Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Two router settings causing IP conflict?


04 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 
Two router settings causing IP conflict?

Hi folks,

Difficult to explain this. Really hope you can help because I've spent this afternoon on the phone with the Talk Talk helpline and they've done no good except tell me I'll get a new free router through the post in 5 - 10 working days. They seem to think when I let windows update the router's drivers it has messed something up in there. Below is my problem, described as best I can. If you need more info/clarification please ask.

Somehow in my Network I can sometimes see one or another router names/icons. This is not wireless, this is LAN. It seems the PC has somehow two sets of settings in the router and it is causing some kind of conflict. I do get sometimes a msg in Windows saying an IP conflict has been detected.

Now, I have a Huawei HG521 router. Sometimes this shows in Network and sometimes it shows DSL-2780. When I click to view its webpage it asks for login details and then over the top it asks for log in details of the other phantom router too (the DSL-2780 one).

I am at a loss here. I have tried resetting the router but it makes no difference. Somehow two sets of details seems to have got stuck in the router and I don't know how to stop computer from trying to connect with both, besides a fresh Windows 7 install! The end result of all this is my broadband keeps dropping so I can't even watch YouTube if I wanted to, and my speed is at 0.5meg!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Aug 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Have you tried renewing the IP or flushing the DNS or resetting winsock or resetting the TCP/IP stack?

Windows can't update the router's drivers because router's use their own firmware for this.

The file below will reset everything as described in the first sentence, just save the file, unzip and run the file, your machine will reboot automatically.

I can't say if this will have the desired effect as I've never heard of a problem quite like yours but it won't hurt anything to try.


Attached Files
File Type: zip IPResetALL.zip (33.6 KB, 35 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 

Hi,

I already had tried DNS flush and Ipconfig all/release/renew commands. No change with that. Haven't tried resetting winsock or resetting the TCP/IP stack. I did try to run that file you posted before I turned the PC off last night. I wondered why it hadn't restarted my machine but thought maybe it had crashed or something so I turned PC off and went to bed. Only realised when turned PC back on today that Bitdefender had blocked it thinking it was malicious. It was on my list of things to try next when I decided to try turning off wireless at the router. (I run a dongle for wireless on my aging PC.) Well, my connection is stable and maxed out speed wise right now. I have turned off wireless and am only using via LAN. It isn't ideal but at least I know the problem is with the wireless causing a conflict somehow. Usually my connection would have dropped by now but it is stable so I can only assume turning wireless off did that.

Oh, actually, now I come to think of it, I also uninstalled the Nvidia Network Adapter at that point too. I suppose really it could be either of the two things. I will look more into it after work tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Aug 2012   #4

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 

Following on from above, this hasn't resolved the issue. I am still getting the rogue DSL-2780 router showing in Networks. Both it and the HG521 are trying to use the same IP address for the router settings. So when I try to log in I sometimes get the Huawei HG521 screen and other times I get the D-Link. One asks for Admin passwords and then over the top comes a pop up again asking for log in details again, even though I've typed them in once. I will try and get some screenshots. It is very weird getting this over LAN only. Somehow the router has got confused. Both router homepages have my User and Pass words in them, but the DSL-2780 shows a different SSID in the greyed out wireless box (because I've turned it off).

The problem I'm pretty sure is in the router itself. I think it has two configurations in there. I did allow Windows to go off and update the router drivers and I think this is where the problem originated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richt48 View Post
Following on from above, this hasn't resolved the issue. I am still getting the rogue DSL-2780 router showing in Networks. Both it and the HG521 are trying to use the same IP address for the router settings. So when I try to log in I sometimes get the Huawei HG521 screen and other times I get the D-Link. One asks for Admin passwords and then over the top comes a pop up again asking for log in details again, even though I've typed them in once. I will try and get some screenshots. It is very weird getting this over LAN only. Somehow the router has got confused. Both router homepages have my User and Pass words in them, but the DSL-2780 shows a different SSID in the greyed out wireless box (because I've turned it off).

The problem I'm pretty sure is in the router itself. I think it has two configurations in there. I did allow Windows to go off and update the router drivers and I think this is where the problem originated.
As I mentioned earlier Windows is incapable of updating the routers firmware. That has to be done from inside the routers set up page using the router's own firmware. There are no Windows drivers that can do that.

You might try downloading and installing the latest firmware for your router as the current firmware appears to be corrupted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #6

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 

My ISP sent me a new router... a DSL-2780. Lol. If you read my posts above you can see that this is the type of router that was appearing as a phantom in Networks when it should have been picking up the HG521 I was using. So, the HG521 is in the bin and I have a DSL-2780 plugged in now. This is better in that now in Networks what Windows sees is the right type of router. Unfortunately, I am still getting a slow and then fast connection, and still Windows pops up messages about an IP conflict. So the problem has to be in Windows somewhere. The router is completely new.

I'm thinking I'll just re-install Windows, it's gotta be easier than this!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richt48 View Post
My ISP sent me a new router... a DSL-2780. Lol. If you read my posts above you can see that this is the type of router that was appearing as a phantom in Networks when it should have been picking up the HG521 I was using. So, the HG521 is in the bin and I have a DSL-2780 plugged in now. This is better in that now in Networks what Windows sees is the right type of router. Unfortunately, I am still getting a slow and then fast connection, and still Windows pops up messages about an IP conflict. So the problem has to be in Windows somewhere. The router is completely new.

I'm thinking I'll just re-install Windows, it's gotta be easier than this!

This happened to me as well New Router by ISP means ISP needs to Disable the other IS

conflict of service Cox had me under two accounts but never activated the account that was supposed to be mine

in the end Cox had to sort out my issue on there end so i suggest calling your ISP and have them look on there end what is going on from there im sure they can sort it out

They simply switch my router to the right connection because they had my router locked on the old connection
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #8

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 
Thanks

Right, this does sound a distinct possibility. I will call the ISP (Talk Talk in the UK) tomorrow. I'll post back if this fixes the issue. Thanks for the info!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richt48 View Post
Right, this does sound a distinct possibility. I will call the ISP (Talk Talk in the UK) tomorrow. I'll post back if this fixes the issue. Thanks for the info!
No problem good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2012   #10

Windows 7 Enterprise 64b
 
 

Called my ISP about this. Told them what was mentioned above about a conflict of service. The guy didn't think it could happen and dismissed the idea. I did mention it again at the end of the conversation and they will send out an engineer to check my line. In the meanwhile they are... sending me another new router!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Two router settings causing IP conflict?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Two router settings causing IP conflict?
Thread Forum
Wireless router causing wired computers to lose connection. Network & Sharing
Memory Conflict causing BSOD BSOD Help and Support
GTX 460 + AMD 770 Chipset causing conflict? Graphic Cards
conflict causing hard reboot? Graphic Cards
Double network type causing conflict Network & Sharing
Wired cable modem and wireless router conflict Network & Sharing
USB Wireless Causing Conflict Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33