Well folks I have networking again!
Other problems I had was some error events including DHCP client and TCP/IP NetBios helper that failed with a 7001 event. They depended on an "ancilliary function" driver
for winsock service that failed.
I removed everything, all TCP protocols, everything from the network interfaces then copied afd.sys, tcpip.sys, and netbt.sys from another Vista machine.
Then I rebooted and re-installed tcp/ip protocols....might have rebooted again but I next intalled client for MS networking and it went in. Previously it would fail.
A quick ipconfig showed I have an IP assigned and then IE poped up google just like it should!
Then I checked to see if I could create a restore point and it did.
The only thing I might have done before this was to try and uninstall some Office 2007 updates that would not come out earlier and one out of the last three did.
Boy am I happy