OK, up until a few days ago I had no issues accessing shared folders on a XP desktop from my Win 7 Laptop. Now I get prompted for a userid and password, but it specifies the laptop credentials. ie if desktop name is DESKTOP and laptop name is LAPTOP, I get prompted to enter the login credentials for LAPTOP\USER when trying to access shares on DESKTOP.
- Both computers have identical userids and passwords
- I have tried many things including disabling firewalls, redoing network settings, syncing time and time zones from dozens of posts
- I can access shares on the Windows 7 LAPTOP from the XP DESKTOP with no problem
- I can see the DESKTOP computer in the network from the LAPTOP but any attempt to access it results in a "no permissions" or "bad userid and password" error
- Interestingly (only just now) I can access all shares on DESKTOP by using its IP address in rather than the computer name in the Explorer bar
- From the Win 7 PC I can access shares on my Ubuntu server and also a shared USB directly connected to my router, it is just the Win XP pc that I cannot seem to connect to with the computer name (ip address works)
- As I said, this worked a few days ago and the only thing I can think that might have changed is installing some updates on Win 7 pc.
- I have rebooted the routers and computers several times
- I am not trying to connect through Homegroup, I am trying to connect with through Work.
I have checked permissions but as I can connect with IP address it would appear that all that stuff is fine.
So with the latest development in using the IP address I am no longer stuck but I would still like to know what has caused this problem and get it fixed.
Any help would be appreciated