Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop connects to wireless router but with no internet access

19 Aug 2012   #21
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redeggs View Post
The problem is solved now, and I'm not really sure why! I tried resetting it one last time, and then my computer installed some random updates and the internet seems to function fine now. I'm a bit confused as to why it did this, considering I checked to see if I was missing any updates, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Thank you for the help.
It was most likely the reset IP file which sometimes takes two restarts in order to sort everything out, not to mention disabling the virtual miniport adaptor. Of course the second you went back online Windows tried to download updates as it usually does when the connection is working.

I doubt the problem just magically fixed itself...

I would still follow the instructions on changing the security and encryption for the wireless connection and I would definitely disable Bonjour in Windows services.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Aug 2012   #22
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redeggs View Post
The problem is solved now, and I'm not really sure why! I tried resetting it one last time, and then my computer installed some random updates and the internet seems to function fine now. I'm a bit confused as to why it did this, considering I checked to see if I was missing any updates, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Thank you for the help.
Hey mate, how did you sort it out?

What exactly did you do, I'm useless with computers and fear without help I'm buggered.
Nick, you should follow all instructions I previously gave, including disabling the Msoft virtual wifi miniport, running the reset file, and disabling Bonjour if you have iTunes installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #23
Nick F

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by redeggs View Post
The problem is solved now, and I'm not really sure why! I tried resetting it one last time, and then my computer installed some random updates and the internet seems to function fine now. I'm a bit confused as to why it did this, considering I checked to see if I was missing any updates, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Thank you for the help.
Hey mate, how did you sort it out?

What exactly did you do, I'm useless with computers and fear without help I'm buggered.
Nick, you should follow all instructions I previously gave, including disabling the Msoft virtual wifi miniport, running the reset file, and disabling Bonjour if you have iTunes installed.
Thanks for the advice Chev.

I have disabled the virtual wifi miniports and do not have Bonjour, however hopefully resetting it could be the answer.

Can I be cheeky and ask how I go about doing that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Aug 2012   #24
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post

Hey mate, how did you sort it out?

What exactly did you do, I'm useless with computers and fear without help I'm buggered.
Nick, you should follow all instructions I previously gave, including disabling the Msoft virtual wifi miniport, running the reset file, and disabling Bonjour if you have iTunes installed.
Thanks for the advice Chev.

I have disabled the virtual wifi miniports and do not have Bonjour, however hopefully resetting it could be the answer.

Can I be cheeky and ask how I go about doing that?
Just download and unzip the Reset IP file that I loaded earlier, run the file and your machine will reboot automatically. It may take a second reboot to fix problems.

It may help to go into your routers wireless settings and set to use the correct security and encryption as I suggested earlier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #25
Nick F

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

Nick, you should follow all instructions I previously gave, including disabling the Msoft virtual wifi miniport, running the reset file, and disabling Bonjour if you have iTunes installed.
Thanks for the advice Chev.

I have disabled the virtual wifi miniports and do not have Bonjour, however hopefully resetting it could be the answer.

Can I be cheeky and ask how I go about doing that?
Just download and unzip the Reset IP file that I loaded earlier, run the file and your machine will reboot automatically. It may take a second reboot to fix problems.

It may help to go into your routers wireless settings and set to use the correct security and encryption as I suggested earlier.
Right I've done all of the above and still no luck. The computer just restarts like normal.

Will system restore help me at all (will I lose anything)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #26
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post

Thanks for the advice Chev.

I have disabled the virtual wifi miniports and do not have Bonjour, however hopefully resetting it could be the answer.

Can I be cheeky and ask how I go about doing that?
Just download and unzip the Reset IP file that I loaded earlier, run the file and your machine will reboot automatically. It may take a second reboot to fix problems.

It may help to go into your routers wireless settings and set to use the correct security and encryption as I suggested earlier.
Right I've done all of the above and still no luck. The computer just restarts like normal.

Will system restore help me at all (will I lose anything)?
So did you disable BOTH of the Msoft virtual wifi miniport adaptors, you have two of them showing there in the ipconfig. You need to go into Device Manger for that.

Have you run any virus scan's lately?

Have you tried running the sfc/scannow command to check for any file corruption issues?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #27
mnemosyne23

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, service pack 1
 
 

Hello, all! Like NickF, I, too, am having the same problem regarding connecting to the internet. I've tried all of the troubleshooting as listed above, but I don't have a virtual wifi adapter on my laptop which I can disable.



Under Network Adapters I show the following:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN


And here's my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Melissa-laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-57-E6-3C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : NB1-DL.COM
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-0D-49-1D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6A-56-CF-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d007:b912:9892:5a13%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:32:14 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:32:15 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557930
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-94-98-90-00-26-B9-0D-49-1D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 156.154.119.11
156.154.129.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{076386FC-09E7-44A0-8A9E-5DA8ABB17BB5}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{367B9E21-DA6F-499C-9DBA-CD9127FA61DC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.NB1-DL.COM:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes



It stopped working out of the blue last night after literally years of no problems, and I'm flummoxed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #28
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mnemosyne23 View Post
Hello, all! Like NickF, I, too, am having the same problem regarding connecting to the internet. I've tried all of the troubleshooting as listed above, but I don't have a virtual wifi adapter on my laptop which I can disable.



