Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB N adapter

11 Jan 2012   #1
metalmania31

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 
USB N adapter

Hello, so last year I upgraded our router to Netgear WNDR3700v2 and we still have a couple computers using g cards. I was wondering has the USB adapters improved greatly? Currently my laptop has a Broadcom 1390 internal card. Would a USB N adapter improve the network or should I find an internal card?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2012   #2
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

YES....remember the biggest advantage is the speed...54mbps vs. 300mbps. A very big noticeable difference, especially in the DL/UL of large files, pictures and streaming video. The biggest improvement is WPS...makes connecting to a network idiot proof. No more manually inputting settings. Push a button and bam...

What is Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) or NETGEAR's Push 'n' Connect?

It's the cheaper way to increase wi-fi speed by adding a simple $20 to $40 USB N adapter vs buying a new laptop with it built in. Just remember to turn off or disable existing wi-fi on older G laptops.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #3
metalmania31

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 

I understand that, I was wondering about real world performance. I've used a USB adpater in the past and it was less than ideal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2012   #4
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Again...Yes...I have two of them and both are neatgear. One on my daughters old, old HP laptop that never had built in wi-fi. It had a G Pci card. The other is on kids desktop. The main router is in MB and the kids laptop/desktop are at the other end of the house. I was very much surprised by there performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #5
metalmania31

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 

Which brand and model are you using?
I don't use WPS since I have a static network. I use that because I remote to my families PC's for troubleshooting and such. Which makes it easier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #6
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

The older usb 1.0 supported 12 mbps. So that would not have benefited you.
usb 2.0 supports (theoretically) 480 mbps. Even if less, you should realize the near benefit of the wi-fi adapter.
usb 3.0, btw, supports 4.8 gbps. can't wait to see that wi-fi adapter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #7
metalmania31

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
The older usb 1.0 supported 12 mbps. So that would not have benefited you.
usb 2.0 supports (theoretically) 480 mbps. Even if less, you should realize the near benefit of the wi-fi adapter.
usb 3.0, btw, supports 4.8 gbps. can't wait to see that wi-fi adapter
Well my Dell E1505 is old so it doesn't have USB 3.0.
Newegg has Rosewill adapters with mostly good reviews, so I'm looking into those.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #8
Lemur

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metalmania31 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
The older usb 1.0 supported 12 mbps. So that would not have benefited you.
usb 2.0 supports (theoretically) 480 mbps. Even if less, you should realize the near benefit of the wi-fi adapter.
usb 3.0, btw, supports 4.8 gbps. can't wait to see that wi-fi adapter
Well my Dell E1505 is old so it doesn't have USB 3.0.
Newegg has Rosewill adapters with mostly good reviews, so I'm looking into those.
Well, the E1505 is 2.0 compliant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #9
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metalmania31 View Post
Which brand and model are you using?
I don't use WPS since I have a static network. I use that because I remote to my families PC's for troubleshooting and such. Which makes it easier.
With the link I referred you to, I was talking about how the network connection is automated. A button on the router and one on the adapter...push and connect...so simple.

These are the two I have.

WG111T
WNA1100
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2012   #10
metalmania31

Windows 7 Pro 64bit build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by metalmania31 View Post
Which brand and model are you using?
I don't use WPS since I have a static network. I use that because I remote to my families PC's for troubleshooting and such. Which makes it easier.
With the link I referred you to, I was talking about how the network connection is automated. A button on the router and one on the adapter...push and connect...so simple.

These are the two I have.

WG111T
WNA1100
I know I just prefer to manually input that information. And thanks for the info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB N adapter




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wifi adapter could not bind IP protocol stack to network adapter
Hello! I registered to forums to get help to solve wireless adapter issue I am having. I have been looking for help in Lenovo forums and AV provider: problem is still on. Background I changed AV software from Symantec to F-Secure. I uninstalled Symantec software and installed F-Secure...
Hardware & Devices
Bridging local adapter and VPN adapter
Are there any performance or security issues in bridging local adapter with VPN adapter? VPN is an external service provider.
Network & Sharing
AWUS036H adapter can't find specific network but inbuilt adapter can
Hello I have my AWUS036H for a few months now and it worked perfect until now. My landlord has a router in his appartment and I need to connect to that router to get access to the internet. I bought this adapter for a better signal but this week I got a very weird problem. My adapter can find...
Network & Sharing
display adapter is stuck on standard vga adapter
I know there are several threads but they are with different cards and they didn't solve my issue... I bought a new MEDION AKOYA P5334E and the system arrived installed normally with win7 home edition. I've installed on the computer the win7 enterprise edition (x64) and many drivers could...
Drivers
usb adapter only connects at 48Mbps when it says 150mbps usb adapter?
i have a EDIMAX 150Mbps b/g/n usb adapter. and only connects at 48mbps. it should at least do 54mbps with a G router? somebody help
Network & Sharing
WiFi Miniport Adapter/Adapter #2 Error
I just bought a brand new Asus K52F and when the laptop goes into sleep mode the "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter & WiFi Miniport Adapter #2" fail. When i turn the computer back on i have trouble connecting to the internet, and the devices have error (code 43). I can still connect to the...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App