Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup best settings?

25 Jul 2012   #1
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Homegroup best settings?

Windows 7 professional 64 bit

What is the best settings to ensure searching for files is quick?

Currently when connecting to computer 2, the green bar that indicates it is searching for files within a folder takes AGES to reach the end.

Broadband Virgin Media 60Mb R36 firmware version


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2012   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Windows 7 professional 64 bit

What is the best settings to ensure searching for files is quick?

Currently when connecting to computer 2, the green bar that indicates it is searching for files within a folder takes AGES to reach the end.

Broadband Virgin Media 60Mb R36 firmware version
When you see that type of problem with the Homegroup you should leave the Homegroup on all machines in your network and recreate the Homegroup then rejoin from all machines.

If there are machines in your network other than Windows 7 or Windows 8 you should leave the Homegroup and use a Workgroup instead as Homegroups and Library's are only made to work with those machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2012   #3
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mangoh View Post
Windows 7 professional 64 bit

What is the best settings to ensure searching for files is quick?

Currently when connecting to computer 2, the green bar that indicates it is searching for files within a folder takes AGES to reach the end.

Broadband Virgin Media 60Mb R36 firmware version
When you see that type of problem with the Homegroup you should leave the Homegroup on all machines in your network and recreate the Homegroup then rejoin from all machines.

If there are machines in your network other than Windows 7 or Windows 8 you should leave the Homegroup and use a Workgroup instead as Homegroups and Library's are only made to work with those machines.
Alright thanks for your help

Leaving the homegroup and rejoining seems to have fixed the issue with slow speeds.

I did this before I made the thread but never made a difference at the time, I guess its one if those things!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


31 Jul 2012   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Yes I've seen that problem before, it's usually caused from the machine that created the Homegroup was removed from the system which Windows doesn't like.

Recreating the Homegroup from scratch always seems to fix the problem for me but you need to be very through about leaving the Homegroup from all machines which clears the old Homegroup credential cache.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2012   #5
mangoh

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Yes I've seen that problem before, it's usually caused from the machine that created the Homegroup was removed from the system which Windows doesn't like.

Recreating the Homegroup from scratch always seems to fix the problem for me but you need to be very through about leaving the Homegroup from all machines which clears the old Homegroup credential cache.
Okay advice understood

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup best settings?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't save changes to homegroup settings
Hello, I can't save changes to homegroup settings. When I try to share libraries and printers, printers is already checked, I check other options, like pictures, music, etc. I then click save changes and exit. The problem is when I go back in, it hasn't saved my settings - all the boxes except...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Control Panel Homegroup not revealing Homegroup Password
I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I am trying to connect my laptop to my homegroup with the password for my homegroup, but my desktop will not reveal it. Is there any other place that I can find it? Thanks in advance for your help. theAdmiral
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Home Premium Homegroup settings not accepting saved changes
My Windows 7 Home Premium Homegroup is not accepting my settings (stuck on its own settings). I'm able to go to my Homegroup settings and CHECK the boxes for sharing video, pictures, doc.s, and music yet, When I Click save changes, it closes-out the window and when I view Settings once more.. they...
Network & Sharing
Can't save homegroup settings. Help
Two build 7000 machines in my homegroup... One works fine and I can check/uncheck media to share in the homegroup. The laptop, however, is a different story. When I check a library to share in a home group (pictures, videos, music, etc) then click "save changes" nothing changes. When I can back...
General Discussion
Homegroup - Change File and Folder Sharing Settings
How to Change Windows 7 Homegroup File and Folder Sharing Settings When you create or join a homegroup, you select the libraries and printers you want to share with other people in the homegroup. Selected Libraries are set to be shared with Read only access by default, which means that you can...
Tutorials
HomeGroup Settings Shortcut - Create
How to Create a HomeGroup Settings Shortcut in Windows 7 This will show you how to create or download a Windows 7 HomeGroup Settings shortcut that opens to the Homegroup settings window. You can also Pin to Taskbar or Pin to Start Menu this shortcut, or move where you like for easy use. ...
Tutorials

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App