Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: My MS Windows 7 Ultimate is Connected to Homegroup

11 Jun 2012   #1
Drumgilken

Windows XP Professional 64 bit
 
 
My MS Windows 7 Ultimate is Connected to Homegroup

Hello there,

I recently bought a used PC with MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit preinstalled. This had been set up and used by the previous owner, and connected to a Network/ Homegroup.

This is now causing me problems, as a lot of the folders and documents are PW protected,
"I think", and I cannot get access to these, due to "no permissions" I have a PST file which
I want to import, but, cannot do so, because of a permissions problem. Hope this makes sense?
Should I remove this Copy of MS Windows 7 Ultimate, and purchase a new copy, with it's own
serial key.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions or advice please.

Many thanks.

Drumgilken


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jun 2012   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Drumgilken View Post
Should I remove this Copy of MS Windows 7 Ultimate, and purchase a new copy, with it's own serial key.
Do you have any reason to believe that the current copy of Ultimate is counterfeit?

If it is not counterfeit, there is no reason to replace it.

Is it activated and do you have the 25 character Product Key?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2012   #3
Drumgilken

Windows XP Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Drumgilken View Post
Should I remove this Copy of MS Windows 7 Ultimate, and purchase a new copy, with it's own serial key.
Do you have any reason to believe that the current copy of Ultimate is counterfeit?

If it is not counterfeit, there is no reason to replace it.

Is it activated and do you have the 25 character Product Key?
Thank you for your reply. I'm quite happy that is is not counterfeit. I can see in
the System File that it shows up as Activated. I understand that it was on a Computer Network, which I was not part of, and I do not need to be networked.

Just the access permissions to folders and programs that's bugging me.

I have Installed MS Office Pro 2007 to give me all the Office Programs, email, etc.

This is where I am having the problems. Importing My PST Folder from My XP SP3. I have this PST folder on my Flash Drive, and installed on This Computer's "C" drive. But, when I try to Import into MS Outlook, I get the "Permissions" problem.

Once again, Many thanks.

Drumgilken.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Jun 2012   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Do you have the 25 character Product Key?

You will likely need it if you ever have to reinstall Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2012   #5
Drumgilken

Windows XP Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Do you have the 25 character Product Key?

You will likely need it if you ever have to reinstall Windows.
Hello Again,

I have a Product ID, but, it has 20 digits only 5 3(OEM) 7 5 and I
don't have any discs (for reinstallation or recovery purposes).

I have been warned about OEM versions in OS's. My understanding of OEM's
is limited.

Does this make any sense to you??

Many thanks.

Drumgilken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2012   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

The Product ID is NOT the same as the Product Key.

The OEM license means that you are legally entitled to reinstall Windows only onto a PC with the same motherboard you now have.

You can presumably reinstall to "factory" specifications by using a recovery partition on your hard drive or from a set of recovery discs that you can make via menus. If you reinstall this way, I think your new installation would activate automatically without you having to come up with that 25 character Product Key.

You could also download a Windows 7 Ultimate ISO from mydigitallife.info, burn it to a disk, and do a "clean install" from that disc. But if you use this method, I think you would have to provide that 25 character Product Key to activate.

You should be able to fish out the Product Key with software---or it may be on a Certificate Of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jun 2012   #7
Drumgilken

Windows XP Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
The Product ID is NOT the same as the Product Key.

The OEM license means that you are legally entitled to reinstall Windows only onto a PC with the same motherboard you now have.

You can presumably reinstall to "factory" specifications by using a recovery partition on your hard drive or from a set of recovery discs that you can make via menus. If you reinstall this way, I think your new installation would activate automatically without you having to come up with that 25 character Product Key.

You could also download a Windows 7 Ultimate ISO from mydigitallife.info, burn it to a disk, and do a "clean install" from that disc. But if you use this method, I think you would have to provide that 25 character Product Key to activate.

You should be able to fish out the Product Key with software---or it may be on a Certificate Of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the PC.
Hello Again,

Many thanks for your help today.

I downloaded a key finder program and I now have the 25 digit serial key. I had a look
on mydigitallife.info, and found it very informative. Will try and do a new installation very soon.

Thanks & Regards

Drumgilken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 My MS Windows 7 Ultimate is Connected to Homegroup




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Connected to Wireless network, but windows says Not connected
OK, so i am connected to my wireless network, but windows says that i am not connected
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Control Panel Homegroup not revealing Homegroup Password
I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I am trying to connect my laptop to my homegroup with the password for my homegroup, but my desktop will not reveal it. Is there any other place that I can find it? Thanks in advance for your help. theAdmiral
Network & Sharing
Homegroup/printing problem with a wirelessly connected computer
Hello all Please forgive my ignorance - I am as far removed from a computer expert as one can be. My wife and I both have Windows 7, and we are both connected to a Homegroup. A printer is connected to our router via a cable. My computer is also connected to the router via a cable. My...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup: Can you add files on a USB HDD connected to a router?
Homegroup: Can you add files on a USB HDD connected to a router? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. The USB HDD is a Western Digital 2 TB Usb 3, and I got it on a netgear router directly. I can see it on my network, but when I try to link directery's or files to the...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Ultimate "Not connected-No connections are available"
Recently, I decided to restart my computer because the installation of Fallout: New Vegas required it, once my computer booted back up, there was an X on the wireless icon and it would not detect any of the wireless networks around me. I have tried rolling back and updating my drivers but that did...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup won't stay connected.
I previously had similar issues with the beta builds of 7 with no real 100% resolution. And now I am having similar issues. I have Windows 7 Professional x64 on both my Desktop and Laptop but they seem to fight a little when it comes to the Homegroup. It worked PERFECTLY this morning, I was...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App