Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 mounting network share (NAS) impossible

25 Jul 2012   #1

windows7 home 64bit
 
 
Win7 mounting network share (NAS) impossible

Hi,
I have a bit of a complicated problem.
I installed a NAS (Lacie) which is working great.
At least on both my Linux (ubuntu) computers.

On my Windows 7 laptop on the other hand it is a complete mess.
I can see the drive as media server kind of thing under network, but I'm not able to mount the drive at all...

I already stopped the function called windows media player network sharing service wmpnetwk, i entered a new key in the registry (Windows 7 – Cannot connect to network drive | Eureka!) but still nothing.

Any help? I'm not used to working in a windows environment, but is suppose mounting a network drive should be a basic tool anyway.

The mounts in Linux are done with sshfs...

please help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This usually requires that you change the lanman server parimeters in order to get Windows 7 to connect to certain types of NAS boxes and older servers.

The NAS box probably doesn't do NTLMv2. Try setting the Windows 7 machines to allow both NTLMv1 and NTLMv2.

This assumes that you have Windows 7 Ultimate, Enterprise or Pro.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy

Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Set to Send LM & NTLM responses only

Set the Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption


The screen shots below should be helpful. Notice how both "Require NTLMv2 session security" is unchecked as is "Require 128 bit encryption".

Reboot all machines after making the adjustment.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #3

windows7 home 64bit
 
 

Thanks for the fast reply.
The only problem is i'm running windows7 home premium.

Any solution for the home edition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Jul 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by il pepe View Post
Thanks for the fast reply.
The only problem is i'm running windows7 home premium.

Any solution for the home edition?
Yep that's a problem.

I believe you will need to edit the registry if you want this to work with HP.

Otherwise for connection to NAS boxes you need to use the higher editions of Windows 7.

To open the registry type regedit into the start/run box.

You will need to create the LmCompatibilityLevel key when you get to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Then set the value to 2.

What the values do with each different number in the link below.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc960646.aspx

It's also important that you reboot after making the adjustments in the registry.

If that doesn't work bypass the root and go straight to the share.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #5

windows7 home 64bit
 
 

Any help on changing the registry?
I don't know where to start?
I entered LMCompatibilityLevel with value 1 and 2, no succes...

It is actually quiet annoying this is almost impossible in windows7 home... I can't understand why this has to be so hard...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by il pepe View Post
Any help on changing the registry?
I don't know where to start?
I entered LMCompatibilityLevel with value 1 and 2, no succes...

It is actually quiet annoying this is almost impossible in windows7 home... I can't understand why this has to be so hard...
It's only difficult because you don't have the proper versions of Windows 7 for connecting to NAS boxes or servers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #7

windows7 home 64bit
 
 

Mayby so. But i would expect that for a modern OS, with growing intrest in networking/cloud support/... mapping a network drive would be a basic function.
Anyway, I still need some help for the registry changes....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by il pepe View Post
Mayby so. But i would expect that for a modern OS, with growing intrest in networking/cloud support/... mapping a network drive would be a basic function.
Anyway, I still need some help for the registry changes....
I put down everything I found for the registry adjustments and they are working for most who tried them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #9

windows7 home 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by il pepe View Post
Mayby so. But i would expect that for a modern OS, with growing intrest in networking/cloud support/... mapping a network drive would be a basic function.
Anyway, I still need some help for the registry changes....
I put down everything I found for the registry adjustments and they are working for most who tried them.
Sorry, I missed that part somehow. I will try it again, and hope it works now...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2012   #10

windows7 home 64bit
 
 

possibly a stupid question, but the LMCompabilityLevel, that should be a hexadecimal number, right?

No succes yet :-(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 mounting network share (NAS) impossible




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33