Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7

20 Aug 2012   #1
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7

Ok, so I have recently had a new computer in my house and so because it is a main desktop computer, I thought that I'd change my laptop from being the main homegroup provider. However doing this has caused me some issues. I have managed to get all of the other laptops off the homegroup and joined to the new homegroup I have created on the desktop computer.

The problem is that when I try to leave the homegroup it consistently comes up with the same message. "Windows cannot remove your computer from the homegroup." I have also found that I cannot change my password or even find this homegroup again on any other computer that is joined to my network.

I have already searched the windows 7 forum to see if there is any help, and the results have been promising in most cases. However not in mine.
I then followed this forum site to see if it could help
Cannot leave Homegroup
I did what it told me to and that is go to and type this "system.config" into the search start menu, go onto services and enabled "Peer networking Identity manager" and "Peer Networking grouping" I saw that the Peer networking grouping option was stopped and so I went on, and in the search start menu, I typed services.msc and hit enter. I then scrolled down and went onto Peer network grouping and attempted to start that. It unfortunately did not work. It came up with a message and an error:

"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"
So I tried restarting my computer at this point and followed on with the next instructions:

I then did a system scan (I did this by typing cmd into the start menu, running it as administrator, and then typing /scannow. The scan came back clear and said nothing was wrong.


After restarting I went to this location
C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
and I deleted the contents in it. And yet again I did another system restart. However the same outcome appears and I still cannot leave the homegroup. I have unfortunately had to empty the recycle bin as it was too large and the files that was in this location is now lost.

I have noticed recently though that when I type in system.config and go onto services, I have found that Homegroup listener and Provider are checked but are also stopped. < Could this be the case or have I done something else wrong in the process of getting to here?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Aug 2012   #2
bassfisher6522

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Try this....


start the Task Manager
Click on the service Tab
Find the "HomeGroupProvider"
AND STOP IT!!!!

Then try and leave the network. I got it from this thread.....

Cannot leave Homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BiggestT4 View Post
Ok, so I have recently had a new computer in my house and so because it is a main desktop computer, I thought that I'd change my laptop from being the main homegroup provider. However doing this has caused me some issues. I have managed to get all of the other laptops off the homegroup and joined to the new homegroup I have created on the desktop computer.

The problem is that when I try to leave the homegroup it consistently comes up with the same message. "Windows cannot remove your computer from the homegroup." I have also found that I cannot change my password or even find this homegroup again on any other computer that is joined to my network.

I have already searched the windows 7 forum to see if there is any help, and the results have been promising in most cases. However not in mine.
I then followed this forum site to see if it could help
Cannot leave Homegroup
I did what it told me to and that is go to and type this "system.config" into the search start menu, go onto services and enabled "Peer networking Identity manager" and "Peer Networking grouping" I saw that the Peer networking grouping option was stopped and so I went on, and in the search start menu, I typed services.msc and hit enter. I then scrolled down and went onto Peer network grouping and attempted to start that. It unfortunately did not work. It came up with a message and an error:

"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"
So I tried restarting my computer at this point and followed on with the next instructions:

I then did a system scan (I did this by typing cmd into the start menu, running it as administrator, and then typing /scannow. The scan came back clear and said nothing was wrong.


After restarting I went to this location
C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
and I deleted the contents in it. And yet again I did another system restart. However the same outcome appears and I still cannot leave the homegroup. I have unfortunately had to empty the recycle bin as it was too large and the files that was in this location is now lost.

I have noticed recently though that when I type in system.config and go onto services, I have found that Homegroup listener and Provider are checked but are also stopped. < Could this be the case or have I done something else wrong in the process of getting to here?
Did you go to Folder Options/View tab and set to "Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives" before you deleted the contents of C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

I have a few more solved threads about this same problem.
Homegroup Not Working
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2012   #4
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Try this....


start the Task Manager
Click on the service Tab
Find the "HomeGroupProvider"
AND STOP IT!!!!

Then try and leave the network. I got it from this thread.....

Cannot leave Homegroup
I have done that and it was previously stopped. So that doesn't seemed to have worked, Thanks for the try though
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #5
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BiggestT4 View Post
Ok, so I have recently had a new computer in my house and so because it is a main desktop computer, I thought that I'd change my laptop from being the main homegroup provider. However doing this has caused me some issues. I have managed to get all of the other laptops off the homegroup and joined to the new homegroup I have created on the desktop computer.

The problem is that when I try to leave the homegroup it consistently comes up with the same message. "Windows cannot remove your computer from the homegroup." I have also found that I cannot change my password or even find this homegroup again on any other computer that is joined to my network.

