Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Active directory


03 Feb 2012   #1

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 
Active directory

I am very new to active directory. Hence I need to make my basics strong. Hence if any one could answer this for me please.
If I run a company, say 'a financial', If I have 10 users. I have also installed windows server 2008 in one of my computers and
given windows vista to the client computers. How will I make the client computers connect to my server? If I install DHCP server
will it give private IP or APIPA(169.X.X.X). With APIPA could I communicate? Also I dont have ISP becuase I am not hosting a webste.
Is it possible to have active directory in this environment? Or to have active directory I should always be conected to the internet?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2012   #2

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Welcome to SF.

On the client, right click on computer. Left click on properties. Under computer name, domain, and workgroup settings -> select "change settings".

I typically select "Change" to specify the domain. You might want to use the wizard.


Attached Images
  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2012   #3
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Hi ajishb03,

If you are up for a big challenge, you may configure your Windows 2008 Server as a Domain Controller, AD will be created automatically. It is always a good practice to configure DHCP and don't forget the DNS from the Server, then you may create/add all 10 Users in AD Users & Computers - see Lemur's Post on how to join a computer in your Domain Controller.

If you decide not to configure DHCP in your Server, you may enable DHCP from your Router (it will create conflict if your have both enabled). Make sure that all your 10 PC's have DHCP or Auto IP Enabled, they will have to receive the IP Addresses from your Router or Server. You will get the IPIPA Addressing if the IP is not configured properly from your network.

If this is the first time that you are setting up a Domain Network, you will need to do a lot of reading and training. A few others will go through some professional In-Person training, I was one of those.

A good Tutorial here on how to configure a Windows 2008 Server as your first DC.

You don't have to have a Domain Network, Workgroup will also do.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Feb 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

You don't have to be on the Internet for Active Directory. If you setup a DHCP server, you can have the server hand out IP's on any range you like, APIPA is just what is used when a DHCP server cannot be found. If the machines all got APIPA addresses, they could talk to one another as they are technically on the same subnet.

I question why you would ever put Vista on the workstations though. Windows 7 is a much better choice, and often times easier on less capable hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 7 32 bit & Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

One thing of note: I see that at least your listed system is home premium.

Remember that not all versions of vista will be able to join a domain. (in vista home premium and basic can not join)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #6

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Welcome to SF.

On the client, right click on computer. Left click on properties. Under computer name, domain, and workgroup settings -> select "change settings".

I typically select "Change" to specify the domain. You might want to use the wizard.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #7

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
You don't have to be on the Internet for Active Directory. If you setup a DHCP server, you can have the server hand out IP's on any range you like, APIPA is just what is used when a DHCP server cannot be found. If the machines all got APIPA addresses, they could talk to one another as they are technically on the same subnet.

I question why you would ever put Vista on the workstations though. Windows 7 is a much better choice, and often times easier on less capable hardware.
Thank you for your reply too. Ok if internet is not required for active directory to work, then that means DNS server works for intranet as well??? Because I learned active directory cannot work without DNS server and I thought DNS server works only for internet. If DNS works for intranet (locally) then why we use www.x.com for domain.. could www be used locally for an intranet???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #8

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ahven2001 View Post
One thing of note: I see that at least your listed system is home premium.

Remember that not all versions of vista will be able to join a domain. (in vista home premium and basic can not join)
sure mate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #9

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi ajishb03,

If you are up for a big challenge, you may configure your Windows 2008 Server as a Domain Controller, AD will be created automatically. It is always a good practice to configure DHCP and don't forget the DNS from the Server, then you may create/add all 10 Users in AD Users & Computers - see Lemur's Post on how to join a computer in your Domain Controller.

If you decide not to configure DHCP in your Server, you may enable DHCP from your Router (it will create conflict if your have both enabled). Make sure that all your 10 PC's have DHCP or Auto IP Enabled, they will have to receive the IP Addresses from your Router or Server. You will get the IPIPA Addressing if the IP is not configured properly from your network.

If this is the first time that you are setting up a Domain Network, you will need to do a lot of reading and training. A few others will go through some professional In-Person training, I was one of those.

A good Tutorial here on how to configure a Windows 2008 Server as your first DC.

You don't have to have a Domain Network, Workgroup will also do.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much... so do you mean we could set an active directory on a work group as well. ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2012   #10

windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Welcome to SF.

On the client, right click on computer. Left click on properties. Under computer name, domain, and workgroup settings -> select "change settings".

I typically select "Change" to specify the domain. You might want to use the wizard.
you guys make learning easier...please contribute more....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Active directory




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Active directory
Thread Forum
Solved Frustrations with Active directory General Discussion
Active Directory Alternative Network & Sharing
Best NAS for Windows 7 & Active Directory Network & Sharing
Active Directory Services is Currently not available Hardware & Devices
Active Directory Information General Discussion
Active Directory Domain not available Hardware & Devices
add TABS to my Active Directory General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33