Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless driver on SAMSUNG LAPTOP not working

17 Aug 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 62bit
 
 
atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless driver on SAMSUNG LAPTOP not working

Hey guys,

After reading a few other posts about similar topics, I thought that I'd try to create my own thread.

I just bought a Samsung laptop, Windows 7 i3 core processor, 6GB ram, with an atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless network adapter.

I have seen similar threads indicating the failure of this particular wireless network adapter, and another guy took his laptop back to the store to exchange it for another one.

Is this a SAMSUNG issue? The laptop is nice in all other aspects, however when playing games especially the problem is very clear.

When playing LOL, I've been getting "Attempting to reconnect" quite often, when playing Starcraft II, same problem, when I'm browsing the internet.. yep same deal... I've searched for driver updates, nothing has been found.

Should I just return the laptop? This seems like such a hassle for a brand new computer to be having such problems.

I have another ACER laptop which is quite inferior in comparison, however it always has a 5 bar connection, whereas the new SAMSUNG has 2 or 3 at best.

Hope someone out there is having a similar problem and has found a solution! Other than going back to the store and trying to explain the problem with an under-trained sales clerk at Futureshop who will most likely give me a VERY hard time...

Thanks in advance anyone that can help, I'm getting desperate...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2012   #2

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I have an Atheros AR9485 on my desktop board (not sure about any special designations). Those problems don't seem to be appearing with it.

Can I assume Samsung loaded the drivers for the device? In Device Manager, under the properties, Driver tab, Driver Details, I show it using athrx.sys and vwifibus.sys drivers, just so you can compare, since yours may be different.

I suppose there could be a situation with the antenna or the way it is implemented in the Samsung.. Can you access the device and check the antenna connections? Are you showing good signal strength
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

What's the model # of your Samsung laptop? I have an RV511 that's a year old using Intel wireless driver. When I go to Samsungs website to look up the drivers...there are 3 different brands....Intel, Atheros and Broadcom.

I haven't experienced anything like you're describing...you might want to look up your model # and check out what drivers are listed. If there is more than one, like I have, try the other ones and see if that doesn't fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Aug 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 62bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
I have an Atheros AR9485 on my desktop board (not sure about any special designations). Those problems don't seem to be appearing with it.

Can I assume Samsung loaded the drivers for the device? In Device Manager, under the properties, Driver tab, Driver Details, I show it using athrx.sys and vwifibus.sys drivers, just so you can compare, since yours may be different.

I suppose there could be a situation with the antenna or the way it is implemented in the Samsung.. Can you access the device and check the antenna connections? Are you showing good signal strength
I've checked the drivers, from the instructions you've provided, and I can only find mention of vwifibus, no .sys, can't find any description like that...

I will check the Samsung website for mention of athrx.sys, see what I can find...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 62bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
What's the model # of your Samsung laptop? I have an RV511 that's a year old using Intel wireless driver. When I go to Samsungs website to look up the drivers...there are 3 different brands....Intel, Atheros and Broadcom.

I haven't experienced anything like you're describing...you might want to look up your model # and check out what drivers are listed. If there is more than one, like I have, try the other ones and see if that doesn't fix it.
The model of my Samsung laptop is 300E5C-A02. I'll check the website and see what I can find
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

If you give us the exact make and model of your laptop...we can locate the drivers for you. I have a Samsung RV511 and with that I can go to samsungs website, plug in that information look for driver/support field, click that and then click drivers, and find all the drivers listed for that model.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
EXACT same position here

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grnbaron View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
What's the model # of your Samsung laptop? I have an RV511 that's a year old using Intel wireless driver. When I go to Samsungs website to look up the drivers...there are 3 different brands....Intel, Atheros and Broadcom.

I haven't experienced anything like you're describing...you might want to look up your model # and check out what drivers are listed. If there is more than one, like I have, try the other ones and see if that doesn't fix it.
The model of my Samsung laptop is 300E5C-A02. I'll check the website and see what I can find
This is an incredible coincidence, as I've got the exact same machine as the original poster (an NP300E5C-A02, bought less than 3 weeks ago) and the same problem. Even still got my old laptop (Acer!!) which is fine on my network. The Samsung will be fine and then intermittently becomes unable to connect to sites (while the Acer has no problem) even though the router signal strength is still fine. I've turned off all power-saving features on the network adapter in case they were the source of the problem, but nothing seems to help. The Windows 7 network diagnostics reset the adapter to fix the problem when I run them, but it's only temporary. Ironically, I've had to type this post on my old Acer, as the Samsung had a recurrence of the problem whilst I was trying to register on this site!

I am pretty quickly coming to the conclusion that I should return this laptop before the return time window closes (only 4 days left).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2012   #8

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aitchess View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grnbaron View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
What's the model # of your Samsung laptop? I have an RV511 that's a year old using Intel wireless driver. When I go to Samsungs website to look up the drivers...there are 3 different brands....Intel, Atheros and Broadcom.

