Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Setting up HP Laserjet 4m Plus w/JetDirect on network


30 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 
Setting up HP Laserjet 4m Plus w/JetDirect on network

I have a HP Laserjet 4m Plus printer that has a JetDirect card J2552B installed. I would like to attach it to my network (10Base -T to Linksys E3200 router). I was able to figure out how to print a configuration page from the HP, so I have the IP address. I went through Add a Printer using the IP address and then selected the HP list from the drop down provided and it appears to set it up but when I try to print a test page nothing happens. In Devices & Printers, it shows up but has the Troubleshooting icon on it. I run the troubleshooter and it says that the printer cannot be connected over the network.

I would appreciate any assistance however would request that any information be kept simple.

I really want to keep my HP and make it accessible to all the family's computers. I've tried Zonet ZPS3611 Parallel Print Server, but in spite of the wizard setting up the print server, it also does not seem to work.

Thanks!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2011   #2

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by genpobox6615 View Post
I have a HP Laserjet 4m Plus printer that has a JetDirect card J2552B installed. I would like to attach it to my network (10Base -T to Linksys E3200 router). I was able to figure out how to print a configuration page from the HP, so I have the IP address. I went through Add a Printer using the IP address and then selected the HP list from the drop down provided and it appears to set it up but when I try to print a test page nothing happens. In Devices & Printers, it shows up but has the Troubleshooting icon on it. I run the troubleshooter and it says that the printer cannot be connected over the network.

I would appreciate any assistance however would request that any information be kept simple.

I really want to keep my HP and make it accessible to all the family's computers. I've tried Zonet ZPS3611 Parallel Print Server, but in spite of the wizard setting up the print server, it also does not seem to work.

Thanks!
Welcome to the windows 7 forums.

I have done this by setting up the printer as a laserjet 2000 and not letting the printer be automatically found. I create the printer as if it is local and then add a tcp/ip port giving the ip that you already found by printing the config page. As long as the printer is set for dhcp, and then once you have it setup, you can then go into your browser and log into the printer and set the IP as static. Then all you have to do is to go to each machine and add a printer, like I use the lj 2000 which comes with windows 7. the port is set to tcp/ip and put in the ip and it should work.
At least that's how I have done it a few times for older printers that are not supported by windows 7. most of the hp lasers will respond fine with standard laser commands.

It is worth a shot..

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 

Thank you for your help. I could not find an HP Laserjet 2000 in the drop down list provided after I set up a local printer with the port using the IP I have. So I tried a few of the other laserjets listed like 2100, 1015 etc. to no avail. It shows up in Devices & Printers but will not print a test page nor can I access it through the browser. I used to use a Belkin Networking USB hub and a parallel-usb controller, which worked until the Belkin hub died. I'll have to see what else I can do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Nov 2011   #4

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by genpobox6615 View Post
Thank you for your help. I could not find an HP Laserjet 2000 in the drop down list provided after I set up a local printer with the port using the IP I have. So I tried a few of the other laserjets listed like 2100, 1015 etc. to no avail. It shows up in Devices & Printers but will not print a test page nor can I access it through the browser. I used to use a Belkin Networking USB hub and a parallel-usb controller, which worked until the Belkin hub died. I'll have to see what else I can do.
Is the ip in the same range as your computer?
It could have had it's ip set to static in another environment.

I show the hp lj 4 on my printer selections for hp's


Rich


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 

You are correct the IP is different. Getting back to the keep it simple, how do I change it to something within the range of my network? I found HP LJ 4m plus in the list, so I'll use that if I can change the IP, which hopefully will help.

Thank you SO much for helping me with this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2011   #6

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

I am not 100% sure but doesn't the lj have a status window and then you can go into configuration and change the IP. Either that or put the known ip for the printer into your browser and log into the printer. then you should be able to change the network part of the printer to dhcp, then when you say ok, you will lose control of the printer. then you need to put the new ip into your browser and log back into the printer again. set the ip to static and it should then stay there for your other machines to print to it.

Rich
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 

I DID IT!!!! I DID IT!!! (With 2 minor things...see below) Wow, I never thought with my computer skills, I'd manage. So I used the front panel to reset the MIO menu following HP Color LaserJet, Business Inkjet, and LaserJet Printers - Configuring TCP/IP through the Front Control Panel - bpj02326 - HP Business Support Center (scroll down for HP 4 instructions) I left BootP = Yes and then printed out a fresh Configuration page from the HP.

I set it up as a Network Printer,
  • selected the option that the printer wasn't listed,
  • selected Add a printer using TCP/IP,
  • Device type TCP/IP Device and typed in the new IP address from the fresh HP Config Printout

To get the Configuration Printout:
1. Press On Line to take the printer OFF LINE.
2. Press Menu until TEST MENU appears on the printer panel.
3. Press Item until SELF TEST appears on the panel.
4. Press Enter to print a self test page.
5. Press On Line to return the printer ON LINE.

Now 2 remaining things:
  1. I went to the browser and typed in the IP port number to try and do as you said to set the IP to static, but I get an "Unable to connect" message.
  2. As it stands now, will the IP change on the printer if I turn off/on my router (Linksys E3200)?
Ideas?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, they have helped point me in the right direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #8

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 

OK, I still cannot use the browser to access the printer via the IP address however, I was able to figure out how to make it a static IP....or at least I think so. I found out that just turning my printer off/on was resetting the IP, which may be a "no-duh" to most but to a newbie like me, it was a revelation.

Anyway, I went back into the HP's panel and changed the BOOTP to NO and then went through the IP bytes steps and the subnet mask bytes steps (keeping the IP that it had assigned at that point) and that seems to work and keeps the set IP through numerous off/on cycles of the printer.

Have I missed anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2011   #9

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by genpobox6615 View Post
OK, I still cannot use the browser to access the printer via the IP address however, I was able to figure out how to make it a static IP....or at least I think so. I found out that just turning my printer off/on was resetting the IP, which may be a "no-duh" to most but to a newbie like me, it was a revelation.

Anyway, I went back into the HP's panel and changed the BOOTP to NO and then went through the IP bytes steps and the subnet mask bytes steps (keeping the IP that it had assigned at that point) and that seems to work and keeps the set IP through numerous off/on cycles of the printer.

Have I missed anything?
Looks like you have become an expert in IP address's and hp printers.

Congratulations, you most likely learned a lot which is the name of the game in computers.

If it is working. great...
Rich

PS: if your satisfied, then you can mark the thread close..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit
 
 

Ok I did my happy dance a bit too soon. Everything works as described above however, if one does not print for a few hours, then sending a document to be printed on the HP does nothing but put it in the queue. I have to Remove the printer and Add it again using exactly the same settings as before. A print out of the HP Configuration page shows that the IP address is remaining static at what I set it to.

So any ideas on why it just stops responding to a print command? All household computers which have printed successfully to the HP using the IP port are running Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Setting up HP Laserjet 4m Plus w/JetDirect on network




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Setting up HP Laserjet 4m Plus w/JetDirect on network
Thread Forum
unable to use printer (hp laserjet m1319f) over network Network & Sharing
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting Network & Sharing
problem with network printer hp laserjet 1020, 1200 Network & Sharing
HP Laserjet 1200 No Go on Network Network & Sharing
Solved IS this possible without setting up a network.. General Discussion
Sharing HP Laserjet 2820 on wireless network Network & Sharing
LaserJet 1015 on a network Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33