Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: IPv6 Playtime?

31 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 
IPv6 Playtime?

Hi,

Well all know we're gonna have to get familiar with it, live with it, and love it. But that doesn't bother me much because there seems to be a couple of benefits coming from it, such as static IP's and a slight increase in security and i even heard it may increase speed just a tad cause there wouldn't be a use for DNS anymore. Correct me if i'm wrong... but it sure sounds fun!

So what i want to know ... is it possible to set certain things up to be able to use ipv6 without conflict? I just check mail, play starcraft 2, diablo 3, and thats pretty much it.

I also read that i had to ensure that my ISP (TimeWarnerCable) must be able to support it as well... So is this the type of situation where both my ISP and the application have to be compliant?

Thanks in advance for ya'lls input.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Jul 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

I'll refer you to this earlier discussion about IPv4 and IPv6. The article I referenced in my post #2 has a lot of info concerning the changeover. Bottom line is your ISP must support IPv6.

IPv6 to replace IPv4?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
I'll refer you to this earlier discussion about IPv4 and IPv6. The article I referenced in my post #2 has a lot of info concerning the changeover. Bottom line is your ISP must support IPv6.

IPv6 to replace IPv4?
Yea i called TWC the same day i posted. They don't use it yet. Businesses only.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Aug 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

I've got AT&T and they say it will probably be a year or more before they make IPv6 available to us lowly civilians. Businesses will get it first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
I've got AT&T and they say it will probably be a year or more before they make IPv6 available to us lowly civilians. Businesses will get it first.
That sucks. I don't wanna pay extra for static IP. I want to use IPv6 and see what it's capable of. Of course that means the networking portion of sevenforums will be extremely busy on that day, lol.

No more DNS? That seems awesome. I wonder if that will have a negative or positive effect on security? Im guessing a positive effect.

Oh and correct me if i'm wrong... but wont the format for the IP addresses stay the same for IPv6? Only 6 octets instead of 4? Or will it look completely different? You dont have to answer that i'm just curious.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

IPv6 addresses will be denoted by eight groups of hexadecimal quartets separated by colons in between them. Example:

2001:cdba:0000:0000:0000:0000:3257:9652

Any four-digit group of zeroes within an IPv6 address may be reduced to a single zero or altogether omitted. Therefore, the following IPv6 addresses are similar and equally valid:

2001:cdba:0000:0000:0000:0000:3257:9652
2001:cdba:0:0:0:0:3257:9652
2001:cdba::3257:9652

Source
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by marsmimar View Post
IPv6 addresses will be denoted by eight groups of hexadecimal quartets separated by colons in between them. Example:

2001:cdba:0000:0000:0000:0000:3257:9652

Any four-digit group of zeroes within an IPv6 address may be reduced to a single zero or altogether omitted. Therefore, the following IPv6 addresses are similar and equally valid:

2001:cdba:0000:0000:0000:0000:3257:9652
2001:cdba:0:0:0:0:3257:9652
2001:cdba::3257:9652

Source
Right i get it... pretty much because the 0's don't mean anything so you can leave all of them out except one. Makes sense... unless i'm wrong haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, BackTrack Linux 5 R2, Windows XP
 
 

DNS will absolutely still be necessary for IPv6, if not moreso than before! Those numbers must be translated to names for our human brains to remember them!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doubled822 View Post
DNS will absolutely still be necessary for IPv6, if not moreso than before! Those numbers must be translated to names for our human brains to remember them!
Was wondering how they would resolve that once i started thinking about it lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 IPv6 Playtime?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: IPv6 Playtime?
Thread Forum
Why am I not using IPv6? Network & Sharing
3 things to know about IPv6 as World IPv6 Day approaches News
IPv6 Network & Sharing
VPN in Win 7 via ipv6 Network & Sharing
IPv6 Network & Sharing
Getting BSOD after 5 min playtime on BFBC2. BSOD Help and Support
IPv6 Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33