I have already searched the windows 7 forum to see if there is any help, and the results have been promising in most cases. However not in mine.
I then followed this forum site to see if it could help
Cannot leave Homegroup
I did what it told me to and that is go to and type this "system.config" into the search start menu, go onto services and enabled "Peer networking Identity manager" and "Peer Networking grouping" I saw that the Peer networking grouping option was stopped and so I went on, and in the search start menu, I typed services.msc and hit enter. I then scrolled down and went onto Peer network grouping and attempted to start that. It unfortunately did not work. It came up with a message and an error:

"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"
So I tried restarting my computer at this point and followed on with the next instructions:

I then did a system scan (I did this by typing cmd into the start menu, running it as administrator, and then typing /scannow. The scan came back clear and said nothing was wrong.


After restarting I went to this location
C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking
and I deleted the contents in it. And yet again I did another system restart. However the same outcome appears and I still cannot leave the homegroup. I have unfortunately had to empty the recycle bin as it was too large and the files that was in this location is now lost.

I have noticed recently though that when I type in system.config and go onto services, I have found that Homegroup listener and Provider are checked but are also stopped. < Could this be the case or have I done something else wrong in the process of getting to here?
Did you go to Folder Options/View tab and set to "Show Hidden Files,Folders and Drives" before you deleted the contents of C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

I have a few more solved threads about this same problem.
Homegroup Not Working
No I did not show hidden files and folders, I'll try that..... I cannot find "PeerNetworking" Because I have deleted that folder, so therefore if there was anything in it, it has gone now. And as for hidden files and folders, there is nothing else that has popped up.
Any other advice you have for me?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #6
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

I have devised some screenshots to show you what is happening when I try to use your information. I am very sorry that there are so many of them, however I thought I'd better show you everything so that you know what is going on. I have highlighted the fields where the information is coming from. I hope that these screen captures will help you to help me on what to do, en route to having a proper, working Homegroup again. Thank you


Attached Thumbnails
Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having2.jpg   Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having9.jpg   Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having8.jpg   Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having6.jpg   Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having6a.jpg  

Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having7.jpg  
Attached Images
Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having5.jpg Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having10.jpg Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7-issues-im-having4.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Have you tried running the sfc/scannow command to see if there are any corrupted files?

Perhaps following the steps in the link below will help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...1-791cc848755e
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #8
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Yes I have tried to do the system scan and there is a message that comes up saying

"Windows resource protection did not find any integritry violations"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #9
BiggestT4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Have you tried running the sfc/scannow command to see if there are any corrupted files?

Perhaps following the steps in the link below will help.

HomeGroup: error 0x80630203 / Leaving/joining the homegroup is not possible
Ok so I went onto the website you gave me, and unfortunately these solutions didn't work either. Is there anything else I can do to leave the homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2012   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BiggestT4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Have you tried running the sfc/scannow command to see if there are any corrupted files?

Perhaps following the steps in the link below will help.

HomeGroup: error 0x80630203 / Leaving/joining the homegroup is not possible
Ok so I went onto the website you gave me, and unfortunately these solutions didn't work either. Is there anything else I can do to leave the homegroup
That covers most solution available for the problem you are describing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Difficulty leaving my homegroup in windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What exactly does leaving the Homegroup option in Windows 7 do?
I don't share anything with anybody on this PC & it seems installing Windows 7, it automatically defaults Home Group to being on. If I select "leave Home Group". Will that affect me in any negative way? I never saved any files to a public Homegroup folder. The way it is worded, it sounds like I...
Network & Sharing
Can't Share Users Files After Leaving Homegroup
Hello all, I have been scratching my head for a few days on this and I'm tapped out and need help. So here's the setup. File sharing was originally working fine (using traditional method). Then I thought I would try Homegroups. That turned out to not work for me because of many reasons,...
Network & Sharing
Hook up to printer after leaving homegroup to laptop
;)I personally hate the Homegroup. I would like to remove my laptop from it and was wondering if I do so will I be able to hook my computer up to my laptop? Thanks.
Network & Sharing
Difficulty in using the Easycap USB 2,0 capture device in my windows 7
I have got a n5010 Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop on which i cant install the the Easycap USB 2.0 driver. Please help.
Drivers
Difficulty using Windows Explorer - please advise
I am having difficulty using Windows Explorer. I am used to working in Explorer with two panes side by side and I can do that now. I work on files, for example tagging music files, and then when prepared I drag n' drop them from my Workshop folder to the relevant Music folder on my Ext Hard Drive....
General Discussion
Difficulty Installing Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 720
Been scouring the net but haven't been able to find anything so I thought I'd post. Sorry if there's been a lot of these types of threads but here's my issue. Installation of the operating system for Windows 7 actually goes without much difficulty but when I go into the post install setup the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App