Under Network Adapters I show the following:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN


And here's my ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Melissa-laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-57-E6-3C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : NB1-DL.COM
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-0D-49-1D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6A-56-CF-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d007:b912:9892:5a13%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:32:14 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:32:15 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557930
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-94-98-90-00-26-B9-0D-49-1D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 156.154.119.11
156.154.129.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{076386FC-09E7-44A0-8A9E-5DA8ABB17BB5}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{367B9E21-DA6F-499C-9DBA-CD9127FA61DC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.NB1-DL.COM:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes



It stopped working out of the blue last night after literally years of no problems, and I'm flummoxed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
In your case you should first uninstall all the 6 to 4 tunnel adaptors as it seems you have too many of them which can cause connection problems.

You can do it manually by going into Device Manager, top of page to "View" tab then choose "show hidden devices" look to Network Adaptors and uninstall all the tunnel adaptors you see there and reboot your system, a new one will be created automatically.

I also have a file that will do this for you automatically.


Attached Files
File Type: zip 6to4.zip (40.7 KB, 43 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #29
Nick F

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nick F View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

Just download and unzip the Reset IP file that I loaded earlier, run the file and your machine will reboot automatically. It may take a second reboot to fix problems.

It may help to go into your routers wireless settings and set to use the correct security and encryption as I suggested earlier.
Right I've done all of the above and still no luck. The computer just restarts like normal.

Will system restore help me at all (will I lose anything)?
So did you disable BOTH of the Msoft virtual wifi miniport adaptors, you have two of them showing there in the ipconfig. You need to go into Device Manger for that.

Have you run any virus scan's lately?

Have you tried running the sfc/scannow command to check for any file corruption issues?
I have indeed disabled both of them and am running a virus scan and the sfc /scannow.

Fingers crossed they'll shed more light on this. Any other ideas, while I'm waiting?

Again I really appreciate the help.

UPDATE: The scannow has found no integrity violations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2012   #30
mnemosyne23

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, service pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
In your case you should first uninstall all the 6 to 4 tunnel adaptors as it seems you have too many of them which can cause connection problems.

You can do it manually by going into Device Manager, top of page to "View" tab then choose "show hidden devices" look to Network Adaptors and uninstall all the tunnel adaptors you see there and reboot your system, a new one will be created automatically.

I also have a file that will do this for you automatically.

Thank you, chev65! I have done as you recommended and removed the tunnel adapters using your attachment. I also ran the IPReset .exe and let my computer restart. I'm still unable to connect to the internet, I'm afraid.


This is what my ipconfig now looks like:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Melissa>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Melissa-laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-1A-04-57-E6-3C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : NB1-DL.COM
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-0D-49-1D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-6A-56-CF-AA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d007:b912:9892:5a13%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.14(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:08:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:08:04 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557930
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-94-98-90-00-26-B9-0D-49-1D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 156.154.119.11
156.154.129.11
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\Melissa>


I apologize for being such a bother!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop connects to wireless router but with no internet access




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
laptop connects to wireless router but does not see it to map network
This ACER system used to work just fine. ACER finds the router and goes online. Brother printer connected to router via Ethernet cable. it does not map anything. ACER laptop comes up as nothing found. When I fired up my HP laptop to look for network addresses and such the Acer could see my...
Network & Sharing
Wireless-N AP router cant have internet access
i recently bought this wireless n ap router, i havent set it up yet so its currently set to factory default settings. I have my ADSL modem (monthly paid) connected directly to router and router to pc. my devices and pc can connect to router but no internet access my modem, pc, devices are...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 connects to router yet says No Internet Access
Earlier today, internet explorer stopped responding and after closing it and reopening it I was brought to the 'Internet explorer cannot display the webpage' :mad: in the taskbar my wireless connection status reads 2WIRE625 connected but No internet access, 2 othe machines in my house are...
Network & Sharing
Laptop losses internet access, but says "connected" to wireless router
I bought a Cisco Valet M10 wireless router a few days ago and I have been having issues where my laptop says that it is connected to network and it shows maximum strength signal, but underneath the network name it says "No internet access". I have already contacted Cisco several times and also HP,...
Network & Sharing
Laptop connects to router = stops internet
Hi, So for some reason, when I try to use my laptop to connect to the Internet here, as soon as I connect, I get a 'Limited or no connectivity message' and the router stops providing access to the Internet for every other computer connected to it (so as soon as I open that laptop and it tries to...
Network & Sharing
Help! Internet wireless connection "connects" but no internet access
Hi all! I was installing a software on my other laptop (it had SQL software with it) and I ran into some trouble as I got error problems that the installation of the software had failed and now whatever I do, I can't access the web! Sure enough, my wireless connection connects successfully and it...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:42.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App