I haven't experienced anything like you're describing...you might want to look up your model # and check out what drivers are listed. If there is more than one, like I have, try the other ones and see if that doesn't fix it.
The model of my Samsung laptop is 300E5C-A02. I'll check the website and see what I can find
This is an incredible coincidence, as I've got the exact same machine as the original poster (an NP300E5C-A02, bought less than 3 weeks ago) and the same problem. Even still got my old laptop (Acer!!) which is fine on my network. The Samsung will be fine and then intermittently becomes unable to connect to sites (while the Acer has no problem) even though the router signal strength is still fine. I've turned off all power-saving features on the network adapter in case they were the source of the problem, but nothing seems to help. The Windows 7 network diagnostics reset the adapter to fix the problem when I run them, but it's only temporary. Ironically, I've had to type this post on my old Acer, as the Samsung had a recurrence of the problem whilst I was trying to register on this site!

I am pretty quickly coming to the conclusion that I should return this laptop before the return time window closes (only 4 days left).
My friend, this seems not to be a coincidence at all! Dunno if this occurs with brands other than samsung, I got the same Atheros adapter in a samsung np300e5c and my problem is an all or none one... Signal level is 5/5 IF it connects, but every restart or awakening of the laptop seems a nightmare, sometimes it connects, sometimes not, and if not, then it's another half an hour of checking and restarting... VERY INFURIATING! I'm unfortunately out of the return time window.. Nevertheless, I seem to have pinned down the problem to the atheros driver... Which seems to be the latest... Atheros hardware existed in my previous machines without a glitch, so this may be an incompatibility issue which IMHO must be addressed either by atheros or by samsung... Say, do we have to install both the atheros and intel wireless drivers found on samsung support page? Is it me or you guys also see another version of each driver with (BBY) letters on the download page?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2012   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koskhandeh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Aitchess View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by grnbaron View Post

The model of my Samsung laptop is 300E5C-A02. I'll check the website and see what I can find
This is an incredible coincidence, as I've got the exact same machine as the original poster (an NP300E5C-A02, bought less than 3 weeks ago) and the same problem. Even still got my old laptop (Acer!!) which is fine on my network. The Samsung will be fine and then intermittently becomes unable to connect to sites (while the Acer has no problem) even though the router signal strength is still fine. I've turned off all power-saving features on the network adapter in case they were the source of the problem, but nothing seems to help. The Windows 7 network diagnostics reset the adapter to fix the problem when I run them, but it's only temporary. Ironically, I've had to type this post on my old Acer, as the Samsung had a recurrence of the problem whilst I was trying to register on this site!

I am pretty quickly coming to the conclusion that I should return this laptop before the return time window closes (only 4 days left).
My friend, this seems not to be a coincidence at all! Dunno if this occurs with brands other than samsung, I got the same Atheros adapter in a samsung np300e5c and my problem is an all or none one... Signal level is 5/5 IF it connects, but every restart or awakening of the laptop seems a nightmare, sometimes it connects, sometimes not, and if not, then it's another half an hour of checking and restarting... VERY INFURIATING! I'm unfortunately out of the return time window.. Nevertheless, I seem to have pinned down the problem to the atheros driver... Which seems to be the latest... Atheros hardware existed in my previous machines without a glitch, so this may be an incompatibility issue which IMHO must be addressed either by atheros or by samsung... Say, do we have to install both the atheros and intel wireless drivers found on samsung support page? Is it me or you guys also see another version of each driver with (BBY) letters on the download page?
Mine went back (a quick correction, re-reading my earlier post - it was an NP300E5C-A05 rather than A02, for the record) but I do remember that the driver was the most up-to-date one - there was also another driver residing on the system, something more generic by either Microsoft or Intel, but I never did get around to trying that out as I only noticed it after I had a return authorisation and wasn't even sure if it was intended for use with the hardware setup I had). I replaced the Samsung with a Lenovo Z580 with the same i5-3210M processor as the Samsung, which has an Atheros AR9285 if I remember correctly (it's not with me at the moment) - presumably an earlier model of adapter (Bluetooth is v3 rather than v4 for example) but this hasn't suffered any of the problems that the Samsung and its AR9485 did. Ironically enough, the Lenovo's instructions even show clearly how to swap out the wireless adapter if required - I hadn't realised how easy that is to do, or how tiny and cheap they are. So I guess that's always a last-ditch possible solution for your Samsung. I quite liked the Samsung, but I didn't get another one for two reasons: I suspected that other examples of this model would behave similarly, and above all I really couldn't get on with its touchpad, which was too small with a weird zone at the top that didn't register taps, only movements - and it had no way of adjusting the touchpad properties apart from the basics. That is of course an Elan touchpad issue rather than Samsung's fault, but I wish they hadn't chosen that model!. Whilst I was choosing a replacement, it led me to discover how difficult it is to find out what brand of touchpad is fitted to laptops - demo models in shops often have demonstration programs running that the staff can't/won't/don't know how to disable, and these block access to something as simple as checking the touchpad properties to find out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 atheros ar9485wb-eg wireless driver on SAMSUNG LAPTOP not working





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33