Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling WIN7


29 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling WIN7

Hello,
I've reinstalled Windows 7(Ultimate 64 bit), installed my wireless adapter driver but I can't connect to the internet, usually it doesn't find any network and when it does, it claims that it couldn't connect to the network.
If it matters, my wireless adapter is Edimax EW-7612UAn.
What should I do?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jul 2012   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Welcome aboard, KingKenny1

Place the driver CD in the DVD drive, right click on the computer icon on the desktop and Choose "manage" in the context menu. It will open the computer management window.

Click Device Manager > Expand Network Adapters > Right click on the result > Update driver software
Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling WIN7-1.jpg

In the resulting dialog, click on "browse my computer for driver software"
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  56.5 KB

The update procedure will find the appropriate driver and will install it properly.

Then, the network should be connected.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

First of all thanks for helping me.
Secondly, now it can connect to networks but it can't find my network(it finds only my neighbor's).
Before I reinstalled Windows it found my network so I guess it's not a problem with the adapter.
Is there any solution?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jul 2012   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KingKenny1 View Post
now it can connect to networks but it can't find my network(it finds only my neighbor's).
Con you contact with your Internet Service Provider ? Or make it sure that the router is on ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2012   #5

Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit; Windows 7 Professional 64Bit
 
 

Another thing to check-You have a wireless router and most of them require a user to log on using a security key. We use WPA2 and 20 digit keys. Without this you cannot connect to the internet. It does not matter if it is WPA or WEP-it is the key that is important. Your ISP can help with this. Also, if you have Verizon you will have to reset their settings using the Optimizer on their website.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KingKenny1 View Post
First of all thanks for helping me.
Secondly, now it can connect to networks but it can't find my network(it finds only my neighbor's).
Before I reinstalled Windows it found my network so I guess it's not a problem with the adapter.
Is there any solution?
Can you connect wired? Your wireless SSID is not listed but your neighbor's is?
Can another device (laptop,i-phone) device see the wireless router?

Was it always visible before?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2012   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 
If you're connected wirelessly.....

This....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jc836 View Post
Another thing to check-You have a wireless router and most of them require a user to log on using a security key. We use WPA2 and 20 digit keys. Without this you cannot connect to the internet. It does not matter if it is WPA or WEP-it is the key that is important. Your ISP can help with this. Also, if you have Verizon you will have to reset their settings using the Optimizer on their website.
Even though you say you're getting internet connection now, it is possible that you've latched onto someone's unsecureed network, and not yours.

That said, the above advice really needs to be looked into. You can check to see what network you're connected to by clicking the wireless icon in your system tray. If it shows you connected to any other network thant yours you have and issue and the advice given by jc needs to be followed, and it is also the reason you can't see your network.

Whether wirelessly or not.....

The other thing you need to do is make sure your router and PC are using the same "Workgroup" name. You do this by checking what your router has for a name and then making sure your PC is using the same name. If not change it....

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  42.2 KB

Click the network ID button and change the workgorup name. You'll need to restart the PC for it to take affect.

I'm not an expert in networking so others may have to chime in here if that doesn't work.

Good luck.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2012   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

The other thing you need to do is make sure your router and PC are using the same "Workgroup" name. You do this by checking what your router has for a name and then making sure your PC is using the same name. If not change it....

=>a router doesn't have a workgroup! And that part is irrelevant
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2012   #9

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
The other thing you need to do is make sure your router and PC are using the same "Workgroup" name. You do this by checking what your router has for a name and then making sure your PC is using the same name. If not change it....

=>a router doesn't have a workgroup! And that part is irrelevant
OK, I meant Domain Name. Which should be the same as the Workgroup name on the PC.

"If" you have a domain name in the router, you want that name in the workgroup of the PC or else you won't see your network. At least that's how it works on my router.

Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling WIN7-capture.jpg

Perhaps explaining why you disagree would be more.... helpful?... instead of playing with exclamation points!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
The other thing you need to do is make sure your router and PC are using the same "Workgroup" name. You do this by checking what your router has for a name and then making sure your PC is using the same name. If not change it....

=>a router doesn't have a workgroup! And that part is irrelevant
OK, I meant Domain Name. Which should be the same as the Workgroup name on the PC.

"If" you have a domain name in the router, you want that name in the workgroup of the PC or else you won't see your network. At least that's how it works on my router.

Attachment 223949

Perhaps explaining why you disagree would be more.... helpful?... instead of playing with exclamation points!
Domain Name is the domain suffix that you see as well in ipconfig/all.
Assume the "Domain name" is testdomain

ping somename.testdomain
ping somename
ping ip-address-of-somename

They are all the same. Sorry I used exclamation marks, didn't want to be rude.
It's difficult to explain everything. Talking too much about technical stuff just confuses most OP's. Most posters just want their problem to be solved.
Have a great time mate
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't connect to the internet after reinstalling WIN7




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33