Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Updated Network Frustration & Question...

03 Sep 2009   #1
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 
Updated Network Frustration & Question...

I've found the solution to my network problem. In my other thread: ( Frustrating Network problem... ) I had a problem with an inconsistent ability to share between my desktop and my laptop. I can always get to my shares on my desktop from my laptop, but sometimes, I would not be able to access the shares on my laptop from my desktop. I have two other computers on the network, all running Windows 7 (3 computers running Ultimate, netbook running Pro). No problems with the other machines at all. All advanced sharing settings are set like this snip. If I change the laptop to "turn off password protected sharing" and "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers", I have no more problem. I guess the question is, why do the defaults work great on 3 machines but not my laptop? I kinda like that I have to enter user and password to access shares, but if it just won't work for my laptop, I'll forgo it.




Attached Thumbnails
-capture.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2009   #2
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
I've found the solution to my network problem. In my other thread: ( Frustrating Network problem... ) I had a problem with an inconsistent ability to share between my desktop and my laptop. I can always get to my shares on my desktop from my laptop, but sometimes, I would not be able to access the shares on my laptop from my desktop. I have two other computers on the network, all running Windows 7 (3 computers running Ultimate, netbook running Pro). No problems with the other machines at all. All advanced sharing settings are set like this snip. If I change the laptop to "turn off password protected sharing" and "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers", I have no more problem. I guess the question is, why do the defaults work great on 3 machines but not my laptop? I kinda like that I have to enter user and password to access shares, but if it just won't work for my laptop, I'll forgo it.
Hi Subsonic. I looked at the previous thread ... please clarify some things for me? I'm kinda dense sometimes and need the extra help?

Your 7 computers, all joined to the same "HomeGroup"?
Laptop wireless? Other computers wireless?
You are sharing the default "HomeGroup" folders?
Have you added any shared folders, manually?
How many "User" accounts on each computer? One Administrator, one or more User?
Do all "Users" have an account on all computers?

Your advanced sharing settings look OK, and I agree you should be able to allow "HomeGroup" to control sharing and should be able to use password protection.

Cheers!

Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2009   #3
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Hi Subsonic. I looked at the previous thread ... please clarify some things for me? I'm kinda dense sometimes and need the extra help?

Your 7 computers, all joined to the same "HomeGroup"?
Laptop wireless? Other computers wireless?
You are sharing the default "HomeGroup" folders?
Have you added any shared folders, manually?
How many "User" accounts on each computer? One Administrator, one or more User?
Do all "Users" have an account on all computers?

Your advanced sharing settings look OK, and I agree you should be able to allow "HomeGroup" to control sharing and should be able to use password protection.


Cheers!

Robert
All computers joined to Homegroup.
3 wireless, one cabled.
I'm sharing d and e drives.
Yes
Only one User account on each machine and it is and admin account.
No. Two machines use my name and password, the other two use my wifes. However, this doesn't seem to be a problem. I have no problem at all with the two machines that my wife uses. They network between my machines both directions flawlessly. The only trouble I have occasionally is between my desktop not being able to access my laptop shares.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Sep 2009   #4
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
I've found the solution to my network problem. In my other thread: ( Frustrating Network problem... ) I had a problem with an inconsistent ability to share between my desktop and my laptop. I can always get to my shares on my desktop from my laptop, but sometimes, I would not be able to access the shares on my laptop from my desktop. I have two other computers on the network, all running Windows 7 (3 computers running Ultimate, netbook running Pro). No problems with the other machines at all. All advanced sharing settings are set like this snip. If I change the laptop to "turn off password protected sharing" and "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers", I have no more problem. I guess the question is, why do the defaults work great on 3 machines but not my laptop? I kinda like that I have to enter user and password to access shares, but if it just won't work for my laptop, I'll forgo it.
You have to make sure that in the security tab (not share tab) of the folder you want to share, the "Authenticated User" is present.

It's needed when you use password protection.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2009   #5
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
You have to make sure that in the security tab (not share tab) of the folder you want to share, the "Authenticated User" is present.

It's needed when you use password protection.

Greetz
AHHHH, finally! Something I haven't tried! I'll give that a shot and let you know! THANKS.

I think that may have been the key! Seems to be working now with the password protection and let windows manage selections chosen! Thanks squonksc! I tried to rep you but I must have before cause it won't let me. I'll try again though!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2009   #6
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
AHHHH, finally! Something I haven't tried! I'll give that a shot and let you know! THANKS.

I think that may have been the key! Seems to be working now with the password protection and let windows manage selections chosen! Thanks squonksc! I tried to rep you but I must have before cause it won't let me. I'll try again though!
Glad to have been of service.

I am not aware of receiving rep from you, and as far as I can look back I don't see it. Wish there was a way to see the whole history.

But it's no biggie, I will patiently wait.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #7
Subsonic

Windows7 x64 7600 16385
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Glad to have been of service.

I am not aware of receiving rep from you, and as far as I can look back I don't see it. Wish there was a way to see the whole history.

But it's no biggie, I will patiently wait.
Very strange. I don't remember ever giving you rep before but when I hit the rep button, this is what I get.


Attached Thumbnails
-capture.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #8
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
Very strange. I don't remember ever giving you rep before but when I hit the rep button, this is what I get.
I get them too sometimes, even though I am 100% sure I haven't repped that person before.

When I do spread some rep around, it will work again.
Must be a bug.

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2009   #9
sebastian007

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Disable your guest account, then you can turn off password protect on sharing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Updated Network Frustration & Question...




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WLM language frustration
I am using Thunderbird but I find that it takes forever to load. I would very much like to use WLM instead because it loads like a flash. But there is frustration there also: namely that you have to set the default language before your start writing. My correspondence is mainly in English, Spanish...
Browsers & Mail
Drivers in question and can I make an updated disk
I have a disk that came with my mobo and it's drivers, however the drivers are out of date/ Is there a way to find out which drivers I need and make them in to a disk similar to the mobo on that I received. On the disk I have, I can choose to install the needed drivers by clicking ASUS install. Is...
Drivers
co-processor frustration.
I've been searching up and down, left and right, inside and outside the internet for anything to help with the co-processor problem. Nothing has worked. I have a Compaq Presario f700 laptop, AMD Turion 64x2, Nvidia GeForce 7000m/ nForce 610m. My chipset is nForce 560. motherboard is a quanta....
Drivers
BSOD Frustration
On a daily basis, I get the BSOD. It happens when I am on Facebook, playing games like Frontierville or Who Wants to be a Millionaire. It also happens when I am I am just surfing the internet. What's going on and how can I fix it???
BSOD Help and Support
WEI CPU Frustration
So I'm stuck at a 7.8 CPU score with an overclocked (4.00GHz) 980x. The only component that seems subpar is the encoding, e.g. <WinSPR> <CpuScore>7.8</CpuScore> <CPUSubAggScore>7.9</CPUSubAggScore> <VideoEncodeScore>7.7</VideoEncodeScore> </WinSPR>
Performance & Maintenance
frustration
I installed win7 home premium x64 the first time and it worked fine until i restarted the pc. It refused to boot. I tried all the repairs etc. After failing to reinstall 9 times I bought 2 brand new HDs. I am on my 14th attempt at installing. The new drives are totally unusable it seems. I am...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App