Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder


04 Jun 2012   #1
TychoPsycho

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder

Hello, I'm having an issue sharing folders between two computers both running windows 7. The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible. It gives me a 'no permission to access this file, contact a network administrator' error message. I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone. In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on, password protected sharing off, I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem. Homesharing does not work between these computers either, They see each other but will not open any folders. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next, I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls, I made sure that they were on the same workgroup. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2012   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TychoPsycho View Post
Hello, I'm having an issue sharing folders between two computers both running windows 7. The computers see each other on the network and the Public folder is accessible but when I try to share a folder from another user account the folder shows up on the network but is not accessible. It gives me a 'no permission to access this file, contact a network administrator' error message. I have set the permissions of the file to allow full read and write for everyone. In advanced sharing settings in the Network and Sharing center I have file sharing on, password protected sharing off, I've tried both encryption settings without any effect and I've also tried turning password protected sharing on which doesn't fix the problem. Homesharing does not work between these computers either, They see each other but will not open any folders. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next, I've tested disabling all of my antivirus and firewalls, I made sure that they were on the same workgroup. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you.
You might try going into the Security Tab of the folder you want to share. With the security tab open hit the "Add" button, then next window hit the "Edit" button then add "Everyone" to the access list, hit ok then apply then apply again on the security window.
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
Alternatively, you could try setting up a Homegroup on these machines and use the Homegroup folders to share with. It's really much easier than the tutorials make it look.

Homegroup - Create
Homegroup - Add Computer or Join
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2012   #3
TychoPsycho

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I've got a homegroup set up but it will not let me access any files like that either. I don't have access to the computer this evening so I'll have to check the security tab in the morning but I'm pretty sure I have that set properly too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2012   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TychoPsycho View Post
I've got a homegroup set up but it will not let me access any files like that either. I don't have access to the computer this evening so I'll have to check the security tab in the morning but I'm pretty sure I have that set properly too
I'm not sure what you mean when you saying sharing a file from another User Account?

The Homegroup folders that are shared by default are just the main User folders like, My Music, My Documents "requires adding a check mark", My Video's, and My Pictures, but if you need write permissions you need to add those by making adjustments using the Sharing tab.

Also when you set up a Homegroup the User folder from all Homegroup machines is shared by default but shows up under Network in Windows explorer.

If you don't have access after setting up the Homegroup then most likely which ever anti virus you have installed is probably causing the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2012   #5
TychoPsycho

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I tried disabling my antivirus and firewalls with no results. When I said that I was trying to share files from another user account I meant that, not using homegroup, when I go to the computer under network, in the user folder, only the Public folder is visible despite having shared files from the main account.

When I share folders other than the Public folder, they show up but are unable to be accessed because of insufficient permissions despite having set all the permissions as full read/write

The issue I have with homegroup is that when I click on My Documents or My Pictures or whatever in the folder of the shared computer, it never opens, it just sits there and I can click on it forever with nothing happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2012   #6
TychoPsycho

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

You might try going into the Security Tab of the folder you want to share. With the security tab open hit the "Add" button, then next window hit the "Edit" button then add "Everyone" to the access list, hit ok then apply then apply again on the security window.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
Thanks so much chev65, that fixed my issue
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2012   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TychoPsycho View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

You might try going into the Security Tab of the folder you want to share. With the security tab open hit the "Add" button, then next window hit the "Edit" button then add "Everyone" to the access list, hit ok then apply then apply again on the security window.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups
Thanks so much chev65, that fixed my issue
That usually does it though it's not the most secure way to share.

You can always just remove the Everyone entry if you want to secure the drive again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jun 2012   #8
TychoPsycho

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

It's on a private administrator network for thee development office of the school I work for so I dont think security will be a huge issue. Thanks again you were extremely helpful. I've given you a positive rep as a thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder
Thread Forum
Solved I can access network shared folder, but not subfolder, help please. Network & Sharing
Solved Folder Permissions - Access Denied Error Network & Sharing
Solved Shared folder access/permissions issue Network & Sharing
GP for permanently changing shared folder offline permissions? Network & Sharing
Is a folder shared by permissions or is an account / password needed Network & Sharing
Can't Access Shared Folder! Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App