchmarks apps to test slow WIn 7 to Xp transfer rates

02 Oct 2011   #1
mediaman09

DELL Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
Benchmarks apps to test slow WIn 7 to Xp transfer rates

Across my local network, I am still experiencing really slow Win 7 to XP transfer rates ( 1.5MB/sec) as compared to Win 7 to Win7 transfer rates ( up to 60MB/sec) as noted here.

1) What are some good free benchmark apps I can download to test this more thoroughly and hopefully zero in on a solution?

2) What speeds do other users get when transferring files from Win 7 to XP ( either via backup software or via windows explorer)??


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Oct 2011   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
Across my local network, I am still experiencing really slow Win 7 to XP transfer rates ( 1.5MB/sec) as compared to Win 7 to Win7 transfer rates ( up to 60MB/sec) as noted here.

1) What are some good free benchmark apps I can download to test this more thoroughly and hopefully zero in on a solution?

2) What speeds do other users get when transferring files from Win 7 to XP ( either via backup software or via windows explorer)??
Might be a "homegroup" issue. Homegroup uses IPv6 and some legacy system have connectivity issues. You can test by creating a new network connection using "workgroup"

1-You can use task manager (free and built in)

2-I have gotten as high as 700 Mb (~90MB) under special circumstances using IPV4 and workgroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2011   #3
mediaman09

DELL Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

APPS- I didnt see anything in Task Manager with respect to transfer rates across a network.

TRANSFER RATES - You got 90 MB/ sec ( 700 mbits/sec) transferring files from Win 7 to XP????

HOMEGROUP - Doesn't apply to XP. I 'left' the homegroup ( based on onther tips) just in case it was slowing transfer rates down. I only use workgroup and get the same poor rates (Win 7 to XP) even when setting up a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Oct 2011   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
APPS- I didnt see anything in Task Manager with respect to transfer rates across a network.

TRANSFER RATES - You got 90 MB/ sec ( 700 mbits/sec) transferring files from Win 7 to XP????

HOMEGROUP - Doesn't apply to XP. I 'left' the homegroup ( based on onther tips) just in case it was slowing transfer rates down. I only use workgroup and get the same poor rates (Win 7 to XP) even when setting up a new one.


Apps-The networking tab monitors total traffic.

Xfer- Yep, from a win 7 laptop (6 years old) to a tape server (6 Year old desltop). Both with gigabit cards.

Homegroup uses IPV6 XP and legacy systems work better in IPV4, so it does apply. If the homegroup didnt yield a higher throughput I would check the drivers with a latency checker like DPC Latency Checker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #5
mediaman09

DELL Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Apps-The networking tab monitors total traffic.
I see the tab, but I see nothing about transfer rates. It just tells me I have a giga-bit network card and % network utilization. Are you saying the pecentage values can be used to determine transfer rate????


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #6
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Apps-The networking tab monitors total traffic.
I see the tab, but I see nothing about transfer rates. It just tells me I have a giga-bit network card and % network utilization. Are you saying the pecentage values can be used to determine transfer rate????
Or you can try Net limiter (it measures as well as limiting if wanted) NetLimiter - The Ultimate Bandwidth Shaper
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #7
mediaman09

DELL Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
HOMEGROUP - Doesn't apply to XP. I 'left' the homegroup ( based on onther tips) just in case it was slowing transfer rates down. I only use workgroup and get the same poor rates (Win 7 to XP) even when setting up a new one.

Homegroup uses IPV6 XP and legacy systems work better in IPV4, so it does apply.
Everything I have ever read in any forum, and from Microsoft themselved, says Homegroup only applies to Win 7 machines ONLY. See Microsoft screenshots.

Could you elaborate on your statement that its does apply to XP and suggest how one can add an XP machine to a Homegroup??? I thought the only way to share files between Win 7 and XP is via Workgroups (which is what I have now - and what is still giving me only 1.5MB/sec transfer rates)


Attached Thumbnails
-homegroups_win_7_only.png  
Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2011   #8
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
HOMEGROUP - Doesn't apply to XP. I 'left' the homegroup ( based on onther tips) just in case it was slowing transfer rates down. I only use workgroup and get the same poor rates (Win 7 to XP) even when setting up a new one.

Homegroup uses IPV6 XP and legacy systems work better in IPV4, so it does apply.
Everything I have ever read in any forum, and from Microsoft themselved, says Homegroup only applies to Win 7 machines ONLY. See Microsoft screenshots.

Could you elaborate on your statement that its does apply to XP and suggest how one can add an XP machine to a Homegroup??? I thought the only way to share files between Win 7 and XP is via Workgroups (whics what I have now - and what is still giving me only 1.5MB/sec transfer rates)
If you have workgroups and not homegroups it is something else. When you set up the machine (win 7) it asked you if you were on a home network, a work network, or a public network.
\
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2011   #9
mediaman09

DELL Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mediaman09 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post


Homegroup uses IPV6 XP and legacy systems work better in IPV4, so it does apply.
Everything I have ever read in any forum, and from Microsoft themselved, says Homegroup only applies to Win 7 machines ONLY. See Microsoft screenshots.

Could you elaborate on your statement that its does apply to XP and suggest how one can add an XP machine to a Homegroup??? I thought the only way to share files between Win 7 and XP is via Workgroups (whics what I have now - and what is still giving me only 1.5MB/sec transfer rates)
If you have workgroups and not homegroups it is something else. When you set up the machine (win 7) it asked you if you were on a home network, a work network, or a public network.
\
Yes I know.... but you are saying you can add an XP machine to a HomeGroup. How?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Benchmarks apps to test slow WIn 7 to Xp transfer rates




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB Thumb Drive transfer rates drop off...
Hello, I have a USB that is relatively new, and i have even formatted it multiple times. 0% fragmentation. I also just defragged my HDD. I am trying to transfer over a movie i just ripped to view on my Roku. The file transfer speed started off at 233 MB/S, but now, roughly four minutes later, Im...
Performance & Maintenance
usb 3.0 EXTREMELY slow transfer rates
Dear Forum Users, I have just purchased an external WD 500GB usb 3.0 hard drive. My motherboard does not natively support usb 3.0 so in addition I also bought a usb 3.0 controller which I connected to one of those mini PCI slots on my motherboard which gave me 2 usb 3.0 ports. (My MB...
Hardware & Devices
Internal HDD Data Transfer Rates.
hello. Simply put... i have a Samsung spinpoint F1 1TB 7200 sata 2 transfering 40 GB's to a Western Digital 3TB Green Caviar sata 3 5200. i dont believe i have set anything to do with sata transfer rates. its taking 10+ minutes to complete the 40 GB data transfer. Is this normal? if it...
Hardware & Devices
Slow to open apps, all Net apps slow, slow to type... laggy everything
I have a nearly fresh install of Win7 32 bit on a pretty modern machine. It has been intermittently laggy since I installed Win7 about three weeks ago. Here is a list of symptoms: 1) Apps are slow to open 2) Double clicks aren't registered until 5-10 seconds later 3) Typing is slow on most...
BSOD Help and Support
Slow wireless file transfer rates.
Hi guys, I have a D-Link DGL-4500 connecting 3 machines: mine, my wife's, and the tv room, which is wireless using a Linksys WMP54G. The problem is I can't seem to transfer large files wirelessly at an acceptable speed. When I first boot up the tv room, the connection is good, 54Mbps, as...
Network & Sharing
Security Shootout:10 Top Antivirus Apps Put to the Test
Security Shootout: 10 Top Antivirus Apps Put to the Test
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App