Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: block people using my wifi freely


06 Mar 2012   #1

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
block people using my wifi freely

guys,
i had my own wireless set in my shop,and i already set in the password to prevent somebdy else using it freely,but recently one 'friend' of mine come and ask for the password,unable to refuse,i simply gave him my key,and now he using it,FOR FREE!!!
i dont mind sharing my wireless but atleast he shuld help me to pay but when i ask him to,he simply said,that is not mine,so he dont have right to pay..

so is there any solution to block him from using my wifi freely without changing my old password,because if i change it he sure will come back and i'm not sure i can refuse to give him another password..i check his computer name using my cmd on net view,but i dont even know how to block him..any help and response will be appreciate,and sory for my bad english.

beg.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Mar 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Obviously he's no friend or he wouldn't be taking advantage of you.

You'll have to change your wireless password and you also need to password-protect your computer so that he can't get access to it.

As for not being able to refuse him, just hold a knife to his throat and tell him he's having no more free rides on your wireless network. If he persists, report him to your ISP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by B E G View Post
guys,
i had my own wireless set in my shop,and i already set in the password to prevent somebdy else using it freely,but recently one 'friend' of mine come and ask for the password,unable to refuse,i simply gave him my key,and now he using it,FOR FREE!!!
i dont mind sharing my wireless but atleast he shuld help me to pay but when i ask him to,he simply said,that is not mine,so he dont have right to pay..

so is there any solution to block him from using my wifi freely without changing my old password,because if i change it he sure will come back and i'm not sure i can refuse to give him another password..i check his computer name using my cmd on net view,but i dont even know how to block him..any help and response will be appreciate,and sory for my bad english.

beg.
Aye, the old irony of WiFi passwords of neighbors and actually asking for them.

Well, you can simply use MAC filtering on your router. Just access the router's configuration page, go to the MAC address filtering tab, and whitelist the PCs and other devices you own by inputting their MAC addresses.

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Mar 2012   #4

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

knife?i got my gun..
i realy dont want to change my password dude,maybe i shuld just shut off my modem and let both of us cant access internet..lol
thanx for reply seavixen32..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #5

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

oreo27,
i try and let you know soon..
thanx.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Alternatively, you could set up an access list on your router (if it supported) so that only known MAC addresses can connect to the network if you know how to do that ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #7

Windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

ibshaw,
i am watching youtube to learn it now lol..
thanx in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by B E G View Post
knife?i got my gun..
i realy dont want to change my password dude,maybe i shuld just shut off my modem and let both of us cant access internet..lol
thanx for reply seavixen32..
Gun is good!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

When your "friend" comes back and says he can't get on your Wi_Fi just act dumb and say your PC's are working fine and the password is correct. Must be a problem with his PC. It will drive him crazy trying to fix his PC.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2012   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
When your "friend" comes back and says he can't get on your Wi_Fi just act dumb and say your PC's are working fine and the password is correct. Must be a problem with his PC. It will drive him crazy trying to fix his PC.

Jim
Exactly what I was thinking thus the MAC filtering option. I did that in our office for our dedicated ISP for our department. 6Mbps for three people That's something in the Philippines.

Sorry for the off topic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 block people using my wifi freely




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33