Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fast internet, slow download speeds

16 Jun 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 
Fast internet, slow download speeds

Hi there.

So today my friend and I, who live in the same country, was downloading this file. It was around 6GB, which is irrelevant, but yea. It was from the same site, we have the same internet, yet he was downloading with 2.6MB/s while I was downloading with 1.338MB/s and it stayed like that for the remaining 40 minutes. Didn't even move at one point, while his went from 2.1 to 2.6 over 10 minutes.
Worth noting, we use the same ISP, he only have 25/2 while I have 50/5, and I could easily download 2 files with the exact same speed (1.338MB/s each), but not 1 with 2.6MB/s or more. There's also a client downloader, for this game, where he again got 2.6+ whereas mine always stayed at an amazing 80-180kb/s. I tried disabling anti virus, firewall, Malwarebytes, nothing changed it. I know you're thinking it's just the seeds or site that is limited to an x number of download speed, but it really can't be the case in this. It happens with every site I try. It's always at 1.3xMB/s and never moves regardless of how good it is.
I honestly don't remember, but I don't think this happens when it's a .torrent file, using programs like uTorrent with good p2p. It happens in all browsers, and apparently game client downloaders.
I can download 5 different downloads at 1.3xMB/s using all of my available internet, but when it comes to a single file, it for some reason, is impossible.

A lot of rambling in this thread, I apologize.
I'm not complaining about the download speed, but it just seems like there's something wrong. My downloads also have a habit of failing in chrome after a few minutes, for no reason. That only happens from some sources though.

I hope some of this makes sense to someone because I am completely lost.
Any advice is welcome.

- Exi

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jun 2012   #2

 

there seems to be problems with Chrome, try using IE9....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exicuton View Post
It happens in all browsers
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DMHolt57 View Post
there seems to be problems with Chrome, try using IE9....
It's the same. Thank you though. (:

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Jun 2012   #4

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

What happens if you start 20 such downloads of the same file from the same site? Do they all stay in the 1.3 range? Do they all come from the same file server? Use the Windows 7 Resource Monitor to help you to figure out what server each download is coming from. See if you and your friend are hitting the same server. Even if you are, for files that large, it could be coming from several different servers configured as a server farm and appearing to the internet as one IP/server.

Ask your ISP if they offer a large file for speed testing? Usually such large files are kept on a server in each town that the ISP serves so that they can troubleshoot connectivity locally and then work their way out from there.

Maybe the problem is in your building or neighborhood.
Maybe you can find a speed test like this one:
PlanetFlow2 - PlanetLab's traffic monitoring system

happy hunting :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
What happens if you start 20 such downloads of the same file from the same site? Do they all stay in the 1.3 range? Do they all come from the same file server? Use the Windows 7 Resource Monitor to help you to figure out what server each download is coming from. See if you and your friend are hitting the same server. Even if you are, for files that large, it could be coming from several different servers configured as a server farm and appearing to the internet as one IP/server.

Ask your ISP if they offer a large file for speed testing? Usually such large files are kept on a server in each town that the ISP serves so that they can troubleshoot connectivity locally and then work their way out from there.

Maybe the problem is in your building or neighborhood.
Maybe you can find a speed test like this one:
PlanetFlow2 - PlanetLab's traffic monitoring system

happy hunting :-)
Thank you for the answer!

Well, if I start 20 downloads, they will download at 340Kb/s since my max download speed is 6.8Mb/s (50/5). It's not a problem to utilize my whole speed. Worth noting is that I managed to fix the problem in my browsers by running Auslogics Internet Optimizer, but it still didn't fix a few of the problems I have off browser, which annoys me. (Downloading through specific clients)
I am aware that they use a wide variety of servers for most websites that offer large downloads, but it really doesn't matter what server I end up on, my download is just generally low. It feels like it's being blocked for some reason. The highest it landed at was 3.5Mb/s, which is good, if it actually stayed there, but it just spiked for a second and then fell down to 800Kb/s. So if it can spike for a second, then in theory it should be able to stay there or at least closer to it. I just can't make sense of it. And according to resource manager we did download from the exact same server or subserver at one point. (Just tried open/closing the program until we hit the same)

They probably do yea, but it's not necessary at this point, since I fixed my browser downloads. Good idea though. I will remember it, since it's hard to find files with the size of a few GB to test it on.



I usually use sites like Speedtest.net since most others are located in the US where my Mbps will be compromised due to the far distance. But it didn't find any problems, that test. Not sure if it should or if it just tests the speed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #6

Windows 7 Home Pre
 
 

Try a Download from Nvidia. I had 50 meg once and would come down at 5.4mbs. Also your ISP may be capping your speed over long download spikes. I suggest you look at there T's and C's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exicuton View Post
Worth noting is that I managed to fix the problem in my browsers by running Auslogics Internet
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrdemon View Post
Try a Download from Nvidia. I had 50 meg once and would come down at 5.4mbs. Also your ISP may be capping your speed over long download spikes. I suggest you look at there T's and C's.
Thanks for answering! (:

I did actually read the T&C before posting here just to be sure and I definitely have no limits of how much or at what speeds I can download, besides the obvious 6.8Mb/s that my connection is capable of.
As you can see above I did manage to fix my browser downloading issues with Auslogics, so right now my problem is only off browser via download clients (not p2p or .torrent). Which is even more weird to me, since I have no idea what the issue could be.

- Exi
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #8

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exicuton View Post
...I usually use sites like Speedtest.net since...
Understood - which is why I was suggesting that you hunt for a local version of the test that I linked to. It is more than just a speed test.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Exicuton View Post
...I usually use sites like Speedtest.net since...
Understood - which is why I was suggesting that you hunt for a local version of the test that I linked to. It is more than just a speed test.
Well I don't really see the difference of the test being local or not, since it'll only affect the Mbps it shows, right? I mean the test didn't come up with any errors or problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2012   #10

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

You might be correct. I don't understand how the test checks what it claims to check.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fast internet, slow download speeds




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Fast internet, slow download speeds
Thread Forum
Fast connection to router but slow download speeds? Network & Sharing
Wireless speeds slow, but fast in safe mode? Network & Sharing
VERY slow download speeds Network & Sharing
Slow Download/Upload Speeds Network & Sharing
Slow download speeds Network & Sharing
Windows 7 very slow download speeds Network & Sharing
Slow Download Speeds Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33