Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Ethernet Connection Unresponsive

05 May 2012   #1
chitoh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Ethernet Connection Unresponsive

Hey all, I looked around but could not find anything else like the problem that I have now. I can get online with WiFi fine but i'm assuming that my LAN adapter isn't working correctly.

Here's some things I've tried:
re-installing drivers for my Ethernet port
went through my routers settings and it failed to receive any packets
tried 2 other cables
ipconfig release > renew (said it failed because there was no response to DHCP?)


Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Zachary>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Zachary-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connectio
n
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-6A-39-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ac3b:7945:3950:2789%14(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.39.137(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 248012800
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-0C-63-D9-C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys AE2500
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::60ec:7eca:e162:74ef%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 05, 2012 3:48:49 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:48:49 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247513536
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-0C-63-D9-C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
71.242.0.12
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:38e2:252:9f0b:82c(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38e2:252:9f0b:82c%15(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{CA7E860A-508A-4887-A421-DB79356AAC01}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

EDIT: Ipconfig /all just in case it's asked for




Attached Thumbnails
Ethernet Connection Unresponsive-ethernet.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 May 2012   #2
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Have a look at this thread, which offers several possible solutions.

Unidentified Network appears every Windows 7 reboot and stops NW access
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chitoh View Post
Hey all, I looked around but could not find anything else like the problem that I have now. I can get online with WiFi fine but i'm assuming that my LAN adapter isn't working correctly.

Here's some things I've tried:
re-installing drivers for my Ethernet port
went through my routers settings and it failed to receive any packets
tried 2 other cables
ipconfig release > renew (said it failed because there was no response to DHCP?)


Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Zachary>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Zachary-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connectio
n
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-6A-39-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ac3b:7945:3950:2789%14(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.39.137(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 248012800
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-0C-63-D9-C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys AE2500
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::60ec:7eca:e162:74ef%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 05, 2012 3:48:49 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:48:49 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247513536
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-0C-63-D9-C0-C1-C0-69-B5-12

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
71.242.0.12
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:38e2:252:9f0b:82c(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38e2:252:9f0b:82c%15(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{CA7E860A-508A-4887-A421-DB79356AAC01}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

EDIT: Ipconfig /all just in case it's asked for
You should check your IPv4 properties window for the wired connection and make sure nothing is entered there and that you have the dot filled to "obtain and IP address automatically, which will enable DHCP.

I can tell by looking at your wireless connection that you have a DNS entry for IPv4 properties, you should also delete that entry and let the router find the DNS for you.

Make sure you have two DNS servers typed in at your routers set up page where it says DNS servers.

You may need to reset the router and start all over again on the settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 May 2012   #4
chitoh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
You should check your IPv4 properties window for the wired connection and make sure nothing is entered there and that you have the dot filled to "obtain and IP address automatically, which will enable DHCP.

I can tell by looking at your wireless connection that you have a DNS entry for IPv4 properties, you should also delete that entry and let the router find the DNS for you.

Make sure you have two DNS servers typed in at your routers set up page where it says DNS servers.

You may need to reset the router and start all over again on the settings.
I've uploaded a pic below showing that there's nothing manually inputted in either ip/dns. Should I continue to reset the router with new settings?


Attached Thumbnails
Ethernet Connection Unresponsive-response.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chitoh View Post
Quote:
You should check your IPv4 properties window for the wired connection and make sure nothing is entered there and that you have the dot filled to "obtain and IP address automatically, which will enable DHCP.

I can tell by looking at your wireless connection that you have a DNS entry for IPv4 properties, you should also delete that entry and let the router find the DNS for you.

Make sure you have two DNS servers typed in at your routers set up page where it says DNS servers.

You may need to reset the router and start all over again on the settings.
I've uploaded a pic below showing that there's nothing manually inputted in either ip/dns. Should I continue to reset the router with new settings?

Yes I would reset the router then go through the routers set up page making sure everything is set up correctly. Type in the DNS servers you want to use, enable DHCP, set up wireless access with SSID and password, WPA-2 security with AES encryption.

