Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot connect to my wireless laptop from my ethernet PC (vice versa)


10 May 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Cannot connect to my wireless laptop from my ethernet PC (vice versa)

Greetings,

I have a PC (windows 7) connected to my router (Buffalo AirStation WMBR-HP-GN) via Ethernet cable, while my laptop (Vista) and a 2nd PC (Vista) are using wireless. My Ethernet PC cannot see the laptop or the wireless PC in Network. Both the laptop and wireless PC can see and share with each other. If I use an Ethernet cable for the laptop, I can share with my Ethernet PC.

In short, I can share wireless to wireless, Ethernet to Ethernet, but not Wireless to Ethernet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 May 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eastwood001 View Post
Greetings,

I have a PC (windows 7) connected to my router (Buffalo AirStation WMBR-HP-GN) via Ethernet cable, while my laptop (Vista) and a 2nd PC (Vista) are using wireless. My Ethernet PC cannot see the laptop or the wireless PC in Network. Both the laptop and wireless PC can see and share with each other. If I use an Ethernet cable for the laptop, I can share with my Ethernet PC.

In short, I can share wireless to wireless, Ethernet to Ethernet, but not Wireless to Ethernet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I would try resetting the router first as it's clearly a problem with the router.

If that doesn't work please post a screen shot of your ipconfig/all from both a wired and wireless machine and I'll see what's up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Tried resetting router, didn't change anything.

Wired machine:
Code:
Wireless machine:
Code:
Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 May 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eastwood001 View Post
Tried resetting router, didn't change anything.

Wired machine:
Code:
Wireless machine:
Code:
Thanks.
I believe that I've spotted a problem with the wireless machine, it's a common problem with too many tunnel adaptors. Save the first file below, unzip and click on it, will take a second to run, then reboot your machine.

After that run the second file the same way, let it run until the machine reboots. You might want to update the wireless machines driver after that.


Attached Files
File Type: zip 6to4remover.zip (455.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: zip IPResetALL.zip (33.6 KB, 46 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thanks for your help, but other then cleaning out all those tunnel adapters, it doesn't seem to have done much. Still can't share from wired to wireless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eastwood001 View Post
Thanks for your help, but other then cleaning out all those tunnel adapters, it doesn't seem to have done much. Still can't share from wired to wireless.
So your haven't set up a Homegroup I presume because it won't work right in a mixed OP system network. So I assume you set up a workgroup using the same workgroup name on all networked machines?

And the Buffalo router is both a wired and wireless router, in the routers set up page for wireless are you using WPA2 security with AES encryption. They are both made to work with wireless N.

If you made any changes to the routers wireless settings be sure and make the same changes to the wireless profiles in Windows.

From what I've read about this router, it's actually one of those modem router combo unit's and the reviews mention updating the firmware to the tomato DD wrt firmware, so at this point I'd have to say the router is the source of the problem if other advice doesn't work.

I looked around and the link below describes the problem you are having with some possible solutions.

One says: If you have a setting like "AP Isolation" or "Client Isolation" make sure that its set to off. Read down to the bottom as the problem looks to be fairly typical but with no clear resolution. Maybe that setting will help.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wir...her/td-p/33659
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

It is working now. I'm not really sure what fixed it, but I updated all my drivers using Driver Reviver. Also messed with some router settings.

Thanks for your assistance Chev.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eastwood001 View Post
It is working now. I'm not really sure what fixed it, but I updated all my drivers using Driver Reviver. Also messed with some router settings.

Thanks for your assistance Chev.
Yes according to that link making changes to the routers settings fixed the problem for some people so I'm glad that worked out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot connect to my wireless laptop from my ethernet PC (vice versa)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cannot connect to my wireless laptop from my ethernet PC (vice versa)
Thread Forum
Laptop cant connect wireless, only ethernet. Network & Sharing
Laptop Connects to Ethernet, Won't Connect to Wireless Network & Sharing
Copying files from desktop to laptop and vice versa? Network & Sharing
How to convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa? Software
Can connect to laptop from desktop, but not vice versa... Network & Sharing
Win7 PC Can't Access Files on Win7 Wireless Laptop and Vice Versa Network & Sharing
Connect with windows xp to windows 7 and vice versa? Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33