Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 Pro can't join SBS Server 2003 domain

16 May 2012   #1
Elaguila

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Win 7 Pro can't join SBS Server 2003 domain

My client has a small domain with SBS server 2003. The server connects to a router which connects to the DSL modem. On the router, dhcp is disabled. The server is a dns server and dhcp is running. All of the client PC's are windows XP and were able to join the domain with no issues. One of the client PC's had to be replaced. The replacement came with windows 7 pro x64 installed.
From the windows 7 PC I can see the other PC's on the network, can see the server, can access the shares on the server, and remote into the server. I can also ping the dns server. There are 2 ways to join the domain. The first one used a wizard on the windows 7 PC. When I go thru the wizard it tells me that there is no account on the domain controller for the PC. If I do it manually it tells me the dns couldn't find the controller. The dns server is the domain controller. I have also tried using a static IP like the XP machines have and got the same problems. I have also created the computer account on the server manually
The server has sp2 installed. I have looked on the net and found some different solutions like making changed to the local security policy but none of those have worked. I am stumped. Anybody know of a solution?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2012   #2
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums,

Please see attached file and make sure that in Computer Name/Domain Changes, then click on More...that you have the correct domain name under 'Primary DNS suffix of this computer' - for example company.local.

Try setting it up to Static IP again and verify that from the Windows 7 LAN setting the DNS is pointing to the Server's DNS which is a Private IP and not an external IP then change it back to DHCP. Try manually connecting to your domain again.

An update will be nice.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #3
Elaguila

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

I tried going to a static ip and then back to the dhcp. I manually put in the ip address of the dns server which is the sbs 2003 server. The dns suffix is there. I still can't join the domain. When using the network id button and using the wizard it tells me there is no computer account in the domain for this computer. When using the Change button and doing it manually it tells me that the dns can't find the domain controller. Really frustrated to the point that I was going to try installing XP on this machine but it kept hanging and I don't think it is compatible with this hardware anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 May 2012   #4
event3horizon

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

is NETbios over tcp/ip enabled?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #5
Elaguila

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Yes it is enabled
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Elaguila View Post
My client has a small domain with SBS server 2003. The server connects to a router which connects to the DSL modem. On the router, dhcp is disabled. The server is a dns server and dhcp is running. All of the client PC's are windows XP and were able to join the domain with no issues. One of the client PC's had to be replaced. The replacement came with windows 7 pro x64 installed.
From the windows 7 PC I can see the other PC's on the network, can see the server, can access the shares on the server, and remote into the server. I can also ping the dns server. There are 2 ways to join the domain. The first one used a wizard on the windows 7 PC. When I go thru the wizard it tells me that there is no account on the domain controller for the PC. If I do it manually it tells me the dns couldn't find the controller. The dns server is the domain controller. I have also tried using a static IP like the XP machines have and got the same problems. I have also created the computer account on the server manually
The server has sp2 installed. I have looked on the net and found some different solutions like making changed to the local security policy but none of those have worked. I am stumped. Anybody know of a solution?
This should allow to join from the Windows 7 PC. Disabling the 128 bit encryption is usually required.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy

Local Policies - Security Options



Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
0 Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

Here are all the different levels of NTLM security.
0) Send LM & NTLM responses
1) Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
2) Send NTLM response only
3) Send NTLMv2 response only
4) Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM
5) Send NTLMv2 response only. Refuse LM & NTLM




I also heard that using the same DNS as the server may help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2012   #7
2xg
Microsoft MVP

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

In addition....make sure that you have properly configured the DNS forwarders from your Server's DNS Manager.
Configure a DNS Server to Use Forwarders

Also, from my previous post, I didn't get an answer:
Quote:
verify that from the Windows 7 LAN setting the DNS is pointing to the Server's DNS which is a Private IP and not an external IP
Please give us another update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2012   #8
Elaguila

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

The 128 encryption is disabled. The checked the dhcp console on the server and it is giving the pc an ip address and I can ping the server from the pc. I am stumped at this point. I also noticed there is another thread with a similar issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2012   #9
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Elaguila View Post
The 128 encryption is disabled. The checked the dhcp console on the server and it is giving the pc an ip address and I can ping the server from the pc. I am stumped at this point. I also noticed there is another thread with a similar issue.
Lots of people with issues here, I'm not sure what the problem is but the adjustments I posted have helped many to fix this problem. The link below talks about the problem with a few other possible solutions.

[Solved] Windows 7 and Samba Issue - windows-7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2012   #10
Elaguila

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Thanks for the link. I will look thru that thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 Pro can't join SBS Server 2003 domain




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
windows 7 not joining 2003 domain server
windows 7 not joining 2003standard domain server. windows xp is not giving any problems..tried changing DNS settings and done windows update, but problem not resolved.
General Discussion
Connecting Windows 7 to Windows Server 2003 Domain.
Hi there, I am testing some of our computers on our school system and got to the stage of joining it to our domain. They joined fine but the domain had never been connected to vista or windows 7 so it tried to upgrade itself. This crashed the server because it only had permission to change the...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 unable to Join 2003 Domain, offline Join erro
Hello to all, I have a Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 Every time I try to join the 2003 server Domain, I got the error attached in the post. Im not trying to do a offline joint, the W7 can ping the domain IP, and can resolve the domain name. I hope anyone can help me...
Network & Sharing
Join Win 7 to 2003 Domain
Can you join window 7 to a server 2003 domain?
Network & Sharing
Windows 7, 2003 Server Domain, Local Permission
I have just set up a computer with Windows 7, and I'm apparently missing something simple, but I just can't find it. I installed Windows 7 on the machine and everything works great. I then joined the computer to a 2003 Server domain. Everything still appeared to work fine. However, when I log...
Network & Sharing
Cannot join the domain with Windows 2008 Server
I am trying to connect Windows 7 to the domain of a Windows 2008 Server. We have ~20 other Windows XP clients able to join and connect to the domain. I get this error message when trying to join the domain: An attempt to resolve the dns name of a domain controller in the domain being joined has...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App