From what I could see you had a DNS address entered in the IPv4 settings of your wireless connection >DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1, 71.242.0.12, the first DNS entry points to the routers default gateway as it should, the second indicates that there is a DNS server entry, in bold which should be removed. You should add the DNS servers to your routers set up page instead.

If that doesn't work then the driver may be at fault or something is blocking the connection.

Also with the ipconfig read out, it may be helpful if you can post an actual screen shot with the ipconfig fully expanded. I need to see how many of those tunnel adaptors you have there. It looks like you aren't getting any from the router for your wired connection.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #6
chitoh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

What I had posted earlier in the ipconfig readout is all that's there but for both of the tunnel adapters that are showing up, they both say DHCP is not enabled.

First part..............................................................................................Se cond Part


Attached Thumbnails
Ethernet Connection Unresponsive-first-part.png   Ethernet Connection Unresponsive-second-part.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

From what I'm seeing there both the wireless and the wired connection are now online. The DHCP = NO is correct for the tunnel adaptor, nothing to worry about there.

I'm not sure why but Windows seems to be allowing both connections to be active where usually it will choose the wired connection over the wireless if both are active.

I'm not sure why two DNS servers are still showing up, it should only show the default gateway which points to the router as the DNS server. You should check that setting in your routers set up page.

You should disable the wireless connection if you want to use the wired connection, the wired connection should be working at this point according to your ipconfig?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #8
chitoh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Just tried disconnecting wireless to see if the problem had been resolved. Still shows no Internet access. Do you think it could be a problem with the router? I'm using a actiones router from verizon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #9
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chitoh View Post
Just tried disconnecting wireless to see if the problem had been resolved. Still shows no Internet access. Do you think it could be a problem with the router? I'm using a actiones router from verizon.
It could be a problem with the router.

Resetting the router seems to have fixed the problem according to your ipconfig which shows the wired connection as working.

If it's still not online with the wired connection try saving the file below, unzip and click on the file and let it run, your system will reboot. This should fix any problems related to the network stack or winsock.


Attached Files
File Type: zip IPResetALL.zip (33.6 KB, 15 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Ethernet Connection Unresponsive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External HDD Connection via ethernet
Hi.I have an external 500GB HDD fitted to a caddy connected to the computer via USB also mains powered. Is there any way that I can convert this item so that I can connect it to my router via an Ethernet cable,If so is it going to cost me an arm and leg or would I be better off getting a proper...
Hardware & Devices
Ethernet hub connection works only one way
I have two PCs. One (PC A) with 7 Ultimate and the other (PC B) with 7 Pro. PC B can connect with PC A and access all files. PC A can see PC B in Windows Explorer Network but can not access any files. The diagnostics of PC A says it is correct and there is a problem with PC B but does not...
Network & Sharing
Having trouble with ethernet connection.
I just built a computer for the first time. And everything is going fine. Except for the ethernet. When i try to connect the modem to the new computer, it says it cannot detect an ethernet adapter. Any ideas would be helpful.
Network & Sharing
Ethernet Connection Problem - Help please
Okay, so my Sony Vaio (Fseries) is having troubles when an ethernet cord is plugged in. Naturally I use a hardline to game and just recently, it seems that my computer recognizes that I am connected via ethernet but cannot use the internet connection. I've tried to fix it. I'd appreciate any...
Network & Sharing
Direct connection (Gb ethernet) help
Hi guys, I'm having a little trouble getting a direct connection working between my 2 machines. Here's the setup: Router 100mbs 1st machine: 2 x Gb ethernet onboard First connected to router at 100mbs (DHCP) other direct connected to second machine (Static assigned IP) Windows 7 Pro x64
Network & Sharing
Ethernet Connection
Hi Folks. I can see all my dial up as well as my wireless connections in my Internet access section. However, my Ethernet connections are not shown there unless I'm connected with no option to turn them on or off. I added a shortcut to my desktop so not a big thing but I would like to have all my...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App