Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remote Desktop Connection log

05 Dec 2011   #1
Atom

win7 64 Home Premium
 
 
Remote Desktop Connection log

I've recently set up a couple of my computers to use RDP so I can log on to them while I'm away from home. During the set up and troubleshooting, I asked a trustworth friend to log on to make sure that everything was working. Lately I've left one of portforwards on in my router, but one still needs the password to get on the computer. This morning I saw that the computer had a windows logon screen which tells me that someone had logged on to this computer. I checked with my friend and it wasn't him, so I'm wondering if I can figure out how this happened and what further measures I need to take to protect my systems.

Specifically, I'm wondering if Windows keeps a log of this, and where I can find it. I'm running Win7 pro.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Dec 2011   #2
WebMattR

W7 Professional x64
 
 

If anywhere, I'd guess it would show up in the security log of the computer.


Two thoughts on the matter:
1) I'd guess that nobody is accessing your systems, unless it's a confidential system, with Trade Secrets/User Data/etc. I'm not sure why you saw what you did. most likely a side-effect of your having logged in remotely.

2) If the former is true (trade secrets/etc), why would you store it at home, and be logging in remotely?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Dec 2011   #3
Atom

win7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WebMattR View Post
If anywhere, I'd guess it would show up in the security log of the computer.


Two thoughts on the matter:
1) I'd guess that nobody is accessing your systems, unless it's a confidential system, with Trade Secrets/User Data/etc. I'm not sure why you saw what you did. most likely a side-effect of your having logged in remotely.

2) If the former is true (trade secrets/etc), why would you store it at home, and be logging in remotely?
Well, about the only thing on it is trade secrets, but it's not something I would expect anyone to be able to recognize or make use of. I work at home, so where else would I keep this. Plus, when you've logged on to my home network you have some access to other computers. I've changed the port number for RDP and my password just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Dec 2011   #4
WebMattR

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Well, about the only thing on it is trade secrets, but it's not something I would expect anyone to be able to recognize or make use of. I work at home, so where else would I keep this. Plus, when you've logged on to my home network you have some access to other computers. I've changed the port number for RDP and my password just in case.
Well, if you've changed RDP port and your password then you should be safe.

Speaking as an IT guy, to someone who sounds like a runs-their-own-business sort, I'd like to provide you with one last pointer that's semi-unrelated: if you run your own business, and you've a lot of critical files/receipts/etc stored on your computer, then I would strongly encourage you to 1) buy a UPS battery back up, and 2) at least have your drives mirrored, if you don't have a seperate machine used for backups.

And if you need any help with either of those, start a new thread, so we don't get yelled at by mods.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2011   #5
Atom

win7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WebMattR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Atom View Post
Well, about the only thing on it is trade secrets, but it's not something I would expect anyone to be able to recognize or make use of. I work at home, so where else would I keep this. Plus, when you've logged on to my home network you have some access to other computers. I've changed the port number for RDP and my password just in case.
Well, if you've changed RDP port and your password then you should be safe.

Speaking as an IT guy, to someone who sounds like a runs-their-own-business sort, I'd like to provide you with one last pointer that's semi-unrelated: if you run your own business, and you've a lot of critical files/receipts/etc stored on your computer, then I would strongly encourage you to 1) buy a UPS battery back up, and 2) at least have your drives mirrored, if you don't have a seperate machine used for backups.

And if you need any help with either of those, start a new thread, so we don't get yelled at by mods.
Thanks for your input. I have a SmartUPS 1000 which is hooked to a couple of car batteries for extra life. I just discarded those puny internal batteries. My information is spread around on different drives on different computers due to the nature of my work, and I use Carbonite.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Dec 2011   #6
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

One additional security option is the use of an extremal drive for storage of critical files. as this drive would only be connected when you need to access the information it does not risk leaving files available for remote access. If you choose a truly portable option (USB powered) yo can take this with you when you travel and remove the actual need for remote access. Another advantage is that this drive can be stored in a fireproof safe so as to provide total disaster prevention, (though for complete cover at least two mirrored portable drives would be needed, One with you always and one locked away safely).

This may be overkill for your needs but it is the way that gives the best protection for critical business data,

Off site backup of this type of critical data should be something that is considered even if you decide to retain your current system, as this caters for the worst type of natural disaster, fire or similar.

Computer hardware can be replaced but if the worst happens it's the retention of data that can make or break a company.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remote Desktop Connection log




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Identifying remote computer for Remote Desktop Connection
Remote Desktop Connection wants the IP or name of the remote computer to connect to. But suppose the remote computer is behind a router. The router has one WAN IP, say 192.45.63.98, which will be the same for all the computers connected off of that router, (when you google "my ip" from any of...
Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection RDC/RDP - maybe not
Since foxint and I might be exploring alternatives to RDC/RDP... ...I thought it best to split the discussion from this thread. @foxit, wow - sorry that you have not gotten this working like you need. Now that I know what you are wanting to do, I'm a torn between helping you continue down this...
Network & Sharing
Can't set up a Remote Desktop Connection
Hello, I have been trying for a very long time to set up a Remote Desktop Connection to my work server, and am unable to set it up and connect. I have no idea what the problem is. The network administrator gave me the IP address for the server and I have double checked that it is correct. He...
Network & Sharing
Remote desktop connection
Is it possible to remote connect to another computer from Win 7 ultimate 64bit if the other computer is running windows xp sp3 or any lower version of windows 7? thanks
Network & Sharing
remote desktop connection....
i am trying to connect to my windows vista laptop from my 7 computer but i keep getting this come up i have tried typing in both passwords of both computers but it just says login faild?? look at the attachment shows you what im trying to explain
Network & Sharing
remote desktop connection
Hi all, anyone know how I can pair my windows 7 laptop and vista desktop with remote desktop connection? I want to be able to access my desktop from my laptop when i am elsewhere. Is that possible? Thanks
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App