First of all, you need to have File and Printer Sharing
enabled. And the way to do that has once again been changed:
- Open the control panel.
- Go to Network and Internet.
- Go to Network and Sharing Center.
- In the left column, click on Change advanced sharing settings.
- There are two profiles. You probably donít want this on when youíre on a public network so open Home or Work.
- Under the header File and Printer sharing, select the Turn onÖ option.
And now your administrative shares still donít work
Youíve just completed step 1 which implies thereís at least a step 2 and here it is: you also need to change the registry.
- Click on the orb (= the round button with the Windows logo in the taskbar) and type regedit in the search box.
- Open the registry editor.
- Navigate all the way to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
- Right-click in the pane on the right side and add a new DWORD (32-bit).
- Give the new setting the name LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.
- Double click on that setting and give it a value of 1.
Itís probably wise to reboot after doing this, although it might not be needed. Iím not sure if it works straight away because I rebooted without trying.
Here is a link if you want to know more on hidden Admin share: Windows 7 Ė The $admin share | Remote Administration For Windows